I want to get the chemicals out of my life!

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

I want to get the chemicals out of my life!

Postby Nettie » Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:12 am

Folks, now that I've got my innards cleaned out through the McDougall Program, I'm become interested in improving the outside of my body. I'm talking about the personal care products (soaps, makeup, lotions, shampoos) as well as the household products (dish detergent, etc.) that I use.

I'm convinced that the chemicals contained in personal care and household products we use are causing some of the rampant cancer cases we're seeing in America. I've done a little research lately and have come up with the following list of chemicals to avoid:
1) Antibacterials - antibacterial agents such as Triclosan encourage the rise of drug-resistant bacteria (Do we really need antibacterial Windex??)
2) Coal-tar colors - FD&C (Blue 1, Green 3, Yellow 5, Yellow 6) or D&C (Red 33) are known carcinogens.
3) Diethanolamine (DEA) and Triethanolamine (TEA) - can be contaminated with nitrosamines, which cause cancer in lab animals. Found in shampoos.
4) Formaldehyde - found in eye shadows, mascara, etc. Present in the ingredients DMDM hydantoin, diazolidinyl urea, and quaternium 15. Bronopol (often listed as 2-bromo-2-nitropropane-1,3-diol) breaks down to produce formaldehyde and cancer-causing nitrosamines. Classified as a probable human cardinogen.
5) Glycol Ethers - listed on labels as EGPE, EGME, EGEE, DEGBE, PDME DPGME and those with "methyl" in their names. Hazardous to the reproductive system.
6) Heavy Metals Lead and Mercury - brain- and nervous-system toxin and cardinogens. Found in hair dyes and makeup.
7) Parabens - butyl-, methyl-, ethyl- and propyl-parabens are used in underarm deodorants. They have been found in tissue samples from human breast tumors.
8. Petrolatum (vaseline, petroleum jelly) - Causes allergic reactions. Found in lipsticks, Chapstick, baby creams, eye shadow.
9) Phenylenediamine (PPD) - found in hairdyes, banned in Europe. Also called oxidation dyes, amino dyes, para dyes, or peroxide dyes.
10) Phthalates - used in fragrances, deodorants, nail polish, hair products & lotions. Various members of this family of chemical plasticizers have been found to cause cancer of the liver, birth defects in lab animals, etc. Hidden behind the term "fragrance," so "fragrance-free" products should be chosen.
11) Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) - causes severe changes to the skin of mice.
12) Toluene - solvent found in nail products can cause liver damage, skin & respiratory tract irritation.

I would like to solicit further ideas from others as to the safety of these and other chemicals. If you know of other chemicals to avoid to add to the list above, please post those.
I plan to go shopping at my health food store soon and I would love for you folks to recommend some products for me to use. I'm specifically looking for soaps (both bar and liquid hand soap) and lotions for dry skin and shampoo. I'm not a big makeup user, but I do use eye liner every day, so makeup suggestions would be welcome.
I'm also interested in cleaning products, especially dish detergent.

This is a new area in which I'm trying to become an informed consumer, so any assistance and advice would be most welcome. I'm primarily looking for products that are not only efficacious, but safe. No sense having nice, smooth skin while giving myself cancer! :confused:

Nettie
Nettie

Postby DianeR » Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:51 am

No insights from me. I just wanted to subscribe to this thread and say it is a wonderful idea.

What about aluminum? I know Dr. McDougall recommends against using antiperspirants with it.

To what you have said about dangers, I've seen people who react to sodium lauryl sulfate. They have blemishes they can't get rid of (specifically I was researching perioral dermititis) no matter what, get rid of the SLS and things improve. Also folks report the same experience with fluoride. The skin around my mouth improved quite a bit after I switched to a nonfluoride toothpaste.

I know that the safety of fluoride is a huge issue and we aren't going to settle it here :D I'm not even sure where I come out, because I've never had the time to read through all the literature. There is an article in the latest Scientific American, though, reporting the results of a task force looking into it, which concluded that the maximum water fluoridation level might need to be lower, there are all of these other sources too, there is evidence of harm if you have too much, and really, we DO need more study (they always conclude that :lol: )
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts. --
Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan
DianeR

Postby Ladybug » Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:13 am

I am interested too. What about lipstick. A while back saw where lots of lipstick had lead, haven't heard any more on it. Never did heard which brands to use or avoid.
Ladybug

Postby dlb » Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:23 am

Nettie -

I agree with you. Everything you put on your skin is absorbed into your system. That is why they use medicated patches these days. I read an article a while back where a London based doctor studied tumors removed from breast cancer patients. All of them had common products used in everyday cosmetics in them.

Here are some of the alternative products I have used.

Cosmetics - Sante Organic Cosmetics have a wide variety. I cannot get them locally so I order over the internet. They have their own site. Also Gabriel sells lipsticks that I get locally at a healthfood store. They are wonderful.

Shampoos - My favorite is Sea Chi Tasmanian Lavendar Shampoo. I get it from David Wolf's sunfood.com. Also 5 Elements makes great shampoos, purchased from the same site.

Skin Care - I don't use much but what I have I have also gotten from sunfood.com. They are very trustworthy. I have used the MSM Aloe Care for special needs (bug bites, rashes) and it works great. If I am going to be out in the sun for extended periods, I use Sunfood Sunscreen. It works great.

Cleansers - I use Seventh Generation products that I purchase at my local health food store. For my parrots dishes, dog dishes I use GSE to disinfect after washing. You can spray it on anything, put it in the dishwasher, washing machine, etc.

Deodorant - I have used the Crystal Body Rock for years. It works great.

Soap - Dr. Bronner's soaps are the only ones I have tried. Since I liked them I ventured no further.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

By the way I am new to posting on this site but have read some of your previous posting. Congratulations on your wonderful progress. You have truly been a inspiration to me. There have been times I have wanted to jump through the computer and give you a great big hug!

Donna
dlb

Postby mollyfisher » Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:25 am

The lead lipstick thing is an urban legend. Look it up on Snopes.com.
mollyfisher

One more thing

Postby dlb » Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:26 am

By the way I have used Tom's toothpaste without flouride for over 15 years. In all that time I have not had a cavity. I do have gum issues which came about before I stoped using flouride in my toothpaste. Since stopping they have stablized.
dlb

Postby Nettie » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:31 am

DianeR wrote:No insights from me. What about aluminum? I know Dr. McDougall recommends against using antiperspirants with it.

Interestingly, I remember back in the early 70's I saw a report on TV about the high levels of aluminum found in the brains of Alzheimer's patients. I thought, hmmm, what are the sources of aluminum in our environment? The only 2 sources I could think of were the aluminum chlorhydrate mentioned in the antiperspirant ads, and the aluminum cookware I was using. I never was a user of antiperspirants anyway, but I switched to stainless steel cookware.

Sadly, I saw a McDougall TV program on which he interviewed some guy who had a problem with stainless steel cookware. Seems the metal chromium is in the stainless steel, and it's a known toxin to humans. :\ So now, based on his recommendation, I've purchased and started using Corning Ware's Visions glass cookware. I still use my beloved stainless cookware, but just not as much. I've asked for and gotten some more Visions for Christmas, so I'll be doing even more of that type of cooking.

Nettie
Nettie

Postby Nettie » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:37 am

dlb wrote:I agree with you. Everything you put on your skin is absorbed into your system. That is why they use medicated patches these days. I read an article a while back where a London based doctor studied tumors removed from breast cancer patients. All of them had common products used in everyday cosmetics in them.

Here are some of the alternative products I have used.....
Donna

Thanks for this, Donna! This is exactly the type of information/testimonials I was looking for. :-D
My husband has been using the Crystal Rock thingy for years, but I found it was not effective for me. I use Lavilin cream, which works great, and I only apply it when I need it. For me, that's about every 2-3 months in the winter, maybe every 2 weeks in the summer. I'm cool natured, I'm not hairy, and I don't sweat much. (Is this too much information for everyone? :oops: )

Nettie
Nettie

Postby sunnystuf » Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:31 am

I have not used any of those harmful chemicals in 18 years. I get all my skincare, makeup, personal and household products from a company called Sunrider. You can look at what they have at www.sunrider.com.

No petro-chemicals or lead in the skincare or makeup etc. I am not exactly sure if it is the way I have eaten or the fact that I don't put yucky stuff on my face or both, but I look a great deal younger than my age.

I work in the cosmetics industry and could tell you horror stories about what they put into most of the lines to cut cost.

Stephanie
sunnystuf

Postby sigma957 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:32 pm

I want to put in a word for cleaning products from Trader Joes, if you have one nearby. I use their laundry detergent and dish soap. I also buy their powdered dishwasher detergent and mix it with washing soap and borax to stretch it. Does a great job.

Dr Bronner's soaps are great. If you need antibacterial, use the one with tea tree oil. I have been using Jason toothpastes for a while now. And for deodorant, I use a crystal, not sure of the brand.

Barbara
sigma957

Postby Quiver0f10 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:17 pm

Check to make sure your baking powder is aluminum free. I believe Rumford's is.
Jean
Quiver0f10

Postby Lacey » Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:34 pm

mollyfisher wrote:The lead lipstick thing is an urban legend. Look it up on Snopes.com.

I read the Snopes age you referenced but I am going to disagree. The Snopes page is dated 2003 and here is an article from October 2007 that says otherwise: http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/oct2007 ... -15-04.asp

The full report can be downloaded by following a link on this webpage: http://www.safecosmetics.org/your_health/poisonkiss.cfm
Lacey

Postby stephanie » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:38 am

Great thread! This has been a goal of mine over the last 6 months or so, and it's a challenge since we live in an environment that abounds with so many artificial and toxic ingredients and chemicals that most people don't even question their safety or necessity. :(

First, a great website for checking on specific ingredients and brands is http://skindeep.ewg.org (Another great thing somewhere on Environmental Working Group's main site is a listing of the types of produce that are the "dirtiest" in terms of pesticide residues, etc., so you have an idea which are the most important to buy organic.)

In this whole quest for "more natural" toiletries, cleaning products, etc., I've found that even a lot of the "natural" brands that you find at health food-type stores are still full of chemicals that may be okay but still seem unnecessary. After all, only a few generations ago, people didn't have all of these products but still managed. So I've been looking for the most simple solutions possible and after some experimentation have found some things that work great. Here's what I currently use:

For hair:
-Instead of shampoo, I use baking soda. I take 1-2 T of baking soda, mix in a small cup with enough water to make a paste, then apply it to the roots of my wet hair and scrub it all over my scalp. After leaving it on for a minute or so, I rinse it out.
-Then, instead of conditioner, I use apple cider vinegar to rinse any buildup out. I take 1-2 T of cider vinegar, dilute it in a cup with about 1 c. water, then pour the solution over my hair from just below the roots to the ends. After a minute or so, I rinse it out.
-(Note on the baking soda-cider vinegar routine: I didn't really have any issues with it, but when I was reading about it online, some people said that it took them a few days or weeks to have their hair "adjust" from using regular shampoo/conditioner. Because you're not using a lot of surfactants like sodium laureth sulfate that strip away all of your hair's moisture, it may take your hair/scalp a little while to "figure out" that it doesn't need to produce a lot of oil to replace what's constantly being stripped away. So just as a heads-up, if you try this, give it a little time before you decide it doesn't work--it may just be an issue of adjusting. On a personal note, I've always had very dry hair, and with this method of washing it, it's the least dry it's ever been.)
-If you need a little extra moisture on the ends, you can use a little olive or coconut oil.
-Instead of hair gel for my curly hair, I make my own using what is apparently the same "recipe" as what women in the 1920's used to set their curls. I boil 1/3 cup of water, then add 1 tsp whole flax seeds and simmer for a few minutes until it's just starting to have a gel-like consistency. Then I immediately turn off the heat and strain out the seeds. The liquid that's left works just as well as gel. Because it has no preservatives, it's best to make small batches and keep it in the fridge.

For skin:
-I love Kiss My Face brand soap. They make a bar soap that's just water, olive oil, and salt. Just as with the baking soda-vinegar hair washing method, this soap doesn't strip away your skin's natural oils (especially if you don't shower with super-hot water), so your skin may take a small amount of time to adjust its oil production, but it's worth it. My skin has always been very dry, but even in cold PA winter weather with indoor heating, so far this winter I hardly need to use any moisturizers at all, even on my hands.
-If you like liquid soap, a castile soap like Dr. Bronner's is good too.
-For all-over skin moisturizer, I just use coconut oil. It's a saturated fat, so in cooler weather if solidifies, but if you scoop out a little with your fingers, it quickly melts with your body heat. Because it's a pure fat, it can take a little longer than conventional lotion to absorb into your skin, so you may have to wait a little longer before putting on clothes after you apply it. It has a great but subtle tropical smell, too. :)
-For my hands, I use pure shea butter. Like the coconut oil, it solidifies at room temperature but quickly melts with body heat.
-For deodorant, I use baking soda mixed with just enough water to make a paste. (Usually I just scoop out the little bit left in the cup after I shampoo and put it on my armpits after I dry off.) I figure that if it absorbs odors from the fridge, why not body odor too? :)
-(Note on soaps/moisturizers: I've found that by using less soap less often, my body has adjusted the amount of oil it produces so that I need to shower less and use less moisturizer. I shower ever other day and have no problem with my skin getting too oily in between. I also only wash my face only when I shower, rather than twice a day like I used to. My skin, including my face, is in the best shape it's ever been in, even with using less moisturizer than ever.)

For teeth:
-I generally just wet my toothbrush and brush with water only. A few times a week I dip the wet toothbrush in a little baking soda and use that instead of toothpaste. But I've found that with flossing, good brushing of the teeth, and brushing my tongue, I don't have any problems with bad breath, plaque, etc.

For cleaning:
-Baking soda and white vinegar are just about all you need! When I clean my kitchen and bathroom surfaces, I just sprinkle baking soda on the counters, toilet, etc., scrub it around with a damp cloth, then rinse it off using the same cloth. Vinegar is good for deodorizing, e.g. pour a little in the toilet after scrubbing the bowl with baking soda. A solution of water and white vinegar in a spray bottle works great instead of Windex on mirrors, glass tabletops, etc.
-For my vinyl kitchen and bathroom floors, I mop with a little bit of castile soap diluted with water, although a vinegar-water solution would probably work as well.
-If you buy microfiber cleaning cloths, for whatever reason you can get away with using much less cleaning product. Some people claim that by using this type of cloth, they can clean using only water. I like using a little baking soda and vinegar so that I feel like I'm disinfecting a bit as well, but I don't need to use much. The microfiber cloths are also great dry for dusting because they pick up the dust rather than just stirring it up. You just throw them in the washer and they can be infinitely reused.
-For laundry and dish soap, I currently use the "natural" brands like Seventh Generation that have no added fragrances, etc. But once I run out of my current supply, I'm going to try a product called "Soapnuts," which are apparently just the fruit of the soapberry tree and produce a soapy compound called saponin when mixed with water. Apparently you can add them to the washing machine instead of detergent or use them to make a liquid soap to use for things like washing dishes. I'll report back on the effectiveness once I've tried them.

Well, I think that summarizes the main things that I've found effective for me. Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to pass on what I've found works through my own trial and error and to give people some ideas of how simple it can be if you think outside the box of needing to buy a bunch of single-use formulations.

If you look around on the internet, there's lots of this type of information out there to give you ideas on ways of making your own toiletries/cleaning products. To me, it makes sense to do this for several reasons. If you make your own products, you know exactly what's in them. Also, stuff like baking soda and vinegar is so much cheaper than buying even the conventional/mainstream brands of pre-made products. If you're concerned about the environment, this is also great because not only are you not using a bunch of chemicals, but you can buy most of the ingredients in cardboard boxes, glass jars, etc. rather than a ton of plastic bottles.

I also think that, as I mentioned above, there's no reason that we need to buy all of these pre-made products since, when you think about it, only a few generations ago, people made do without having them all available. For example, I've been nostalgically re-reading the "Little House on the Prairie" series, and it's amazing how resourceful they were because that was just the way things were done then.

Anyways, great thread, and I'm enjoying reading different people's solutions to this problem!
stephanie

Postby boardn10 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:31 am

I use a lot of Tom's of Maine products and Burt's Bees along with other items from trader Joes and Whole Foods, that are all natural.
boardn10

NATURALly misleading

Postby Berry » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:19 am

boardn10 wrote:I use a lot of Tom's of Maine products and Burt's Bees along with other items from trader Joes and Whole Foods, that are all natural.

here is one place you can go to read more. http://www.nclnet.org/naturalsreport.htm
Last edited by Berry on Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A New Beginning"
Berry

Next

Return to The Lounge