Favorite meals?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Favorite meals?

Postby happyalyssa » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:59 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm starting the MWL program on April first and I'm curious what everone's favorite meals are. I'm trying to get more ideas for meals since hubby and my tastes in foods are rather different; so always on the lookout for good comprimises :D Whether its a McDougall recipe or your own creation, or just a certain combo of food you found to be really tasty, I'd appreciate your suggestions and comments!

Thanks,
Alyssa
Start date: January 1, 2007
23 lbs lost...32 to go!
happyalyssa

Beans and Rice!

Postby heffies » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:16 pm

Hi Alyssa! I think it's great you're going on MWL. I'm really glad I did, it's helping a lot. There have been some rough patches, but overall it really isn't bad. It's getting better with time and better because I'm discovering new favorite foods. Here are some of the things I love to eat:

Fat free black refried beans with brown rice, shredded lettuce, and diced tomatoes all mixed together. Or, I omit the rice and have it with baked corn tortilla chips. This also works well with chili beans. This mixture is also wonderful rolled up in corn tortillas and baked in the oven.

Potato wedges baked with Montreal steak seasoning--this is a spice in a jar that contains pepper, salt, a bit of sugar, and onion powder. I then dip them in ketchup--yum! I'm currently stuck on these.

Ore Ida hash brown squares with ketchup. I eat this for breakfast nearly everyday!

Hummus made with chick peas, roasted red pepper, garlic, and lemon juice. I find that I don't miss the olive oil or tahini at all. Serve with all sorts of raw veggies or baked corn tortilla chips.

Baked gold potatoes. I think these are my favorite kind of potatoes--they're the only ones that don't make me miss butter!

Cabbage, potatoes, baby carrots, and sweet onions baked together in a roasting pan with a can of vegetable broth is also wonderful. I dump all of this together with salt and pepper and cover with tin foil. It takes about 40 minutes to cook, at 375.

I hope this is helpful!

Best of luck!

Heather

217/188/145
heffies

Postby atrapos » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:33 pm

I am getting hungry just reading your post.
sounds so delicious :)
If it comes from the ground, eat it. If it doesn't, don't.
You may not eat anything with a mother or a face

atrapos

Postby hope101 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:35 am

Breakfast brown rice (I posted the other day)

Basmati rice with an easy curry (I can post recipe if you wish)

Lemon lentil soup (Mediterranean flavour rather than traditional)

Homemade hashbrowns with cajun seasoning, dipped in chili sauce and white vinegar--my current favourite

Like Heffies, any roast vegetable!
hope101

favorite meals

Postby seestorcoo » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:07 pm

I love the combo of sweet potatoes or yams with black beans piled on top and a fruity salsa (mango pineapple, or peach) on top of that with fresh steamed broccoli on the side with just a touch of sesame ginger fat free dressing drizzled over the broccoli - yummmmmm.

I also love baked potato with bbq sauce, corn, and a third vegie of any kind.

real foods corn thins with salsa makes a great snack (learned that here)

Good luck!
If you are going to doubt something, doubt your limits.
seestorcoo

Postby happyalyssa » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:33 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions! These all sound wonderful.

Hope, can you post your homemade hash browns recipe? I can not find any frozen hash browns without oil in the stores here, and when I try to make them myself, they always turn out kinda mushy and weird...
Start date: January 1, 2007
23 lbs lost...32 to go!
happyalyssa

Postby hope101 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:29 pm

Alyssa, these are not the shoestring kind, so hope this is what you are looking for, but here goes:

I take 4-5 potatoes (Yukon gold, sweet, or red, or mixture) and scrub. I dice my potatoes, skin on, so they are in 3/4-1 inch cubes. I do lightly mist a large cookie sheet or cake pan with Pam because I don't have a nonstick large pan. I often put a little soy sauce in the pan with my potatoes, along with some oregano and pepper. The soy sauce makes the potatoes a little browner than they would be without it as these are really low fat, and somehow adds a little depth of flavour more than salt. Hope you have success. Oh, and I roast them for about 1 to 1-1/2 hours at 350, turning them over halfway through.

I too love them with Montreal Steak Spice (especially the sweet potato) and soy sauce. Or Cajun spice.

These are so good that I often make a double batch and keep them in the fridge for quick meals. My kids actually scream with joy when they know this is an option for lunch as somehow they think this is the height of decadence.

Is that what you were looking for, or did you mean a different kind of potato?
hope101

Re: favorite meals

Postby Grateful » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:44 pm

I love the combo of sweet potatoes or yams with black beans piled on top and a fruity salsa (mango pineapple, or peach) on top of that with fresh steamed broccoli on the side with just a touch of sesame ginger fat free dressing drizzled over the broccoli - yummmmmm.

My mouth's watering. I'll have to try it for lunch tomorrow! Thanks for posting it.
Grateful

Favorites

Postby Steve » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:28 pm

I just made a guadruple batch of International Stew from the Quick and easy book and a large batch of brown rice boil in bags. I combine one bag of rice and top off with the stew in a four cup glad container for lunch.
I also enjoy Vegetable Chilli from the MWL book, also over rice and the Fried rice recipe from MWL. Also a tossed salad.
Steve

Yummy food

Postby figpiglet » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:31 pm

I like beans, rice, and salsa rolled in lettuce leaves. It has this luscious texture, much better than it sounds. I also like corn, peas, and potatoes with seasoned salt.
figpiglet

potatoes!

Postby MadcityVegan » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:46 pm

HI,

I started MWL Feb 19, as of Today March 26th I have lost 13lbs.

My Favorite foods:
Baked potatoes with BBQ, Cooked green beans
Carrots
Baked potatoes with FF refried beans, salsa from my favorite mexican restautrant. with sauteed scallions and button mushrooms.
Brown Rice Cakes
Puffed Corn Cereal
Sliced potatoes baked on a 'silpat'>non stick pan liner with paprika, garlic, parsely & salt dipped in ketchup with steamed brocillee.

I would reccomend buying a silpat, so helpful...also a rice cooker. Makes my life alot easier. Also having my fiancee doing this with me is a life saver.
MadcityVegan

Postby Faith in DC » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:26 pm

Some stores carry pre-shredded fresh hashbrowns. Most in my area put it by eggs. Those don't have oil.

I love a big tater, with cauliflower/broccoli/carrots and a ton of marinara sauce over it.

Also in the book, MWL there is a recipe for Mixed mushrooms w/ wild rice that is really good. One of my favorites.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

easy curry recipe?

Postby annhett » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:43 pm

hope101 wrote:
Basmati rice with an easy curry (I can post recipe if you wish)

I would like to see the easy curry recipe.

Thanks,
ann
annhett

Postby hope101 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:36 pm

Ann, here you go. Be sure to serve with a nice sweet chutney.

1 small onion
1 small sweet potato, cubed
2 small potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 large carrot, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup veggie stock
1 can chick peas, rinsed and drained
1 tsp. turmeric
1 Tbsp. curry
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. raisins
1/4 tsp. cayenne
1 c. spinach (or swiss chard), chopped roughly

Saute the onions, sweet potatoes, potatoes, carrots, garlic until the onion is translucent. Add the stock and rest of the spices and chick peas. Stir well, reduce heat and cover with lid. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until veggies are tender. Stir in the spinach, remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes before serving. This is good with a chutney on the side and I love it over basmati rice. Also, feel free to completely change the veggies. I don't always have sweet potatoes, I toss in zucchini if I have it or red peppers. You can increase the cayenne if you like it spicier. This is adapted from a Sarah Kramer recipe.
hope101

that sounds really yummy!

Postby Poppy » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:36 am

I like the sound of the curry and the sweet chutney... do you have a recipe for the chutney? I really love the food, I'm soooo glad to be back to eating vegan after being 'away' for a while :D
Poppy

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program