Terry's Progress

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby TerryP » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:44 pm

It's Tuesday Check-In Day!

Lost 1 lb this week.
Total Weight Loss so far, 12.5 lbs.

Original Weight 277.5 12/30/08. Thought I’d start before the New Year. :-)
Today’s Weight 265

Ok, so I had a wonderful Valentines dinner at the http://www.millenniumrestaurant.com/ this week. And it was worth every bite. It's also 100% vegan but not 100% fat free. I only get to go twice a year. Our anniversary and Valentines. Hmmm maybe I can talk my hubby into adding my birthday as well. :-D Plus two days this week I had to have two small whole wheat Belgian Waffles.
First the Millennium was amazing and delicious. Although my husband believed they served less food this year (and he would know, :-D but kept the prices the same, which is a shame, but we do understand. It was the first time we noticed some empty tables as well. It would be a shame if something should happen to the place. It’s my favorite nice place to eat. For those of you whom don’t know this. Eric Tucker is the chef there and he is also a guest chef during Dr McDougall’s Celebrity weekends on occasions. He’s amazingly talented and the food is to die for. His cookbooks are wonderful. But you do need to allow time to make many of the recipes. But it’s great for special occasions. I have made many of the recipes from his books and get many comments, they are very good.
As for the waffles. Watch out, lookout, get out of my way! HA :-D I had to have those or I would go nuts. No not homemade unfortunately. Store bought but good and enough to satisfy me. They were perfect. Oh and some real maple syrup.

So yes, this was a cheating week. However the difference in cheating here is most of it was McDougall cheating using the regular McDougall plan. And even though the cheating was higher in calories of course you can see I still lost weight. Although I do say only most of it was McDougall cheating because the millennium wasn’t 100% fat free. The owner has mentioned in the past while at one of the study weekends that you can ask for a fat free meal so this is a plus. But I didn’t do that my mouth wouldn’t open far enough to ask. :-D However this meal was pretty low in fat this year anyway.

Tip of the week: If you need to cheat while following the MWL plan, try staying within the regular plan guidelines. You'll feel better about your progress.

See ya next week!
TerryP
:wink:
"A DREAM YOU DON'T FIGHT FOR CAN HAUNT YOU FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE"-ROBOTS
TerryP

Postby Letha » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:40 pm

Hi Terry,
Another pound! Yea! I’m happy for you. Sounds like you had a lovely valentine’s dinner at Millennium. If I ever get into your neck of the woods I’m going to have to check it out. Take care.
Letha
Letha

Postby TerryP » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:35 pm

Hi Letha,

How are you doing?

Hope you can try the Millennium someday, it truly is a special place.

Take care now,
TerryP
TerryP

Postby Letha » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:57 pm

Hi Terry,
I'm doing well. Catching up on everyone's journals. Don't know why but my toes have been cold today. I might have to buy myself a pair of slippers. :) Hope you are having a good weekend.
Letha
Letha

Postby TerryP » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:46 pm

Hi Letha,

Hope your feet are warmer now. ;-) Glad to hear your doing well.
Been working in the yard again, glad I'm done.

Take care now ya hear!
TerryP
TerryP

Postby TerryP » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:39 pm

Lost 2 lbs this week.
Total Weight Loss so far, 14.5 lbs.

Original Weight 277.5 12/30/08. Thought I’d start before the New Year. :-)
Today’s Weight 263
I walk 30 minutes six times a Week.

Well I’m surprised; I didn’t think I would lose as much as 2lbs. I’ve been having a terrible time staying away from the regular McDougall plan again. Not being able to have a piece of bread once in a while is really tough on me. Basically I have been cheating back to the regular plan more often than I should but it does keep me SANE and most importantly HAPPY. Which by the way is working. I have not really noticed a negative difference in my life when it comes to eating the McDougall way. I am satisfied and content most of the time. I go about my daily life realizing by the next day that I made another huge accomplishment in my life. I sleep better because of it. But it does have its consequences. I’m losing slower. I’m also finding I can get lazy preparing vegetables to go on my salads. Preparing veggies for snacks and meals etc. After all, I’ve never really done enough of that in my life. Let’s face it. Sometimes I wish I could just grab a bag of chips, cookies and be done with it. But then I have a wake up call and tell myself “get back to reality girl”! The positive side of all this is that I’m still losing weight, I’m feeling better, I’m getting into smaller clothes already. I can still grab food to eat but different foods. Carrots and Veggies, Corn Thins and Fat Free Corn Tortilla Chips with so many wonderful Salsas to choose from.

This is also about same time frame for me every year and I mean every year that I start to fail again. I want this, I want that, this that this that and finally giving in and giving up again. Letting the pain of that vicious cycle take over yet another year of unhappiness and misery. I like to think it’s different this time. I’m losing and every time I lose I feel hope and when I feel hope I feel success to carry on this journey. Thanks for listening!

Tip of the week: Exercise. Yes the dreaded word. But it’s not like A LOT. :D Dr McDougall talked to me about it once. All I needed to do was walk every day to help accomplish my goals. So that’s what I’m doing and it's clearly working. And for my situation without exercise I would probably not be losing this fast!

See ya next week!
Last edited by TerryP on Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TerryP
TerryP

Postby Letha. » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:43 pm

Congratulations Terry on your 2 lb loss. That’s wonderful! This time next year I hope to be walking 6 days a week just like you. :)
Letha
Letha.

Postby TerryP » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:48 pm

Thanks Letha.

And that someday will be here before you know it! You go girl!
TerryP
TerryP

Postby TerryP » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:35 pm

Lost 0 lbs this week. :(
Total Weight Loss so far, 14.5 lbs.

Original Weight 277.5 12/30/08.
Today’s Weight 263
I walk 30 minutes six times a Week.

No weight loss this week. Ate more carbs then I should have again. Getting to a MWL 50/50 program is really tougher than I thought it would be. That’s 50% veggies and 50% starch. I really want to work toward that 50/50 plan because it’s faster weight loss. However it’s been more like 30/70 lately.
I keep reminding myself not to go back to my old ways because it would just devastate me again. This is such a critical time for me. I can’t give up and I'm going to succeed! Is that positive enough! ;-)

I still walk 6 times a week. I’m so glad I have the treadmill because of the rain; it’s given me no excuses not to exercise. I’ve had days I just don’t want to workout but end of finally doing it anyway and of course feeling better having done it. I have kept the walking up well. So I need to continue to tweak my food plans. I’ve been making some wonderful dishes from the http://www.millenniumrestaurant.com/res ... kbook.html Cookbooks. Mainly the simple basic fat-free ones, they give some fun variety and WOW sure make the house smell good;-)

Foods have been simple which I have found to be the most important to sticking to my Mcdougall way of life. I have been having potatoes quite a bit, soups and salads and veggies made many different ways and so forth.

Terry's tip of the week: This one is easy. I make my meals as simple and easy as possible, most of the time. Unless I have company then of course go all out. I then find it easier to stay on the plan then. Dr McDougall once told me and he’s written it down somewhere that I/we can even eat the same thing everyday and we would be just fine. Isn’t the McDougall way of life wonderful!

See ya next week!
TerryP
TerryP

Postby Letha. » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:32 pm

I agree that variety is overrated. Yet I keep trying new recipes. Speaking of which, I appreciate the recommendation on the Millennium Cookbook. My library didn’t have it but I requested they do an interlibrary loan for the book so hopefully I can take a look at it that way. Like you, I’m always trying to up my ratio of veggies. Today I made a huge pot of veggie soup from a recipe posted by LauraA in the food forum. Great job on the walking 6 days a week. Talk to you soon.
Letha
Letha.

Postby TerryP » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:41 pm

Hi Letha,

Good idea on looking at the book(s) first, no point in spending money on something you may not enjoy. Just a note that that many, if not most, of the recipes are very time consuming unless you only do parts of it like me then it's not so overwhelming. I have done some of the more time consuming ones but only for special occasions and everyone goes nuts over them. But they can be pretty daunting. So I usually do the smaller recipes mostly. They are excellent recipes though. But I do like to try new things I need a change from time to time.

I love veggie soup. I make enough to last a few days.

Take care,
TerryP
TerryP

Postby TerryP » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:11 pm

Lost 2 lbs this week.
Total Weight Loss so far, 16.5 lbs since 12/30/08.

Original Weight 277.5
Today’s Weight 261
I walk 27 to 30 minutes six times a Week.

Recently I had my Cholesterol checked; my old number was 248 and now it’s 239. This is a good sign having only been 2 months. I have a goal to get that number under 150. Maybe this is a good sign that I can.

Not much else happening. I continue plugging along. I don't think diet much anymore which is nice. I'm always full and satisfied. Sometimes I wonder why I didn't start this 4 years ago like I was suppose to. But can't dwell on the past, it is what it is. At least I'm doing it now.

Well gotta get back to the garden. Need to get the beds ready for future veggie planting. Take care all!

See ya next week
TerryP
TerryP

Postby Letha. » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:12 pm

Hey Terry,
Congratulations on another 2 pounds lost this week! Great job on the consistent walking. I look forward to hearing all about your garden this spring and summer. :)
Letha
Letha.

Postby TerryP » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:17 pm

Thanks Letha,

Nice to hear from you, hope your well?

My yard work always seems never ending. I will post some veggie pics this summer.

Take care now,
TerryP
TerryP

Postby Letha. » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:16 pm

TerryP wrote: I will post some veggie pics this summer.

Cool! :)
Letha.

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals