Lemon oil?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Lemon oil?

Postby DWerth » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:42 pm

Noticed in 'Ingrediants' for Lemon juice to use in my drinking water and sometimes for salad dressing is lemon oil(always listed last).

There is a 'no oil' statement on a vegan diet.
I had never heard of 'lemon oil' before...

Go, or no go?
Last edited by DWerth on Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
We are all unique -just like everyone else.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wzBbihh/]
[/url]
DWerth

Postby ivy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:19 pm

I want to know the answer to this one too. Are they adding additional oil from the lemon rind to enhance flavor? Is it a significant amount or minuscule?
ivy

Lemon "oil"

Postby vgpedlr » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:25 pm

Couple of possibilities here:
1) Natural oils in the rind and pith concentrated for flavor.
2) Such essences added to another oil to concentrate and "stick" the flavor.

End Result:
Read the nutrition information label, especially "Calories from Fat"
If it doesn't show up as a significant source of calories I personally would not be concerned.
vgpedlr

Postby ivy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:58 pm

the fat calories are zero....because the calories are listed as zero. That's because the serving size is only one teaspoon and anything less than one can be listed as zero. But what if you use more than a teaspoon.....what if you are someone who uses lots of bottled lemon juice. I'm not above using a drop of sesame oil once in a while....but I'd still like to know how much is in the lemon juice.
ivy

serving size conundrum

Postby vgpedlr » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:30 pm

hmmmm... if I remember correctly from Jeff's presentation, less that 0.5 g fat per "serving" can be rounded down to zero. So you can assume no more than 0.5 g fat per teaspoon. Depending on how much you use/consume, the final answer is up to you. Personally, I use sesame oil in Asian dishes as well, but it is important to be aware, as I have occasionally overdone it without noticing.
vgpedlr

Re: serving size conundrum

Postby ivy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:42 pm

vgpedlr wrote:hmmmm... if I remember correctly from Jeff's presentation, less that 0.5 g fat per "serving" can be rounded down to zero.

Thanks for the correction....you are right.
ivy

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:20 pm

Lemon oil (or orange oil or other citrus oils) and pretty intense in flavor. You wouldn't use more than a teaspoon in a whole recipe of anything. All they are is the oil taken from the peel of the fruit, and you can get the same thing by grating the rind of the fruit. Yeah, they are oil, an so they're pure fat, but they're kind of in the same class as sessame oil when used as a flavoring in some of Mary's recipes. Matter of taste whether you want to grate the rind or just use a little lemon oil.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby DWerth » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:08 pm

I thought I had read in DrMcDougall.com someplace that it was an accepted practice to add lemon juice to your drinking water, which I do rarely as I usually just drink water from the tap cooled in the fridge with ice, but need something else for variety.

What do you all drink these days?
Last edited by DWerth on Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
We are all unique -just like everyone else.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wzBbihh/]
[/url]
DWerth

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:02 am

DWerth wrote:What do you all drink these days?

My favorite drink is just plain water. I don't like sweetened or carbonated drinks. But, I do enjoy Metomint, especially the chocolate mint flavor. It's unsweetened and it has a cool sort of feel to it even at room temprature. http://www.metromint.com/. I don't work for the company, and have no financial interest in the product.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby Clary » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:09 am

I use "Minute Maid" brand, 100% Lemon Juice, from concentrate found in the frozen foods section of Wal-Mart with the orange juice concentrates, etc. --only sold frozen.

One container equals the juice of 7 lemons. The front of the box claims "no preservatives or additives". Ingredients: Contains Pure Filtered Water, concentrated Lemon Juice

Also on the back of the box: This product is guaranteed to be 100% pure. No preservatives or additives.

The only thing I wonder about (once in awhile ;-) ) is if a "concentrate" is one of those terms which might be a "formula" which can contain other ingredients that do not have to be listed.

The item is treated like a fresh food in that no label listings are required on the label for calories, fat, etc..
"LIFE always begins again." --Edmond Bordeaux Székely
Clary

Postby ivy » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:01 am

Clary wrote:I use "Minute Maid" brand, 100% Lemon Juice, from concentrate found in the frozen foods section of Wal-Mart with the orange juice concentrates, etc. --only sold frozen.

Thanks for the tip Clary! I'll have to check this out. I often use fresh lemons but like to have a back up in case I don't have any.

I stick to water, pretty much too.
ivy

Return to The Lounge