Way of Life

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Way of Life

Postby Caroveggie » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:01 pm

So I'm still feeling out of shape. I haven't been at 100% compliance especially when I'm stressed out or if it's inconvenient. :(

I'm reading a book about habits that has some insights. It's called The Power of Habit. It does go on into shopping habits and store culture a bit which I find interesting although also annoying because of course I'm reading this because I want to change my habits back to healthy habits.

One thing it said is that old habits can be over-ridden but they don't really leave, they're just buried underneath which I think is true.

I'm trying to get through the book but I tend to get bogged down when he goes on about companies. I liked Part 1 better, which was just about the personal aspects of habits and habit change and what goes on in the brain, etc.

So what I'm taking away from it is the more you reinforce the good habits and replace the bad habit loop with a better routine (you might have the same cue/trigger and the same reward at the end but the routine is what changes) and if you believe in the change, then you'll be developing stronger (healthy/good) habits to over-ride the old ones. Sorry for the very long sentence. :duh:

What this means is that I'm going to try to get back to 100% with the idea in mind that if I cheat, overeat, eat emotionally rather than when hungry, and all that stuff, then I'm not really helping myself create a healthy habit but instead keeping the old habits going strong.

Hm.

At least I've been McDougalling long enough to have a large inventory of yummy legal recipes and meals to draw from. It's now just about sticking to it.

Also want to start jogging again but let me tell you, having gained some weight :oops: , jogging is not what it used to be. Oh, sadness. :crybaby: I really look forward to feeling light again when I run and jog. Right now it's just plain work. I really see how weight gain is a cycle. Have a sedentary job, eating indiscretions, slack off on exercise, and what you end up with is a blobby unhappy hard to motivate self that misses the lean self one once was. Indeed.

Anyway, once again I'm going to start up the McDougall Way of Life cause and change my bad habits to good ones.

:!: The light is on.
Caroveggie

Postby Caroveggie » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:05 am

B ~ old fashioned oats with a little Herbamare, cherries and blueberries and some soy milk. Very yummy.

Lunch will be quinoa, kale, pinto beans with Jeff's lemon tahini dressing.

Dinner, not sure, have veggie soup, banana, and also veggies to bake at home if that's where I end up eating.

Have my clothes to go to the gym after work.
Caroveggie

Postby Caroveggie » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:38 pm

Lunch was good. I also chopped up a small tomato and ate that with it. I had a banana also.

Dinner is cooking. Baked veggies (brussel sprouts, asparagus, and dark mushrooms) with quinoa with a little soy sauce and balsamic vinegar.

Went to the gym but I'm wasn't very enthused as I only had my moccasins and not my sneakers. I did treadmill-kind-of things for about 1/2 an hour. I'm figuring out I don't like going to the gym straight after work because 1) it's dinner time and I just want to go home and eat and 2) the busses get packed usually on the way back.

I still have to make an appointment to learn all the machines. Also there wasn't a yoga class until very late.
Caroveggie

Postby Caroveggie » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:53 am

I woke up really early this morning so I made some veggie curry for lunch. I still have quinoa to go with it. I may get some potatoes because I'm starting to miss them. :nod:

Just had my usual oatmeal. I put a little more Herbamare in than usual (by accident). It's a bit less salty tasting when I put just a sprinkle.

For lunch I have the veggie curry with quinoa and kale.

For dinner I might have some more veggie curry because I want to eat here rather than go to the gym after work and be hungry there. It ruins my workout because all I think about is dinner. So I'll have to quickly cook and package some dinner from what I've brought today so that way I'll be ready.

Also want to add in some fruit for a snack maybe.

I walked halfway here. I couldn't walk the whole way since I was running late. On the walk to work a psychic stopped me and said my aura was bright and good things were coming for me. :)
Caroveggie

Postby lmggallagher » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:44 pm

Way to go - bright aura :)

That's the beauty of living in this area - I mean just how many folks out there encounter physics on the way to places :)

Sounds like all is going well with you and you are eating yummy stuff !

lmggallagher

Postby f1jim » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:49 pm

Well I am not psychic but I also sense a wonderful aura around you Caroveggie. Much success to you.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby Caroveggie » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:50 pm

Thought I'd stop by and check in. Yesterday I went to Costco and stocked up on chickpeas and potatoes. They're some of my favorites. I already had a lot of oatmeal and blueberries. I buy the salad separately since it's just me and I don't want to waste any.

So this morning I had oatmeal with blueberries and cranberries for breakfast. The soymilk was old so I lost a bowl when I discovered that. Tomorrow I'll bring a new soymilk for work breakfasts.

Lunch was a can of chickpeas, cranberries, and nutritional yeast and a bartlett pear and a small white potato.

I think for dinner I might bake some veggies. I love baked veggies with some balsamic vinegar...yum...

For some reason I'm really tired right now. Can't wait for the work day to be over so I can just lounge.

3 more hours. :nod:

Hope everyone is doing well. I know it's been a while. Just busy with life.
Caroveggie

Postby Caroveggie » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:58 am

Forgot the soymilk this morning. So I had cooked dry oatmeal with cherries and blueberries. It was still good, just not as good as with the soymilk.

Last night for dinner I had baked veggies with balsamic to dip. Pretty good. My roommate made a yummy veggie curry so I tried a little of that. Today I am going to 100% McDougall.

Also got a little bike ride in last night because I biked down to the used book store.

Today I was running late so I didn't walk to work.

Lunch will be chickpeas, cranberries, and nutritional yeast (never gets old) and maybe some small white potatoes also.
Caroveggie

Postby Caroveggie » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:14 pm

More of the same:

B ~ old fashioned oatmeal, cherries, blueberries, a little Herbamare, and soymilk
L ~ chickpeas, cranberries, and nutritional yeast, 2 small potatoes, cherries
D ~ ?

I made curry last night but I ran out of curry and used other spices. It's OK. I ate it with nutritional yeast on top and that fixed it. So I'll probably have that with brown rice for dinner.
Caroveggie

Postby Caroveggie » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:46 pm

Late breakfast of chickpeas, cranberries, and nutritional yeast. Lunch of 1 potato and McDougall black bean soup cup. Dinner, you just never know. I have some veggies in the fridge to bake, brussel sprouts and mushrooms. So I'll probably have that with brown rice.

I ran early this morning. OK, jogged and walked but still. Haven't done that in a while.

I like the testimonial section here, it's very inspiring.

Happy McDougalling. Still at it. :wink:
Caroveggie

Postby Caroveggie » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:29 am

Breakfast is the same, lunch is the same. Dinner will probably be roasted veggies to finish off what I have. Last night I made a yummy whole wheat pasta dish instead of finishing off the veggies.

B ~ oatmeal w/berries
L ~ chickpeas with cranberries and nutritional yeast, probably a potato also (with Herbamare)
D ~ roasted brussel sprouts and mushrooms with rice and leftover "curry"

After work I think I'll go to the Sunset and get the curry I like, Madras curry powder mix. I'm all out. That will be a long walk. I'll listen to my French lessons.
Caroveggie

Postby lmggallagher » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:55 pm

I like it when you mention where your walking to in the City - reminds me of when I lived there long ago. Looks like your doing good with the eating and exercising!

lmggallagher

Postby Caroveggie » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:43 am

Hi Michelle, thanks for stopping by. Most of my walking is just to work or back, about 40 minutes to an hour. This morning I tried to walk but I was too slow so I had to take the bus.

Just had oatmeal with berries again. Pretty good. Have a couple choices for lunch so I'll see what I feel like having. Have a screenwriting meet up at dinner time so I'll have to make do. I think I'll try to bring my container of chickpeas for that. Maybe grab a banana somewhere also.

Have been reading Geo's journal, quite inspiring.

Too bad I'm a little sleepy after the 3 day weekend.
Caroveggie

Postby Caroveggie » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:20 pm

Having brown rice with soy sauce, soft baked sweet potato, and broccoli. It's very yummy.

Tonight I went grocery shopping and while I have many staples at home, the total was 12 dollars and some change. Gotta love that.

I baked 4 sweet potatoes and I'll keep them in the fridge for the week. I wonder if I should wrap them up or if they'll be fine as they are. I guess I should go out and get some wrap too.

I can't believe how yummy this very simple meal is.
Caroveggie

Postby Caroveggie » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:19 am

Breakfast was oatmeal (old fashioned) with a little sprinkle of salt, small banana chunks, and soy milk and cinnamon. Very good.

Lunch will probably be sweet potato, brown rice, and broccoli from last night.

Dinner I'm not sure because I'll be busy tonight at a fundraiser, so maybe some fruit.

I went out to jog this morning but ended up walking most of it. Little over half maybe. Then I took the bus home. Total of about 2 miles. But I also do a lot of walking just to get chores done around here (like walk to stores nearby, etc.) I am also watching my foot because something's not right with it.

Today I plan to learn some French, go shoe shopping, and prepare for the fundraiser tonight. It's for a musical for a good cause.
Caroveggie

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals