SAD Husband & Vegan Wife 10 Day Mini

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

SAD Husband & Vegan Wife 10 Day Mini

Postby kpolninja » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:41 am

Tommorrow my SAD eating husband and my vegan self are starting on a 10 day Mary's Mini using potatos. I think it will be interesting for my husband. My hope is to drop 8-10 lbs to get my body jumpstarted. I hope he looses a lot as well and has the opportunity to see that eating vegan and healthy is incredibly beneficial.

I hope to work out 1/2 of the days for 30 minutes each time. I'm thinking about sticking strictly with the wii fit, just to prove to my husband how easy it is. :P

We are going to St. Lucia for our 5 year anniversary next July...we have a lot of work to do for our bikini bodies!

I want to do a 10 day mini every month to keep myself on track. After a mini, regular MWL is so easy!
kpolninja

Postby busymomof4 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:49 am

I'm getting ready to start Mary's Mini, as well. You are doing good to get your dh to do it with you...I could NEVER get mine to do it with me! Maybe MWL, but not MM. He is your standard meat/cheese/bread kind of guy. :P Plus, we have dc who are so used to the SAD. Not to mention pre-packaged foods.

Keep us updated!
Michele
busymomof4

Postby kpolninja » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:50 pm

I'm really lucky because my husband understands I am an ethical vegan. In taking my feelings into consideration we stoped having dead animal flesh in our house about a year ago. I'm going to have both of us weigh in tonigh as we prepare for a great 10 day mini!!!
kpolninja

Postby kpolninja » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:29 pm

we started yesterday and my husband seems perfectly content to do this. I made the mistake of weighing myself last night, I was up from day before and in reality I know that it was the end of the day, I'm retaining water, and it had only been a day, but it still bugged me. I think I will just way three times over these 10 days. The first day, the 5th and the last day.

1st day was 187.6 for me, I can't remember husband's weight.

I had a soy latte today, but sometimes it is the little things every once in a while that make this easy to stick to.

More to come....
kpolninja

Happy Halloween

Postby kpolninja » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:26 am

We are skipping the parties this year (not because we are dieting, but because we are broke and tired), so I don't see too much difficulty with the day.

My husband still views this as very much a diet, not a lifestyle change, but he is not complaining what so ever so I guess I shouldn't either.

My shoulders and hamstrings are so sore, I did 30 minutes on the wii on Wednesday night! Husband has not worked out at all, but I'm not going to push that with him...baby steps.

As for me, this is a life style change. I'm not going to do MM forever because I like variety, but I will be following MWL till I'm at my happy weight, what ever that turns out to be.

I made a CRAZY good soup last night. Potato miso...so good. Maybe I'll put it in the recipe area.

I fully plan on having two pieces of candy today...fat free hard candy of course.
kpolninja

Postby kpolninja » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:55 pm

Husband has lost almost 4 pounds and I've lost...1, but it is all good, a loss is a loss right! 5 days down 5 to go.
kpolninja

Postby proverbs31woman » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:00 pm

Sounds good, kpolninja!
proverbs31woman

Postby Letha » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:18 pm

kpolninja wrote:Husband has lost almost 4 pounds and I've lost...1, but it is all good, a loss is a loss right! 5 days down 5 to go.

Congratulations on your losses. Continued success on your journey!
VW
Letha

Postby Love the Lorax » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:54 pm

You're right... a loss is a loss!!!! And it stinks that the guys tend to lose so much more easily than the ladies, but it is true. I'm starting a 5 day Mary's Mini tomorrow, and I hoping for good results. I'd like to do 10 days, but I know already that I'll go off next weekend by eating pasta (the only thing I can get at Olive Garden, which is were hubby wants to go. He'd hardly accept my declining his invitation because I can't eat pasta! LOL!!!)
Love the Lorax

Postby kpolninja » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:28 pm

Thanks everybody!

I'm sure our indulging (if you can even call it that since it has been only 2 or three pieces of hard candy a day - maybe 200 calories at the most) in candy over the halloween weekend has slowed me down a bit, but it is not too bad.

Husband has not worked out at all, but I did 30 minutes on the treadmill last night and last thursday I did 30 minutes on the wii (Jillian Michael's Fitness Ultimatium 2009 - it will kick your butt). So I plan to work out wednesday, thursday, and friday (monday and tuesday are out of the questions because of school) to meet my goal of working out 5 out of the 10 days.

I'm feeling really good about this mini program, but I really don't think I've lost anymore than I do when I follow the MWL program. Starting on the 9th (I'm taking the 8th off so I can drink some wine and champagine at the wedding we are going to) I'm going to track my success following the MWL for 10 days and see what the difference ends up being.

I would really love to loose 10 lbs over the month of November and I think if I can manage to get 3-4 days of 30 minute work outs in that I can do it.

My wii tells me that I'm obese right now (mean old wii) so my goal is to get my BMI into the overweight category by the end of the year. It will be a strech, and I know it is going to depend on my working out. When school is out I'm going to start working out 6 days (30 minutes) a week to help me reach my goal.

I'm interested to see what Husband does after he finishes the Mini.
kpolninja

making compromises...

Postby kpolninja » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:11 am

Well with some really great encouragement from hasanismom (thanks!!) I've come to realize that being fit and healthy is so much more important than sugary treats, however some type of quality of life has to be maintain.

I've decided to make a compromise with myself:
5 days a week working out is going to be mandatory...I can easily find 30 minutes a day 5 days a week.

Soy lattes are good, but they are expensive, so how about a cup of coffee or teeccino with a splash of soy milk instead? Sounds good to me. I'm going to make my soy lattes (soy milk and espresso) my free day drink - my coffee shop gives a stamp card and for every 10 drinks you buy you get one free. Monday is double stamp day so I'm only going to buy on Mondays (only a small cup of joe - decaf), then after 5 mondays I'll have myself a treat drink.

Excercsise check, drinks check...candy......

I feel like a 5 year old, but I really love my candy.
I'm thinking two pieces of hard candy (like a root beer barrel or star mint) or one lolly pop (like the kind from the doctor's office) a day. And a treat like sorbetto or a popcicle maybe twice a week, if I really want it.
kpolninja

Postby kpolninja » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:48 pm

husband is down 6
I'm down...1.5, BUT I'm the lowest I have been for a REALLY long time. :D :D :D :D
kpolninja

Postby kpolninja » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:30 am

sometimes I have to say "I will not punch my husband in the face, I will not punch my husband in the face".... :D :D :D I'm so proud of his weight loss, but I'm licking my wounds after steping on the scale last night and seeing a .7 increase (but why did I think I should step on in the evening?!!?!?).

What is great is that my normal response would have been to say well if I've gained weight I should just eat what ever I want for the rest of the night, but I was much more positive in my efforts and I made my mashed potatoes for dinner with a HUGE salad and packed my lunch for today with an abundance of zucchini and slightly less potatos.

I'm thinking that weighing myself every day (especially in the evening) is a bad idea, but at the same time it keeps me honest (with my new positive outlook) seeing that number every day, if it goes down I get happy, if it goes up I refocus. I need to learn how not to pout about it.

In other news YAY OBAMA! :-P Boo on Prop 8 (bunch of haters!) :x
kpolninja

Postby kpolninja » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:02 pm

We didn't make it through the mini, life got crazy and we fell off the wagon on the evening of the 9th day.

I learned that mini is too restrictive (and not all that great at causing me to loose weight...I only lost 2lbs) for me, I begin to focus on what I can't have (and I mean things like brown rice, oatmeal, other starches), rather that what is allowed on the MWL.

I'm going to keep posting in my Journal here though, working on MWL. After my taco bell last night (bad I know, but at least it was vegan...right?!? - ok wrong, but I'm back on track today).

Yesterday I weighed 185.6 which is the lowest I've weighed in a long time. I was afraid I would never get out of the 190s and I have, never to return! :D
kpolninja

Postby proverbs31woman » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:00 pm

kpolninja wrote:We didn't make it through the mini, life got crazy and we fell off the wagon on the evening of the 9th day.

I learned that mini is too restrictive (and not all that great at causing me to loose weight...I only lost 2lbs) for me, I begin to focus on what I can't have (and I mean things like brown rice, oatmeal, other starches), rather that what is allowed on the MWL.

kpolninja,

You have been doing so well! Congratulations on reaching a weight that you haven't seen in a while.

I understand what you mean about MM being too restrictive. While I followed it, I adjusted some aspects of it to make it work for me. For instance, instead of eating brown rice (my starch of choice) all day, I ate oatmeal for breakfast every morning. Also, toward the end, I started to get tired of the brown rice, so I started to eat potatoes for dinner, but I made sure that I ate just about the same thing every day. Making those adjustments made me enjoy the program and lose weight effortlessly.

I'm glad that you have made a decision that works for you, so I'm sure that you and your hubby (I hope he's still on board) will find success in the less restrictive MWL program.

I enjoy reading your updates!
proverbs31woman

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals