Blood work: Thyroid and Liver

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Blood work: Thyroid and Liver

Postby dcrouse05 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:12 am

Hello,

I have been vegan since 2014. Since Aug 2020 I have on Mary's Mini, mostly brussels sprouts for breakfast, potatoes and broccoli for lunch and dinner. Sometimes a little squash. I really like eating this way and have dropped about 22 lbs that I picked up in the beginning of the covid pandemic. I was also walking a lot when the weather was warmer.
I recently had my blood work done and just got the results back. The Dr sent me a message saying there were a few abnormalities, liver function elevated, and thyroid is low. I have usually had good results. She ordered a sonogram of liver and I go see her Monday. I am a little concerned that she will want me to take medication. I don't want to take medication I would rather fix with food. Has anyone had anything like this happen? I was sure my blood work was going to be amazing. My TSH is 6.130, T4F .91, and T3 total is 80. All else looks good cholesterol 164, A1c 5.3, B12 1,014, Vit D 66.2
Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
Thank you
Health and Happiness
Denise
dcrouse05

Re: Blood work: Thyroid and Liver

Postby pundit999 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:57 am

Since you don't have any symptoms, you may want to wait and see what happens.
May be get another test a few months later and decide if you need it.

These days for some reason it is common for people to get a low functionating thyroid (hypothyroidism).
The good thing is that the medication is a hormone which does not result in any side effects. But you will have to get tested every 6 months. (Unfortunately, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 20 years back and I have been on Synthroid of various doses all these years)

Liver numbers that you mentioned may be more concerning. But you have not provided any details.
May be follow Dr McDougall's advice and stop going to doctors unless you have to :-). They find something or the other and then you have to worry.
pundit999

Return to Health Issues