Your favorite kid-friendly meals

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Your favorite kid-friendly meals

Postby willow » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:52 am

Lets make a list on this board of our favorite kid-friendly meals.
Recipes are great! Linking to other threads is fine too, if you have a favorite.

I figure if we have a thread in the meal planning issues board that newcomers can find help quickly (since the lounge is so huge!!). :-D
“I will do today what others will not do, so that tomorrow I can do what others cannot do.”
-- Star McDougaller, July 2008
willow

mac and cheese

Postby ncyg46 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:00 pm

love that! Susans from fatfreevegan is wonderful and makes alot but the one ingredient I don't care for is the smoked paprika. I like Bryanna Clark Grogans recipe and also Mary's. I also have one from Neal Pinckney??? that uses great northern beans for the base...I love them all. I am still trying them all! There is one more on Susan's site but I can't remember how it was, ate it too fast!!!!! and I am using the fasta pasta cooker!
probaby why i gained a few pounds, trying all the recipes from the chef weekend....gotta get back to normal!
ncyg46

Postby willow » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:18 am

We got home late from grocery shopping/errands the other day. The kids and I just fixed a bunch of cut veggies, some dip/dressing for them and I toasted up some bread (Italian -- so not healthy) -- after toasting I rubbed a fresh garlic clove over it.

The kids told me we should do this each time we come home from shopping. It was a hit!
“I will do today what others will not do, so that tomorrow I can do what others cannot do.”
willow

Postby willow » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:22 am

willow

kids meals

Postby NDwanabe » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:08 pm

my kids really enjoy eating slices of Jicama. I slice it thin and then they can add a little sea salt and garlic or agave nectar and cinammon for a sweet treat. The slices are big, so it can also serve as a mini tortilla and they like it filled with fruit, specially raspberries from our garden. My son also likes it with avocado.

Tonight I made forbidden rice (the purple looking one) and I cooked in in a mix of water and orange juice, then after cooked added crunchy celery pieces and fresh tomato chunks. The kids devoured it and asked if they could take some for lunch to school.

Izzy.
Izzy
NDwanabe

Postby Dale Jackson » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:33 am

Well I babysit my 14 mo. old grandson and feed him lunch and sometimes supper every weekday. There was a big discussion about "what to feed a toddler" that I started a while back, but I won't go into all that. I will just list some of the things I feed him (with his mom's permission) and other kid friendly meals. Right now of course he's into finger foods and just starting to learn to use a spoon.

He likes any kind of cooked veggies, such as peas, corn, beans, sliced okra, green beans, cubed boiled potatoes, sweet potatoes, spinach, etc. He also loves squash, esp. acorn squash which is the first solid vegetable we introduced him to at 6 months. Surprisingly he also loves turnip greens.

He loves natural (no sugar added) applesauce and bananas, but doesn't like canned fruit.

I also make him fruit smoothies from fresh fruit.

He eats a little whole wheat bread and whole wheat crackers but his favorite snack is graham crackers. He also eats brown rice. I get the kind in little individual microwave cups.

We don't give him any juice because the concentrated sugar in juices might give him cavities (he has 12 teeth now).

I am going to try making him almond butter sandwiches with All Fruit spread and see how he likes them.
Dale Jackson

Vegan Lunch Box

Postby Dale Jackson » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:41 am

Oh I wanted to add that I found this wonderful website a few months ago called the Vegan Lunchbox. It's all about kid friendly meals.

http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/

There's also a book out called The Vegan Lunchbox. You can get it directly from the author:

http://www.veganlunchbox.com/

or from Amazon.com or Barnes & Noble. Some libraries also have it as well as another book that I like called The Family Vegan.
Dale Jackson

Banana French Toast a New Kids Favorite

Postby talkingmountain » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:10 pm

Fat-free Banana "French Toast" was a HIT with my picky 9-yr old, both fresh off the frying pan for breakfast, and cut into bite-sized pieces at room temp for the lunchbox. Leftovers (fully cooked) froze well.

This recipe actually got her to eat 100% whole grain bread and LIKE it. Wonders never cease!

I made a few minor changes to the recipe, which is from fatfreevegan.com

Banana French Toast (with minor adaptations)

(per fatfreevegan.com, the original recipe is by Lorna Sass' Short-Cut Vegetarian) Serving Size : 8

2 cups Sliced bananas (2 med.)
3/4 cup unsweetenened almond or rice milk (origina recipe uses Vanilla soy milk)
1/4 tsp. vanilla
1 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
8 slices Whole wheat bread
Vegetable oil spray (optional)

Yield: 8 slices

Place the bananas, non-dairy milk, vanilla, and cinnamon in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Pour the mixture into a pie plate or wide, shallow bowl.

Dip each slice of bread into the mixture, making sure it absorbs the liquid well.

Cook each slice on a hot, non-stick griddle.

Cook over medium high heat until browned, and then flip to brown on the other side. For nicer browning/crisping, briefly mist each slice after cooking and then cook the sprayed side for a minute or so more.

Serve immediately, accompanied by your favorite topping.

Freeze leftovers after they have fully cooled; use later as a quick snack or lunchbox filler, accompanied by maple syrup as a dip.
talkingmountain

Postby Chrmann » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:24 pm

Here are some recipes that my Grandchildren LOVE:

Black Bean Pizza

Favorite pizza crust recipe
2 cups black beans or one 15 oz can, rinsed and drained
Spaghetti Sauce
Pickled Banana Peppers, sliced

Cook pizza crust about 5 minutes in a 450 degree oven. Take out of oven.
Spread beans on top of crust. Spread spaghetti sauce over beans to cover. Put banana peppers on top. I use these heavily. Put pizza back in oven to finish cooking.

You or they will not miss the cheese. I came up with this recipe years ago when I found out I could no longer eat cheese because I was allergic to dairy. AND, I love cheese. This is what I eat now. And, my whole family likes it.

Hawaiian Tacos

Lettuce, chopped
Cauliflower, separated
flour tortilla shells
Mixed Beans, rinsed and drained
Pineapple salsa

Make salsa and refrigerate at least 2 hours:
3 Roma tomatoes, chopped
1 cup seeded chunk cucumber
8 oz. crushed pineapple or tidbits, drained
1/3 cup chopped onion
7 drops habanero sauce or 2 jalapenos seeded and chopped
1 Tablespoon brown sugar

-Put tortillas into bowl shell shaper. Cook until crisp. Cool.
-Layer salad in tortilla bowls: lettuce
cauliflower
Beans
Salsa

Gingerbread
(delish! Tastes like ole-timey gingerbread)

1/2 cup raisons
1/2 cup chopped pitted dates
1 3/4 cup water
3/4 cup molasses
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 cups spelt flour
2 teaspoons Featherweight Baking Powder

-Use a non-stick 9 inch square pan or spray PAM in your pan.
-Combine dried fruit, water and molasses in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
-Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
Mix remaining ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Then stir dry ingredients into cooked fruit mixture.
-Immediately pour into a 9 inch square pan (or pan of choice).
-Bake 35 minutes or until toothpick stuck in center comes out clean.

Chili

3 cups low sodium V-8 juice or tomato juice
3/4 cup Kasha
2 cans Del-Monte no-salt stewed tomatoes
with onions, celery and green peppers
3 carrots, sliced and cooked (pre-cook to tenderize)
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
sprinkle of black pepper
3 Tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon dried sweet basil, crushed
4 medium cloves garlic, crushed
1 (15 oz.) can red kidney beans
1 (15 oz.) can garbanzo beans
1 (15 oz.) can black beans

-I cook this in a cast iron dutch oven. Place V-8 juice or tomato juice in dutch oven and bring to a boil. When juice starts to boil, add Kasha and let sit for 15 minutes.
-In another pan (I use pressure cooker for this), cook carrots until tender.
I pressure them for about 2 minutes. It takes much longer when just cooked on stove and I do what is quicker.
-Once Kasha has sat for the 15 minutes, add remaining ingredients and cook for 30 minutes .
-IMPORTANT: Add water as needed so Kasha will not stick. It sticks real easy so don't leave the room! I usually stir it every few minutes.
-Tastes great served with cornbread. I make milletbread because I'm allergic to corn.

Stuffed Potatoes
(8 servings)

4 large baking potatoes, cooked
1/2 cup plain soy yogurt or vegan sour cream
1/2 of a 10 oz. package frozen, chopped broccoli
1 Tablespoon Mrs. dash Garlic and Herb Seasoning

-Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
-Cook broccoli in microwave according to package directions. Squeeze dry.
-Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out the inside, leaving a thin potato shell.
-Mash potato pulp with the sour cream or yogurt. Add the cooked broccoli
and Mrs. dash seasoning. Mix well.
-Add potato mixture back into the potato shells.
-Bake 15-20 minutes.

My Granddaughter is wild about the recipe that has large shells stuffed with potatoes and spaghetti sauce over them. Can't remember whose recipe it is. But, I add either chopped, cooked broccoli or cooked spinach and 1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb seasoning to the potato mixture before stuffing the shells. This is then put in a 9 x 13 dish with spaghetti sauce on the bottom, then shells and spaghetti sauce on top and baked. I cheat and use instant mashed potatoes because it is quicker to fix when the kids are ready to eat!

Mock Tuna Salad Pita's
(makes 8 sandwiches)

4 pita bread
1 teaspoon Mrs. dash Garlic and Herb seasoning
1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1 stalk celery
mixture of: lettuce, carrots and rd cabbage
1 small container broccoli sprouts, rinsed and drained

-Put garbanzo beans and celery in food processor and process on high for a few seconds, until beans and celery are chopped medium-fine. Add Mrs. Dash seasoning to mixture and stir well.
-Cut pita bread in half. Ope and fill each pocket with 3/4 cup chopped lettuce mix. Put 1/4 cup garbanzo mixture on top of the lettuce mix. Then, top with broccoli sprouts.

Banana CranRaison Muffins -YUM! - they ask for this often
(12 muffins)

1 cup spelt flour
3 teaspoons Featherweight Baking Powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup mashed banana (about 3 medium bananas)
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons flax meal
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
1 cup quick cooking oats
1/4 cup apple juice or pear juice
1/2 cup CranRaisons

-Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
-Mix dry ingredients together and set aside.
-Mash bananas and mix other wet ingredients with the bananas.
-Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix.
-Spoon batter into a non-stick muffin tin.
-Bake 18-20 minutes.
NOTE: can substitute Blueberries for the CranRaisons. Both taste good!

Potato Soup

6 large white potatoes, cubed
2 large carrots, chopped small
1 1/2 cups broccoli, chopped small
1 cup cauliflower, chopped small
1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
pinch tumeric
1/2 teaspoon Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb seasoning

-I chop the broccoli, carrots and cauliflower in the food processor. (I came up with this recipe after I had chopped broccoli, carrots and cauliflower left over after making vegetable pizza for a wedding shower. You know, the kind with crescent rolls and a cream cheese frosting and then the veggies.
-Put cubed potatoes, ch. broccoli, cauliflower and carrots and seasonings in a saucepan. Cover with water to 1 inch above vegetables. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender. Will thicken as potatoes break down (like stewed potatoes). If gets too thick, add some water. If too thin, add a few instant potatoes to the soup. You want the mixture to look like stewed potatoes and not too thick.
Note: My grandchildren love this when they are sick!

I have more recipes but tired of typing!
Chrmann
Chrmann

Postby fulenn » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:05 pm

Chrmann,

Thank you so much for posting this. I am having some trouble, after 9 or so weeks on this, finding food that my children enjoy and will eat frequently. I found a couple of things that I will try this week that sound really good and not too difficult. We have been eating a LOT of spagetti and oatmeal (not together.)

Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby somnolent » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:13 am

Chrmann, my daughter loved the potato soup! Thanks!
somnolent

Some more recipes

Postby Chrmann » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:26 am

My Grandaughter HATES vegetables and eats mostly chicken. I try to get her to eat vegetables. She spent the night with me just lately and we re-worked some recipes and fixed them. She ate and loved them! I think partly because she helped cook. I let her chop all the vegetables. So, this would be an idea on how to get your children to like what is cooked. Let them help cook the meal. Children like to chop vegetables. If you are afraid to let them use a knife...let them use the food processor to chop the vegetables. My Grandaughter said the Okra & Green Tomato Millet Bread reminded her of hushpuppies (which she likes). She said this was a keeper. She will eat this again (and she's REAL picky!). These recipes are low-sodium and corn-free.

The Meal:
Pinto Bean Soup with Okra and Green Tomato Millet Bread

Pinto Bean Soup

3 cups cooked pinto beans w/o salt, drained
2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 onion, thinly sliced and separated
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke, optional (GrSon liked this in his and so did I)

-Put cooked pinto beans in a large saucepan. Add other ingredients and cover with water 1 to 2 inches above mixture. Cook until vegetables are tender. When the potatoes are tender, the soup is ready. Ladle into soup bowls.

Okra & Green Tomato Millet Bread
(Millet when ground and cooked into bread tastes alot like cornbread)

3/4 cup fresh or frozen okra, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
1 cup green tomato, chopped medium-small
1 medium onion, chopped
1 teaspoon dried granulated garlic (or garlic powder)
1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder (we used 1/4 teas. but might be too
hot or warm for some people. Put in 1/8 teaspoon and add as
needed. My GrDaughter does not like HOT food but liked it with 1/4
teaspoon of the cayenne powder.)
1 Tablespoon Ener-G-type egg replacer
4 Tablespoons water
dash black pepper
1/2 cup unsweetened soymilk (or other non-dairy milk)
*1 cup millet flour
PAM (I used butter flavored)

-Pre-heat sandwich maker.
-Chop vegetables and put in a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients with vegetables and mix well.
-Spray sandwich maker very lightly with PAM, if it needs it to keep from sticking.
-Put vegetable mixture into pockets in the sandwich maker, close lid and cook until browned on both sides or when light goes off. If it is not brown enough, let it cook until the light goes off again or check occasionally to see if it is as brown as you want it to be.
-This made 8 triangular pockets. We each had 2 pockets with a bowl of soup. I had to make another batch because my Grandchildren liked it so much they ate 4 pockets each. Ha!

*Millet Flour: I grind dried millet cereal in my coffee grinder until it looks like cornmeal.

Ener-G-Type-Egg Replacer
(no corn or salt)

1 cup potato starch
3/4 cup tapioca flour
2 teaspoons Featherweight baking powder

-Mix all well
-Store in airtight container. I store mine in a glass canning jar with lid.
-Tape recipe and instructions on jar.
-Store in kitchen cabinet.

To use:
1 & 1/2 teaspoons powder + 2 tablespoons water = 1 egg
1 & 1/2 teaspoons powder + 1 Tablespoon water = 1 egg yolk
Chrmann

Postby Letha » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:07 pm

I must be a big kid because these recipes look fabulous to me. :-D

I’ve seen kids who won’t eat any veggies drink green smoothies.

2 cups water
2 bananas
1 cup frozen strawberries
2 cups romaine lettuce or baby spinach or raw kale

Blend and drink. Serve it in a fun glass with a bendy straw. These blend better with a vita-mix or a blendtec.

Letha
Letha

Letha...

Postby Chrmann » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:49 pm

Blender Smoothies sound good!

My Grandkids would drink that.

Does anyone have any other "blender smoothie" recipes? If so, post them, please.
Chrmann

Postby green smothie junkie » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:04 pm

My, almost, 3 year old absolutely loves his green smoothies! He's been drinking them since he was about 10 months and asks for them nearly everyday.

Recipe options are endless, here is a simple one that I recomend to those starting out with green smoothies:

2 ripe bananas, from the peel or frozen
1/2 cup of another fruit (pineapple, apple, blueberry, mango, peach)
1 1/2 cup fresh greens (~3 kale leaves or ~3 chard leaves or ~1 big handful spinach)
16 oz water

optional (for added sweetness if necessary):
2 or 3 fresh dates

Blend and enjoy!

Great for the whole family
green smothie junkie

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning