Digestion IBS

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Digestion IBS

Postby goldilocks » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:34 pm

I know that feeling of stuffing myself with food, lol.

If the oats you tried were not certified gluten free, then you probably consumed a small amount of gluten with them since most of them are contaminated with wheat unless certified gluten free. Since wheat is a problem for you, I suggest you try gluten free oats if you want to experiment again. I don't notice a reaction to regular oats, but I eat the gluten free ones just to be on the safe side.

At least there are several starches that you are okay with - millet, buckwheat and quinoa sound like you can do pretty well with those. I also like teff. What about corn? I want to try winter squash soon since sweet potatoes didn't work for me either (sadness).

Good luck!
goldilocks

Postby Lola » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:29 am

I don't think it's the gluten... My buckwheat and millet have a warning: It may contain gluten, so I am cosuming it with every meal. These days I am not stuffing myself anymore. I tried apples and wheat again and I am now sure for both they aren't OK. Today I ate one potato mashed with butternut and spinach for lunch. I am OK for now...
I think I maybe have fructose malabsorption, because I also have problems with pears, nectarines and some other fruit... Those with FM also have problems with wheat and brown rice... And some with white potatoes too.
I eat cornmeal often. :)
Lola

Postby working at it » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:37 am

Goldilocks - Have yet to try teff; how does one prepare it?

Lola - I also react to many fruits, including pears. About 30 years ago I was skin tested for allergies. Many of the tests were for foods. Then, I reacted to apple, grapefruit, peach, pear, pineapple, and strawberry.
Interesting that there was no advice about what to do with the findings. I received shots for several pollens, but was not advised to avoid the foods. I was blood-tested for food allergies recently, but that test showed no problems whatsoever. Now as I test foods using the elimination diet, am finding so far that anything I reacted to with a skin test, I am reacting to with the elimination diet. But am also finding some foods that there was no skin reaction to, that the elimination diet shows to also be problems.

I get lots more info from the elimination diet. For example, when I tested tomatoes, on Day 2 intense and frequent sneezing and nose blowing started; and I had dark rings under my eyes. And gurgling abdominal sounds. So I stopped the test, and am pretty clear that it's not safe for me to eat tomatoes. The skin test 30 years ago showed a level 2 reaction, on a scale of 0 to 4. Didn't look so bad, described that way!
working at it

Postby veganjen » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:49 pm

Hi Lola...I've had digestive issues since I can remember. I took medications for years for IBS and nothing helped. In January of this year I eliminated meat, dairy, all fat and oil, sugar, all caffeine, corn, and wheat. I don't smoke or use alcohol.

My simple diet consists of baked potatoes, boiled sweet potatoes, brown rice, homemade lentil soup, steamed vegetables and now I can handle about a half cup of raw vegetables daily. My evening dessert is one raw apple. In the summertime I like green smoothies made in my Vita-Mix, they're refreshing on a hot day and it's a good way for me to get green vegetables without feeling sick. I drink water between meals and tepid peppermint tea with meals.

I have had no IBS symptoms, my arthritis is mostly gone, and no reflux at all. I have found that I can even make a potato salad dressing with vinegar and mustard and it doesn't bother me. I think the biggest culprit for me was wheat and sugar. I don't overeat anymore and that helps a lot as well. This took me about a month to get in touch with my eating. I think that's a first for me.
Jen :)

Pictures:
http://s1061.photobucket.com/albums/t477/jengrif/
My website:
http://www.jengriffen.com/default.html

Action is the foundational key to all success.
Pablo Picasso
veganjen

Postby vegandrea » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:48 am

veganjen wrote:Hi Lola...I've had digestive issues since I can remember. I took medications for years for IBS and nothing helped. In January of this year I eliminated meat, dairy, all fat and oil, sugar, all caffeine, corn, and wheat. I don't smoke or use alcohol.

My simple diet consists of baked potatoes, boiled sweet potatoes, brown rice, homemade lentil soup, steamed vegetables and now I can handle about a half cup of raw vegetables daily. My evening dessert is one raw apple. In the summertime I like green smoothies made in my Vita-Mix, they're refreshing on a hot day and it's a good way for me to get green vegetables without feeling sick. I drink water between meals and tepid peppermint tea with meals.

Hi Jen,

I was wondering what you put in your green smoothies. I love smoothies but thought they weren't allowed on this program. I also have IBS and when it flares up I can't eat many raw veggies, so I use smoothies to get them in my diet, but I also put fruit in my smoothies and sometimes flax or hemp seeds (1 tablespoon, but I share my smoothie with my husband.)

Thanks.

Andrea
vegandrea

Postby Lola » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:23 am

Thanks for all your responses.
I feel better if I eat fruit only in the morning. And now I am finally stop stuffing myself(self-discipline!) I will see if apples are really the problem. I always peel them and I try to eat only sweet ripe apples. I am sure about wheat and potatoes, because after eating them I feel a little anxious.
I also increased amount of vegetables and tried eating brown rice again.
Now I am almost sure overeating was really the problem and I can eat brown rice.

I am eating only steamed vegetables for now, but I hope I will be able to eat them raw in spring/summer, because they are really refreshing.
And I really have to try green smoothies. :)
Lola

Postby working at it » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:41 am

Lola,
So interesting to hear you wonder if you are overeating, or if the food disagrees with you. I do that too! Sometimes I watch myself take extra helpings, and then I feel bloated. And then I wonder if the problem is eating too much, or a reaction to the food. Am suspecting that this is about the specific food -- and not overeating.
working at it

Previous

Return to Health Issues