High cholesterol by heredity

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

High cholesterol by heredity

Postby Beckyleib » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:35 pm

I have two people in my life who think they have high cholesterol because of their heredity. One eats the standard American diet. But the other is about 90% vegan. So are they victims of their genes?
Beckyleib

Re: High cholesterol by heredity

Postby Steve » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:01 pm

Becky,

I guess to some extent all of us benefit or are a victim of our heredity.

I wonder what their high cholesterol figures are. Also, what is meant by 90% vegan? Sounds like not vegan at all to me. And by the way a lot of vegans use a bunch of oil that is not too healthy.

In my case about 17 years ago I was on the SAD diet, including a liberal amount of fast food from burger joints. My total cholesterol was 277 and I had something called a fatty liver.

I read Dr. McDougall's 12 days to Dynamic Health and adopted the program. In three months I was at 177 and at 6 months my cholesterol was under 150. The only time it went above 150 was one test about 8 years ago when I compromised the diet so much that I was eating bits of meat and "fat free" cheese. I went back to basics and under 150 again. Was I a victim of my genes? Yeah, I was. But then again I responded so well to the program that I am not too worried about the possibility of a cardiovascular event. Of course both my parents had heart attacks. My Dad's Dad and Grandfather both died of heart attacks in their 40's. So my genetics are bad. However, in my case I do not need cholesterol medicine or even asprin. If I did not benefit from the McDougall program for all of these years I am sure I would have had an event or two, maybe even fatal. Thanks Dr. McDougall.

Having said all of this, there are some folks who are genetically disposed to high cholesterol. But even these folks would benefit from the McDougall program.

So for instance if your friends or relatives have a really high cholesterol, I mean a lot higher than my old 277, maybe they have the gene deal worse than me. But I bet they would improve if they made the change.

Steve
Steve

Postby pinkrose » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:21 pm

Beckyleib wrote:I have two people in my life who think they have high cholesterol because of their heredity. One eats the standard American diet. But the other is about 90% vegan. So are they victims of their genes?

If one does not faithfully follow Dr. McDougall's guidance (or something very close it) for a few months...how would she/he know the elevated cholesterol was genetic?

I do not think one should feel cursed by a genetic disorder because one chooses to eat a diet that is far from ideal and is then diagnosed with high serum lipids.

See

http://www.heartattackproof.com/Esselst ... rticle.pdf
pinkrose

Postby f1jim » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:45 pm

Everyone in my family is on cholesterol lowering statins. High cholesterol might ought to be all our middle names! I had cholesterol of 339 when angina came rolling into my life. I guess I could have chalked it up to bad genes since it was so common with us. A strict Esselstyn/McDougall diet had my TC at 119 in eleven weeks. 108 in 27 weeks. So was I cursed with bad genes? Yes, if I followed the typical Western diet. I chose not to so I believe strongly it's for the vast majority of people, a choice. Same with the angina, same with PAD, same with most all of it. We have the choice and control of our health and with every passing day I believe it even more. Even doctors are starting to believe it. We just need a few more cures to really get them convinced. The question is are you helping?
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:33 pm

There is a genetic factor in how we process things in our bodies but I love this expression
Genetics loads the gun, but diet pulls the trigger

Don't remember were I got it but there it is.

And as mentioned above, potato chips and CocaCola are 100% vegan!
GeoffreyLevens

Postby Theodore » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:42 pm

GeoffreyLevens wrote:There is a genetic factor in how we process things in our bodies but I love this expression
Genetics loads the gun, but diet pulls the trigger

Don't remember were I got it but there it is.

Geoffrey Levens

I believe that quote is from Dr Esselstyn.

Theodore
Never eat anything that has an ass.
Theodore

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:19 pm

I like it a lot, very succinct and covers the whole story about importance of diet.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby Theodore » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:34 pm

Couldn't agree more.
Never eat anything that has an ass.
Theodore

Postby dollmaker » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:12 pm

I have been reading through too much material and now I can't find for the life of me where Dr. J says that cholesterol is really not heredity... but diet..

can anyone help?
Robin Armstrong Seeber[color=#0040BF]www.outsidetheboxprimitives.com[b]
[email protected][/color]
dollmaker

Postby peasouper » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:28 am

I have just read the China Study by T Colin Campbell and the quote "Genetics loads the gun, but diet pulls the trigger" is in there.
peasouper

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:00 pm

peasouper wrote:I have just read the China Study by T Colin Campbell and the quote "Genetics loads the gun, but diet pulls the trigger" is in there.
So was it Dr C originating it, or was he quoting Dr E?
GeoffreyLevens

Postby Gweithgar » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:09 pm

There is a genetic form of high cholesterol (like really, really high) but that's fairly rare. I think a lot of people say "it's in my genes" as a way of justifying taking no action. "What can I do? I'm doomed anyway so I might as well have another bacon double cheeseburger!" They really do not want to make any "drastic" changes to how they live and eat, and this excuse is their free pass.
Cet animal est tres mechant; quand on l'attaque, il se defend
(This animal is very wicked; if attacked it defends itself)
Gweithgar

Postby dp135 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:47 pm

Gweithgar wrote:There is a genetic form of high cholesterol (like really, really high) but that's fairly rare. I think a lot of people say "it's in my genes" as a way of justifying taking no action. "What can I do? I'm doomed anyway so I might as well have another bacon double cheeseburger!" They really do not want to make any "drastic" changes to how they live and eat, and this excuse is their free pass.

It's really hard to go through so many changes and not seeing it go way down though when you are really working hard at it all.
I am very frustrated. Actually today I am really sad for the first time in over a year. I started this journey in Nov 2009 and did well food wise and weight loss wise but my lipid profile remains a problem. I do not take any medications and having been running away from suggestions to start statins all year.

I've lost 42 lbs+ and frankly do not feel I have a great deal more to lose.

My numbers have gone like so from Nov 2009 to Dec 2010

TC 274-->218
HDL 68--->69
LDL 169--->124
TG 183-->127
Weight 172-128

I started adding back more starches/grains, including wheat a few months ago and started feeling subpar just recently. Tired, achy etc. Considered Celiac, panel is negative thank goodness. All other labs are fine ( thyroid, B12 ). I am happy about that but doctor also ran repeat lipids seeing as I was having blood anyway. I expected them to be better or the same but not almost back to square one.

TC 259
LDL 153

TG 119
HDL 82

I have a terrible family cardiac history. I have not eaten any meat/dairy/eggs etc for over a year and recently started cutting down on oils even more than before. I've been Fuhrman/McDougall/Esselstyn eating.

Is there anyone else here who is dealing with similar issues?

I have slacked off with exercise and I suppose that's a part of it but I am starting to wonder if I can keep ignoring the TC/LDL. I am also not sure I can exercise enough realistically to ever get below 200 TC.
I see people with TCs of like 150 after much less time than me on a plant based diet and it makes me feel hopeless about this issue.

I had such high hopes for correcting the bloodwork. I know it's only one factor but it was my central issue.
dp135

Postby afreespirit » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:05 pm

I hear your frustration, dp135. I am not an expert on cholesterol, but this phrase in your story stands out:
recently started cutting down on oils even more than before
I think it is safe to say you need to cut out ALL free oils. Can you list some typical days' eating? and maybe someone else with more expertise in this topic will be along to advise you. Don't give up yet! If no reply I would start a new thread asking for help. Good luck--
afreespirit

Postby f1jim » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:35 pm

I would agree with afreespirit. Her quote of your comment hit me the same way. Some people can get away with the added oils, others can't. I can't. You may be one of us. I'd give that a try for 30 days and see what the effect is.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Next

Return to Health Issues