Psoriatic Arthritis Journal - 2.5 year Update Page 63

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Psoriatic Arthritis Journal - 2.5 year Update Page 63

Postby lmggallagher » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:24 pm

Hey Nicole:

Love that you are thinking of licensing your art. My Mom had some of her art work made into cards and that was a pretty good money maker for her. Her painting showed in a local gallery - but how many times does a person go through a gallery and purchase. Art is expensive and thre are only so many walls in out lives ;) but cards were in the right price range and made both the sender and recipients happy -I hope!

As for procrastination - I happened to read this right when I was putting off a big chore. OK I got to do it - but the vacuuming is for another day! :lol: :lol: :lol:
lmggallagher

Postby nicoles » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:06 pm

Michelle, thanks for sharing that your mother had some good success with licensing! Too true about the cost of art and the limited wall space. From what I have researched, it can be very lucrative but it is not a guarantee, and it does take time, maybe 3 years, before you really see any profit. but that is fine, I have the long view in mind. Just getting a few baskets of eggs together.... :D

xoxo

Nicole
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby nicoles » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:54 pm

Sleep Experiment Update

For several weeks now I have been committed to getting to bed by 9:30 at the latest, and waking up relatively early, which happens naturally when I get to bed early. Since I fall asleep within minutes of getting into bed, I have been getting a good amount of sleep and feeling good.

Last night I decided to test out what it would be like to stay up just a bit later. We had been invited out to an event which started at 8 p.m., very close to our place. We got there right on time and stayed until about 9:55, got home at 10:15, and then it took me about 45 minutes to wind down enough to sleep.

It was really interesting. I could feel how my body had produced adrenaline or cortisol or whatever it needed to keep me awake and interacting in the very loud place with all new-to-me people except for two. I could not sleep the way I normally do, and when I woke up this morning I felt HUNGOVER!

The event itself was sort of hilariously socially stressful - our couple friends had mass text-invited us to go to a bowling alley with them and others. Turns out, we had been "accidentally" invited to a birthday party for a guy we did not know, and everyone else there was part of a group of friends our friends knew, but we did not know. Add to that that I don't drink beer or soda, won't eat pizza, fried crap or cake, and that I didn't bowl because I did not want to risk hurting my right shoulder, and there was not much for me to do.

I was bored, but I figured it was pretty rude to look bored, so I'd try to strike up conversations with the people I had just met.

I am an extrovert, which means I have no problem talking to new people, but that does not mean I am immune to having my feelings hurt. In fact, since I LOOOVE to connect with people SOO MUCH, if they are not warmly welcoming of my friendly overtures, I can feel a little bad. And everyone there was pretty shy, alas. And a bit cliquish, although I guess that might happen naturally to a group of shy friends with no ill intentions on anyone's part.

I know, I know, introverts out there, it is hard on you, too when I am so pushy! I get it! Both my parents are extreme introverts, as is my husband, and they have all let me know IN ABUNDANCE how overwhelming I can be to them. (Early memory example- I was at my cousin's house at about the age of two, and she is my same age. I was chatting away nonsense at her non-stop, and then she up and punched me in the face! I was hurt, had a black eye, but my Mom said "You deserved it, you talk too much!" Obviously not very nice of her, but she has told me over and over how overwhelming I was to her, so I guess it was a vent for that.)

BUT I was there and I also wanted to have a good time. So I did my best to respect boundaries while maintaining a running conversation, which was kind of hilarious as everyone kept having to run to bowl once a slow conversation was getting started! :eek:

All in all, it was a lot of work! People warmed up decently enough but it never got past small talk which is also exhausting in a way. I am sure it would have been even less awkward if I participated in more of the things everyone was doing, like bowling, drinking and cake eating, but whatchya gonna do? Health comes first :lol:

Anyway, this concludes my experiment. I. Need. My. Sleep. No. Exceptions. Unless rare or emergency situations come up, this is a non-negotiable thing.

My Journal
nicoles

Postby Lesliec1 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:14 pm

That was super interesting to hear the perspective from an extrovert. I can speak for introverts! Try not to feel unwelcome when shy people dont SEEM to react. We are just weird on the outside. My DH and I are both introverts and we NEVER mind it when people take over the conversation. We love it! In my case, the only thing I don't like is when someone talks too much ABOUT THEMSELVES and my husband doesn't even mind that. But that would never be you. I've always liked "big personality" people. I find them completely captivating, maybe just because they are so different. It's like watching a performance.

Yeah about the sleep thing: I need to think about that too. this past week i was dog sitting and this dog would wake me up early so I started to go to bed early. It was good! I'm currently conditioned to go to bed at 11:15 because i have to watch the first 15 mins of Jon Stewart. (haha, ever hear of a dvr, doofus?)
Lesliec1

Postby jamietwo » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:15 pm

Love your story, Nicole! I describe myself as an extroverted introvert or an introverted extrovert! :lol: It kind of depends on the people I'm around (or even my mood) as to how I feel/act. I HAVE found that when I've really hit if off with a new person, its because that new person is so friendly and easy to talk to with EVERYBODY, that I find it easy to talk to them too. Sounds like you are that person that is so friendly and easy to talk to! :D

I hear you on the sleep. If I don't fall asleep within my "natural window of opportunity", it will take a lot longer to fall asleep once I go to bed.
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby nicoles » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:41 pm

Hi Leslie! Thanks for the introvert's perspective! The more I hear reassurance about not to take shy-er folks' low key reactions, the better. Thank you! I usually just assume something dramatic like, "They HATE me!" which is over the top, I know. :lol: <not a drama queen by any stretch, me> :roll:

Sleep. I cannot tell you how much it is helping me. My DH and I were walking yesterday on the beach, and he was like, "Slow down! I can't keep up!" And then we were both like, "What?!?!?" I am just getting better and better and it is pretty amazing. I am averaging 9 hours a night of sleep and it is really helping.

It is hard though. I mean, sleeping enough goes against a lot of cultural habits.

Jamie! Introverted extrovert! Love it! I might be a bit like that. I mean, I am definitely on the extrovert side of the spectrum, but not the polar end of TOTAL extrovert, you know? Like, when I am fatigued or in pain, I might not have the energy to make as much of a social effort, but I usually will...not a huge fan of being "on stage" though. I can do it just fine, just not all that charismatic.

It is interesting. I am not good at telling stories or being entertaining, I am more very, very chatty. I like interacting, getting to know people, learning about them. DH, who is currently a writer, used to act (very well, too!) but is an introvert and has a hard time with one-on-one situations and new people. However, he can tell a tale like nobody's business, given his talent for spinning a story as well as his training as a performer. But he is really edgy and uncomfortable (inside) when he does it. It is a huge amount of work for him. Mind boggling, because he can appear carefree, but feel incredibly socially anxious. We are all so somplex.

Yeah, gotta get to bed in the natural sleep window or the whole deal is jacked!

My Journal
nicoles

Postby nicoles » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:57 pm

My Journal
nicoles

Postby MSNomad » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:20 pm

nicoles wrote:How fun are these?

Those are very fun! Thanks for sharing! :lol:
I have a blog about traveling well with MS: MSNomad's blog
You can also "like" me on Facebook: MSNomad's FB page
I also keep a journal here on the Discussion Boards: MSNomad's journal
MSNomad

Postby nicoles » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:24 pm

You're Welcome, MSNomad! :D

My Journal
nicoles

Postby nicoles » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:26 pm

This is hilarious, to an art history nerd like me :lol:

Also, I want to see this

My Journal
nicoles

Postby nicoles » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:33 pm

Fun Update

Went to the dentist today, for the first time in ... ? 5-7 years? Long story as to why the long gap, but I finally went in. I was worried about my teeth and gum health, and so was the staff and dentist once they heard how long it'd been.

Bad news is I do need dental work. I have one tooth with multiple cracks, and two fillings that need replacing.

Crazy good news? My gums are fine. My teeth barely needed a cleaning, and everyone was shocked that I was doing so well without cleanings or dental visits. Other crazy news is that the cracked tooth cracked four and a half years ago, and is not infected or anything! They were amazed.

This WOE, plus good oral hygiene, wins again!

My Journal
nicoles

Postby ~Beth~ » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:34 am

Wow, great news at the dentist

Also, I am one of those who likes it when the chattier people carry the conversation at get togethers

Start date: Sept 25, 2012
~Beth~

Postby Indigo » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:33 am

I love these amazing health stories! Keep up the great work!
Indigo
Indigo

Postby nicoles » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:58 pm

Hiya Beth and Indigo! Thanks for stopping by! :D

Beth, I think you and I'd get right along :nod: ;)

JUst popping in to post this article on why Biologic medicines stop working for those with autoimmune disease, and what the community of medical is doing about it. An interesting read.

I am just glad I never had to take one, then have it fail, but I have family and friends who have and it just plain sucks. :crybaby:

Thank God for finding Dr Mcdougal!

My Journal
nicoles

Postby nicoles » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:07 am

My Journal
nicoles

PreviousNext