Tomatoless Fast Food Meal Ideas?

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Tomatoless Fast Food Meal Ideas?

Postby pippin » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:08 am

I have been enjoying Jeff's Fast Food DVD, and have made a couple of variations. They are fast and delicious.

My problem is that I find that if I eat too many tomatoes, I have a flare-up of inflammation and arthritis symptoms. I've identified canned tomatoes as a culprit after doing an elimination diet. I do eat tomatoes on occasion, but only sparingly. Fortunately for me, other nightshade plants don't seem to bother me so I can have potatoes and peppers 'till the cows come home. :-)

I've created a few "snap" meals or fast food type meals that don't include tomatoes. Usually I use my rice cooker and make rice, beans and frozen veggies with seasonings in some combination.

I'm wondering if anyone has any other ideas for snap meals that don't include tomatoes?
Just Keep Swimming!
pippin

Re: Tomatoless Fast Food Meal Ideas?

Postby JeffN » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:34 am

The SNAP meals are just a basic structure for you to create an unlimited amount of meals from. The tomatoes are optional but were used in the basic structure as they make a great base. You can leave them out, or use water, or use a vegetable broth, or a bean broth, or a thinned out bean sauce, etc.

If you check out the thread on my "basic recipes," there is a ink to my Facebook page where there are several recipes without tomatoes. In some, I have used nothing, in some water, in some broth, in some a thinned out bean/lentil soup, etc. In some, I use potatoes as the starch and dice them up and cook them in a some water before adding anything else and keep the extra potato water which I use as the base.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: Tomatoless Fast Food Meal Ideas?

Postby pippin » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:22 am

Thanks Jeff! I will check it out today. You are awesome. Thanks so much for all of your enthusiastic support.
Just Keep Swimming!
pippin

Return to Jeff Novick, RD