Corn Allergy Support Group

Share your McDougall Support Group Ideas Here.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, John McDougall

Corn Allergy Support Group

Postby Jellen » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:37 am

Was wondering if there are folks here with an allergy to corn. It is quite probable that I'm allergic to corn. I've been doing a type of elimination diet and added corn in yesterday--only to discover my face began to itch, it aggrevated a leg rash, and gave me a stuffy nose.

Gluten grains are out, and now probably corn. That leaves brown rice, sorghum, amarath, quinoa, and buckwheat, and I'm not certain about the status of them. But I'm hopeful for them.

So, chime in if you have a corn allergy, and let's share info and advice here.
Jellen

Re: Corn Allergy Support Group

Postby Jellen » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:15 am

I'm bumping this thread back up.

Anyone know much about corn allergies? I tested fine for corn on skin test, but if I eat corn chips or ground corn of any kind, my face feels itchy around my mouth and I feel like the back of my throat is itchy. Sound like a corn allergy? Don't seem to have a problem with whole cooked corn--at least that appears right away.
Jellen

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:00 am

My son is sensitive to corn, and he was heartbroken when we found out in May. No sweet corn for him this summer! Also, his favorite snack food is popcorn, so this was devastating news. He also has several other foods that he can't have, soy and almonds are big allergens, along with gluten, asparagus, lettuce, etc. Oh, and ONIONS. :duh: :crybaby:

We did find something that REALLY helped a lot, popping sorghum. It tastes just like popped corn but no husks. There is a company who makes it all bagged up, it's called Mini Pops. We also bought some from Barry Farm that is whole sorghum grain and we pop our own. There is a learning curve with popping it but he is now one happy boy. :unibrow:
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby stephanie » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:59 pm

I too am corn-free. I've never had an allergy test done, but I know from experimentation that life is just better without it. :) I find that it's a blessing in disguise in some ways because it keeps me from eating most processed foods since, as I'm sure you know, it's in almost EVERYTHING!

I wanted to reply because I wanted to pass along a piece of information that I heard somewhere (a lecture by Dr. Pam Popper, I believe). She said that some people with soy "allergies" actually have *GMO* soy problems, and when they switch to organic (and hence non-GM) soy, their problems go away. I don't have any further evidence, and I haven't experimented with it myself yet, but since non-organic corn is almost always GM, I wonder if it's a similar situation as with soy. One day, maybe I'll try eating some organic corn and see whether it bothers me.

I just thought I'd pass that information along, even though I don't really have any further information on the subject. Maybe organic corn, or whole organic corn, might be okay for you...?
Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
stephanie

Postby Jellen » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:40 pm

Now that's interesting. I had a saliva test done that showed me allergic to gluten and soy. But I didn't test corn that way. On a skin test, corn is a non-offender. I wonder? I know that GM issue is going to prove more of a problem than folks believe right not. I personally believe it's a root cause of allergies for lots of folks.
Jellen

Postby Jellen » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:09 am

I've not proven corn to be the total offender with regard to my ongoing rash. But I believe corn--with it's omega-6 contribution--may be shifting me to being more acidic and too low in omega-3's. So for the least part, no more processed corn porridge. No more added corn to soup. Corn chips? Now there's the temptation.
Jellen

Postby Rob » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:24 am

Jellen wrote:Now that's interesting. I had a saliva test done that showed me allergic to gluten and soy. But I didn't test corn that way. On a skin test, corn is a non-offender. I wonder? I know that GM issue is going to prove more of a problem than folks believe right not. I personally believe it's a root cause of allergies for lots of folks.

A agree that GM corn is an issue. I love corn. But I no longer consume any product that is made from corn unless it is USDA Certified Organic so that we can be assured (to some degree) that it does not contain genetically modified corn.

I got a rash a year ago to a corn-starch-based medicated powder that I had previously used for a decade without problems. I stopped using the powder and the rash went away. I sent a sample of the product off to their labs for testing along with a note including the batch number; however, they never informed me what they found in the product, despite my repeated requests. I retained a sample, so at some point may still pursue it.

The corn genome was only sequenced in 2009 although GM corn has been on the market for years. The scientists identified 32,000 genes (human genome has 23,000) with 2 billion base pairs of nucleotides. The scientists have the a map of the bits of information but they don't know what they all do, much less the impact that artificial changes to the genome will have on the environment or any animals or humans who may consume the GM corn. There simply have been no longer-term studies of the effects on human or animal health on these GM crops. We are being used as guinea pigs in an experiment with our food supply and health that is unprecedented in human history. Once these organisms are out in the environment, you can't recall them.
Rob

Postby Jellen » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:40 pm

Rob, you've said it. We are not being told what's going on. We're just feeding the masses in the cheapest way possible. But I'm sure someone's getting rich off it.

Maybe it's just the GMO corn that messes me up. I can eat a bag of organic chips and not have a problem. Never gave it much thought before. I'll bet it is only the GMO stuff. Meanwhile, I'm still being careful with corn since it's heavy on the Omega-6 and not too much if any Omega-3.
Jellen

Postby Jellen » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:16 am

This is my elimination week. Absolutely no corn for one week--to see if corn is the reason for the rash. I ate a bag of corn chips over Thanksgiving and the leg rash seemed to have become worse. But I also had some gluten and soy and egg and dairy--all allergens to me--so I'm not altogether sure what the root cause is.

Does anyone know if one week of avoidance is enough time to be certain about a particular food? My skin tests show corn as fine. My eating tests show corn may not be fine. But I've not eaten clean so far to be absolutely certain. Now I'm going to do it.
Jellen

Postby rickcutler01 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:15 pm

I have very recently developed a sensitivity to GROUND corn. I say sensitivity, because I don't develop a rash, itch or other typical allergy symptoms.

I get Indigestion, upset stomach, and other digestive track symptoms including diarrhea.

This is after 43 years of no symptoms. I am fine with fresh corn, popcorn, But I get the symptoms quickly after eating a corn tortilla, Masa, tortilla chips and even tortilla soup. All of which I have never had a problem before.

Any ideas about what is causing this?

- Rick, Anaheim, CA
rickcutler01

Postby Jellen » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:28 am

My guess is GMO grains. Genetically modified grains.

When I buy organics, no problem. When I buy cheaper ground corn products, my face itches when I eat it and I think my leg rash worsens. That's my guess. Give organic non-GMO corn products a try and see if there are any differences.
Jellen

Postby Burgess » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:31 am

I eat no seeds of any kind, including corn kernels in any form. That approach has almost completely eliminated my inflammation (-itis) problems.

http://anti-itisdiet.blogspot.com/2007/ ... -diet.html
Last edited by Burgess on Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Burgess Laughlin, Star McDougaller
My books: http://www.reasonversusmysticism.com
My health weblog: http://anti-itisdiet.blogspot.com
Burgess

Postby Rob » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:26 am

Here's a link to a presentation by author Jeffrey Smith on the dangers of genetically modified foods:

http://vimeo.com/6575475
Rob

Postby Drivian » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:40 pm

I’ve suffered from corn allergy for one-third of my life and it has been a frustrating journey. It has been hard to find any one site with comprehensive, up-to-date information on how to live with a corn allergy. There are some great blogs with regard to cooking without corn products; however, if your cooking skills are fairly basic, as mine are, just getting a variety of things to eat can be difficult.
Last edited by Drivian on Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Drivian

Postby Rob » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:56 am

Drivian wrote:I’ve suffered from corn allergy for one-third of my life and it has been a frustrating journey. It has been hard to find any one site with comprehensive, up-to-date information on how to live with a corn allergy. There are some great blogs with regard to cooking without corn products; however, if your cooking skills are fairly basic, as mine are, just getting a variety of things to eat can be difficult.

In what year did you first experience your allergic reaction to corn?
Rob

Return to Support Groups