Low Sodium Snack Foods?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Low Sodium Snack Foods?

Postby slugmom » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:15 pm

My husband admitted yesterday he's been feeling grouchy because he's been hungry. I said he didn't need to be hungry, he could eat as much as he wants. But I don't think he's enjoying the dishes all that much. He'll eat a serving, but doesn't take extras of most things.

Because he's trying to keep his sodium very low, a lot of the snacks he'd normally turn to, like pretzels and baked chips, are no-nos.

Can you give me some ideas for non-salty snacks?

I know fruits and veggies are always an option, and I'll try to have some ready for him. But he won't be happy with just those, I know. And I think he DOES need something more filling ... something along the lines of cookies or granola bars, but healthy ones, maybe?
- Kim

slugmom

Postby happyalyssa » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:20 pm

Check the health food stores snack aisles. They usually have quite a few options for low/no sodium healthy whole grain crackers and things. Or try oven baking him a bunch of pita or tortilla chips in advance and serve with a homemade salsa or bean dip?
happyalyssa

Postby hope101 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:37 pm

I sympathize. I had a low sodium diet for years growing up. I promise you he will adapt. However, there are a few flavorings if you haven't tried that can make a big difference. Does he like pickly things, because vinegar on popcorn, for instance, is amazing. Try different chutneys for rices. Experiment with recipes with lots of herbs, because they provide flavor without sodium. If you have the time to tell us what he did previously enjoy, we might be able to help you modify if to incorporate more flavour without the sodium.

Here is a recipe I make all the time. My kids and husband will easily eat an entire cookie sheet in 2 days and it can be completely dressed up for company. You can mix in different seeds, raisins, chocolate chips, dried cranberries, different flavorings. You can melt chocolate chips to spread over the top when it is cool and company will just devour it. This week I made it with dried cherries and almond extract. It was amazing. If I had company coming I might have melted some white chocolate chips for the top. Oh, and save any leftover crumbs in your freezer as a topping for crisps. Just leave out the salt for your family. Hope you enjoy it as much as we have. This particular variation made with applesauce is completely fat free.

Easy Pleasin’ Oat Bars (adapted from Dreena Burton’s Vive le Vegan)

3 1/2 cups quick oats
1 cup ground oats--make by whizzing quick oats in the food processor
1/2 tsp. sea salt
Cinnamon (I use 1 Tbsp. with good results, or use less and add pinch of nutmeg)
½ c. sesame seeds--feel free to omit, but does add extra
6 Tbsp. maple syrup
½ c. honey or Roger’s golden syrup, corn syrup, etc.
6 Tbsp. vanilla or plain non-dairy milk
2 Tbsp. canola oil--to McDougall just replace with applesauce

Icing sugar
Water

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In large bowl combine all ingredients through until canola oil.
2. Place mixture on Pam-sprayed cookie sheet and spread evenly. Press with sheet of parchment paper until mixture quite firmly packed. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden. Cover with clean tea towel as it cools.
3. Mix approx 1 ½ cups icing sugar with just enough water to make firm glaze. Microwave for few seconds until more runny and drizzle over bars. Cut with paring knife when cooled.
hope101

Postby KareninTN » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:43 pm

unsalted pretzels, unsalted crackers, Guiltless Gourmet fatfree unsalted corn chips (these are really good). This week I made homemade salsa in my food processer using no-salt-added canned tomatos as the base, which went great with those chips. And of course, popcorn, as others mentioned. Homemade hummus made without salt is another dip-type idea. For jazzing up potatos and other vegetables, etc, Lang's Naturals sauces www.mrspice.com - a collection of fatfree (except for Thai peanut), saltfree, really yummy sauces; I use them daily.

karenturtle
McDougalling since summer, 2005. Maintaining my 100 pound weight loss since summer, 2007. My Star McDougaller stories: video written
KareninTN

Postby Sher » Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:00 pm

KareninTN wrote: Lang's Naturals sauces www.mrspice.com - a collection of fatfree (except for Thai peanut), saltfree, really yummy sauces; I use them daily.

Karen, do you order these, or are they available locally?

Sher
Sher

Sher -

Postby KareninTN » Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:47 pm

I order the Mr Spice sauces online; I have never seen them in any store I've been in. They are really excellent; so many low-sodium products don't taste like much, but these are great and you don't even notice lack of salt at all.

karenturtle
McDougalling since summer, 2005. Maintaining my 100 pound weight loss since summer, 2007. My Star McDougaller stories: video written
KareninTN

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning