Oatmeal Shakes

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Oatmeal Shakes

Postby Wendy » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:26 pm

Based on the premise that brown rice is a MWL food, but rice flour isn't because it's refined, here's my question:

If I made an oatmeal shake out of uncooked oatmeal and water, is it still as good as eating cooked oatmeal?

In other words, does the cutting of the oatmeal by the blades of the blender move it into the "flour" category?
Wendy

Re: Oatmeal Shakes

Postby JeffN » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:52 pm

Hi Wendy,

Wendy wrote:is it still as good as eating cooked oatmeal?

No it is not the same.

Wendy wrote:In other words, does the cutting of the oatmeal by the blades of the blender move it into the "flour" category?

No, it is not in the flour category but there are degrees of influence of the grinding process and the less the better. The reason is, the more you grind up food, the more of the surface area you expose, the quicker it is absorbed the more likely it can effect blood sugar and insulin and the more of it you can consume.

Therefore:

--the less blending, processing, etc we do and the more we get to use out teeth and facial muscles in chewing, the better. Chewing is an important part of the digestive process which can not be replaces by a blender. :)

--In addition, if someone was watching their blood sugars, or their triglycerides, I would rather see them consume their fruits/foods more whole and less blended/processed.

-- Studies have shown that people can eat more when their food is blended up (ie smoothie), so if someone was trying to lose weight, consuming the whole food would be better.

You may want to read this discussion we had on blending and processing of food.

http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7907

In HEalth
Jeff
JeffN

Does that go for soups too?

Postby yogini girl » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:38 pm

Hi Jeff:
I make alot of soups - I especially like them in the winter. Yesterday I made a soup with a bunch of kale, swiss chard, onion, garlic, sweet potatoes, buttercup squash and parsley. After cooking all of that I put it in the food processor and puree it. I serve it with brown rice and beans. Would it still be better to eat all of that as whole food instead of the soup?
Thanks for your reply.
Jessica
Let the beauty we love be what we do. RUMI
yogini girl

Re: Does that go for soups too?

Postby JeffN » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:49 pm

yogini girl wrote:Hi Jeff:
I make alot of soups - I especially like them in the winter. Yesterday I made a soup with a bunch of kale, swiss chard, onion, garlic, sweet potatoes, buttercup squash and parsley. After cooking all of that I put it in the food processor and puree it. I serve it with brown rice and beans. Would it still be better to eat all of that as whole food instead of the soup?
Thanks for your reply.
Jessica

Hi Jessica,

I am not as concerned with the effect of the occasional blending of vegetables, green leafy vegetables and non starchy vegetables as I am of the effect on fruits, grains and starchy veggies due to the potential impact on the carbohydrates/sugars

However, again, as an occasional meal, or as in the situation you mention above, as a soup that is part of a meal that is being served along with rice and beans, I am not that worried at all.

Enjoy! It sounds delicious! :)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD