Toadfood's Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Toadfood's Journal

Postby toadfood » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:17 am

I've really been overindulging in holiday foods lately. And it doesn't feel like "feasting," which to me would be a planned treat, something I really enjoy and crave. It's just plain overeating.

I need to face what I'm doing, so I'm going to journal it all -- the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Breakfast today: Dal (yellow split peas, carrots, potatoes)
Snack: chocolate Chanukah gelt (5/8 oz)
Lunch: Steel cut oats with raisins and cinnamon

Yeah, I swapped my breakfast and lunch today.
Last edited by toadfood on Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
toadfood

Postby Letha » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:28 am

Welcome to the Journal forum Toadfood. :-D
Letha
Letha

Postby toadfood » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:36 am

Thanks, Letha! Your posts here and on your blog have been very inspiring.
toadfood

Postby Becky » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:20 pm

Welcome, toadfood!
See how I am McDougallizing the recipes in
Robin Roberston's "1000 Vegan Recipes" -
https://testing-1000vr.blogspot.com/
Becky

Postby Letha » Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:15 pm

The holidays are about over so it will be easier now to stay on plan. Best wishes.
Letha
Letha

I'm baaaack!

Postby toadfood » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:02 am

Ok, so maybe I wasn't as ready as I thought to post the good, the bad, and the ugly. But here I am, facing reality.

Weight this morning: 245.6
Fasting blood sugar: 108

Eating plan:

Breakfast: shredded wheat, soy milk
Lunch: black bean and pumpkin soup
Snacks: apples, pretzels
Dinner: Not sure yet. Maybe a baked potato?
toadfood

Postby Letha » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:25 pm

Good for you. Just keep coming back. It gets easier I promise. :)
Letha
Letha

Postby Becky » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:56 pm

The holidays are almost over - things should get easier then!

Becky
See how I am McDougallizing the recipes in
Robin Roberston's "1000 Vegan Recipes" -
https://testing-1000vr.blogspot.com/
Becky

Postby toadfood » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:34 am

Thanks for the encouragement, ladies.

Anyway -- yesterday I was having terrible acid reflux, so I didn't eat what I'd planned. In fact, I didn't eat much at all. Here's what I had:

Breakfast: small bowl of Shredded Wheat with soy milk (about 1/2 to 1/3 of what I usually eat)

Lunch (eaten very late): Brown rice with lower sodium soy sauce and nutritional yeast.

Snack: 1 banana.

Dinner (also pretty late): More brown rice as above, another banana.

And today so far:

Breakfast: Brown rice as above.

Snack: 1 apple.

My planned lunch is more rice, 2 more apples, and a 1/2 cup of unsweetened applesauce. Dinner will probably be mushroom-barley soup or a microwaved potato, and broccoli. Still sticking with bland food, although I feel much better today.

One nice thing about the terrible reflux -- it has made me totally uninterested in eating off plan. I am blaming it on the greasy latkes I cooked Sunday night. I justified it as something I only have once a year, but maybe once a year is too much.

ETA: I had a small bowl of mushroom-barley soup and a banana for dinner. Went to the dentist after work and was in no mood for broccoli.
Last edited by toadfood on Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toadfood

Postby Letha » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:12 am

Hi Toadfood,
I found McDougall food very very helpful for GERD. Best wishes.
Letha
Letha

Postby toadfood » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:46 pm

Thanks, Letha! I'm hopeful.

I'm bored at work right now and that's making me want to snack on the holiday junk food that has accumulated in the office. I'm not going to do that, though. I'm leaving here in an hour to go to the dentist. Then it's home, where there is plenty of delicious on-plan food. I can do it!
toadfood

Postby toadfood » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:12 am

Feeling good today. Breakfast was steel cut oats and raisins, left over from the last big pot I cooked. After this I think I'm going to try oats with blueberries, a la Letha. Lunch will be pumpkin black bean soup from one of the old newsletters -- my own variation, with extra beans and veggies. Snacks will be apples and, if I want them, some pretzels.

For dinner I'm going out with family and friends. I made a reservation at a place I thought everyone would like (including kids), where there are lots of vegan options. I'm not sure what I'm going to eat. I usually get falafel, and deep fried is not sounding good right now. Maybe lentil soup and stuffed grape leaves. I don't know. I'll report back!
toadfood

Postby walker1 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:23 am

Toadfood,

Good morning. That Pumpkin/Black Bean soup sounds delicious. I will have to look it up. I eat a ton of soup this time of year and am always looking for new recipes.

I love falafel. Do you ever make it at home?

Let us know how you did at the restaurant. It sounds like you have some good choices lined up for yourself.

Enjoy,
Nancy
walker1

Postby toadfood » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:58 am

Hi Nancy, thanks for the encouragement! I didn't do so great at the restaurant -- had a lentil, rice and noodle dish that I know was loaded with olive oil, plus hummus and way too much (white) pita bread. Oh well.

That pumpkin black bean soup is great. My family was visiting; I served it to them and they all loved it. I gave my mom the recipe. Unfortunately that means there is none left! I'm doing lots of cooking today, though. Here's the loooong post I just put up in the January 2009 MWL support thread:

Well, hi gang. It's great to be part of such a big active group!

Over the holiday weekend I had family visiting, ate restaurant food, white bread and some high fat treats -- but now the holidays are over, the family have gone home, and I am ON PLAN AND PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY. This will be my first full work week since the middle of December, and I am spending the day doing laundry and cooking MWL food.

Had a big bowl of oatmeal with just some salt for breakfast. Then for workday breakfasts I cooked up a big pot of steel cut oats. I will put these in single serving containers and nuke them at my office every morning. Usually I eat steel cut oats with raisins but since there's no dried fruit on MWL I threw in a bag of frozen mixed berries, half a bag of frozen blueberries, lots of cinnamon and a little brown sugar. I have a bag of shredded zucchini from the summer harvest in my freezer, so I think next time I'll try Letha's zucchini oats.

On the stove right now:

-- A pot of brown basmati rice.
--A pot of Pumpkin Lentil Soup. I wish I could post the recipe for this, but it's a dried soup mix my partner's coworkers gave her as a holiday gift. Just a mix of lentils, brown and wild rice, dried veggies and herbs -- no sugar, salt, fat, or MSG. The recipe on the package calls for chicken broth, so I just used water and some No-Chicken broth powder I make myself from Dr. Pinckney's recipe (herbs and nutritional yeast, salt and pepper). Added carrots, taters, and celery. Later, per package instructions I'll add a can of pumpkin puree and some red wine. This is making a great big pot of soup that will be terrific for lunches.
--Three big sweet potatoes are baking in the oven. This is my favorite way to eat sweet potatoes. They get all caramelized and yummy and I just put a little cinnamon on them. For lunch I'm planning to have a sweet potato and salad -- baby romaine, grape tomatoes and ff dressing.

If I have the energy, later I'm going to buy more taters and make colcannon. Also want to cook up some brussels sprouts with dal -- a recipe my mom gave me.

Happy eating, everyone!
toadfood

Postby Letha » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:09 am

Boy, you’ve got lots of good stuff cooking today. You sound really well organized for the work week. You're getting the year off to a great start!
Letha
Letha

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals