Way of Life

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Way of Life

Postby Caroveggie » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:35 am

I didn't run this morning. I was too sleepy and my muscles are a little sore. I also have some blisters on my feet. :(

I still plan on running tomorrow morning or sometime tomorrow. Just an easy jog to keep up my momentum.

So far I've been good with eating. Here's yesterday:

B ~ steel cut oats, blueberry, a little stevia
L ~ brown rice and veggie curry
S ~ bowl of chickpeas + nutritional yeast and a little salt
D ~ salad from Pluto's without dressing and with beets, corn, pasta, chickpeas, kidney beans, carrots, and one more thing I can't remember. A little bit of "wheat" bread. Dry salad seasoned with some salt.

Today I'm having:

B ~ steel cut oats, blueberries, and stevia packet
L ~ rest of the salad and veggie curry with it
If I'm still hungry I brought a can of chickpeas to have as snack. Which I think I'll have..
D ~ I don't know because I'm going to my old job's 10th anniversary. I just checked the time and I don't think I'll have time to stop at Whole Foods before... so I may go out during lunch and buy a banana to have with the chickpeas right around 5pm so I won't be too hungry during dinner time.
Caroveggie

Postby Caroveggie » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:46 pm

Today I walked a lot instead of running. My legs were sore for quite a while so I'm going to let them heal up. Walking I can do though. I estimate I've walked about 6 miles maybe, and will be adding another 2 more in at least. It's beautiful weather out and I'm enjoying the day.

This morning I had a pumpkin scone from Starbucks. Not sure what the damage is on that. Oh well. I'll try to make the rest of the day more healthful.

Enjoy your starches my friends. :)
Caroveggie

Postby Caroveggie » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:20 pm

Yesterday I had chocolate. It was sooo good. But still, I shouldn't have wasted my money on it. I also walked a real long time because I was stuck downtown and didn't want to take the bus. I went to an open house for a filmmaking school. The school is too expensive for me but it was fun to go anyways. I thought we would get a tour but instead we were kept in one room and talked to. We did see movies that some of their students had made. Oh well. I can't afford it, certainly not now. Maybe in the future I can take one of their shorter version classes. Alas. At least the food I buy is cheap. :)

I'm so hungry right now. My stomach actually growled earlier. I didn't have breakfast because I wasn't hungry when I had time to eat it around 8 am. I thought I'd be fine but I'm really starting to feel hungry. Good thing I take my lunch in about 10 minutes. I have the same old rice and curry veggies. Next time I'm going to maybe use two cans of diced tomatoes so the curry is wetter rather than dry. Yup. 10 more minutes.
Caroveggie

Postby lmggallagher » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:52 pm

Hi Carroveggie:

Good to see you posting again. Things sound good in your life and your eating well too :) I have to read all the journal later when I have time, but I scanned and saw there was a Bay Area group outing! Yay. I wish I had known. Maybe I missed it being advertised here, darn. Please let me know if there is like an email alert too as my email has changed this last year.

Best Wishes - Michelle

lmggallagher

Postby Caroveggie » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:54 pm

Sure thing, it's Bay Area McDougallers on Facebook (BAM for short). I forget how I found out about it. Next time they have a meet up I will let you know.

Nothing much to report. I need to think up lunch meals I can make at home and take to work. I typically tend to make a big veggie curry and eat that with rice. But even veggie curry every day gets tiresome. What are other good lunch meals people eat? I have a fridge and a microwave at my work. I'm going to browse some journals and see how people are making do.
Caroveggie

Postby Anna Green » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:20 pm

Hey! I enjoy your stream of consciousness. I do that too. So lunch ideas. How about green beans in pasta sauce over br rice? Or gr beans and potatoes smothered in onion and garlic and seasoning? I'm on a green bean kick here. Or a Mexican rice bowl w/ chili beans, salsa, corn, whatever veggies you like or put over greens.

I'm making myself hungry. You have a good one.
Anna Green

Postby Caroveggie » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:28 am

Hi Anna Green thanks for stopping by. And thanks for your suggestions! I am not a fan of green beans too much but I like the veggie chili idea. So far I have broccoli and brown rice and some sweet potatoes (and all my usual fixings for the veggie curry). So I think I'll try something with that.

I biked this morning to get more exercise since my foot still hurts so I don't want to run on it. Then I took a long hilly walk to get some corn Chex cereal. It's not whole foods, I know, but I've been craving something crunchy. It's hitting the spot.

It's a beautiful day here in SF. I may bike across the Golden Gate today and see Sausalito. I check out the art galleries and then settle myself at Starbucks with a book. What's funny is every single time I've done this I sit in the same spot and end up chatting with one of the regulars there. Or I might see a movie over there, depending on what's playing.

Hope you all enjoy your day. :)
Caroveggie

Postby lmggallagher » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:48 am

OMG - sounds like a perfect day - hope you did that :)

lmggallagher

Postby Caroveggie » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:53 am

I didn't end up going to Sausalito but instead walked all through Golden Gate park. The weather was beautiful. I read a really interesting book about screenwriting and then walked around Stowe Lake which has many critters about - I saw geese, ducks, turtles, koi fish, and different varieties of other birds like gulls, chickadees, and sparrows. It was just what I needed.

Later I walked home and made veggie curry and enjoyed it. Guess I wasn't tired of it after all. So I have that for lunch today (again). I had Chex with banana and almond milk for breakfast which was good. I still have steel cut oats made but I don't feel like having them. They're a bit heavy and I felt like having something lighter for breakfast today.

I'm going to try to get more exercise in today after work. Maybe a bike ride or something.
Caroveggie

Postby Caroveggie » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:47 pm

Yesterday I had:

Breakfast: skipped
Lunch: chickpeas, banana, onion, and nutritional yeast with some salt to taste
Dinner: veggie curry and rice

Today I've had:

Breakfast: steel cut oats, berries, stevia, and almond milk
Lunch: veggie soup with rice noodles, veggie broth, and fried tofu in it (along with steamed veggies)
Dinner will likely be veggie curry with rice

My coworker bought us lunch today so I had fried tofu in the soup. It didn't seem super oily. The soup was very good but probably had a little oil in the broth.

I'm really looking forward to the curry tonight. And for some reason strawberries and sweet potatoes sounds like a yummy mixture to try out soon. Got that idea from Sweet Pea's journal.
Caroveggie

Postby lmggallagher » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:11 pm

Oh yes - Golden Gate Park can be a perfect day too, for sure. So ,yesterday a friend and I went to the De Young to see "Girl with a Pearl" and to hang out in the Park too! You live in the most wonderful City in the World - oh, my bias is showing. Doing great on the food too and much better than me on the exercise!

lmggallagher

Postby Caroveggie » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:30 am

Not really, recently I've been doing pretty bad as far as chocolate goes. (Yes, chocolate with dairy). I need to change. My work has moved us so now I am getting more exercise than before which is good, but the chocolate has not been helping. I think I'm comfort-eating because of the stress from work (we had to move and switch desks to opposite ends of our department... a move which, by the way, let me point out - makes no sense whatsoever). At any rate, let me repeat, I need to change.

Once again I commit to 100% McDougalling.

I'm thinking of adding in grapes or some other sweet fruit at the end of my meal. One of the Star McDougallers ate a few raisins at the end of her meals and that helped keep her on track. I don't like raisins (unless they're in dairy chocolate) so I think I'll go with grapes.
Caroveggie

Postby Caroveggie » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:06 pm

Today I've had my usual.

B ~ Steel cut oats with berry mix cooked in and fresh blueberries and banana on top. Sweetened with a little stevia powder and drizzled with almond milk.

L ~ brown rice and curry veggie. This time the curry veggie included spinach but not sweet potato. Every time I make it I do it a little differently. The only thing that stays the same is the curry powder, diced tomatoes, and chickpeas.

D ~ not sure just yet but I think I'll have roasted brussel sprouts and something to go with them. Maybe I'll buy some oats and attempt some of Jeff's burgers for the first time. I'll have to rewatch that DVD.
Caroveggie

Postby Caroveggie » Wed May 01, 2013 9:50 am

I still haven't made Jeff's burgers. But I still want to learn and add that to my quick and easy recipe repertoire.

I did get up at 3am and go for a run. My run wasn't that long but for a first try after a long time without running, it wasn't bad. I went a total of 4 miles but walked most of it. Then I went back to bed. And, of course, woke up sleepier at 7am than I was at 3am. Go figure.

I was too sleepy to get up earlier to make more steel cut oats, so instead I had a potato. I would have had just a can of chickpeas with some seasonings, but I'm all out. (Protein wakes you up and carbs can make you sleepy.) Alas.

For lunch I'll be having my staple of veggie curry with brown rice.

Dinner I don't know but I should really make those Jeff burgers..

If I have a snack, it'll be half a banana which I have at my desk and have to eat today.

I'm pleasantly sore from the run. Not too sore but sore enough. I'm going to check out running schedules to see when's the best time I should run again and how much. I've looked over some upcoming 5Ks and I might want to do one.
Caroveggie

Postby Caroveggie » Thu May 02, 2013 10:51 am

For dinner last night I had a potato sandwich (on a whole wheat hot dog bun). It was really good.

Breakfast this morning was same old, same old. Steel cut oats with blueberries and banana slices and almond milk and stevia and some cinnamon. Very yummy.

Lunch will be veggie curry. Last night I was out of chickpeas so I made it with pinto beans. Also, no potato. :( So it's spinach, carrots, corn, pinto beans, green beans, and lima beans mixed with diced tomatoes and curry powder. I'll see how that tastes with brown rice.

For dinner I'm going to Olive Garden with my parents and uncle for my mother's birthday. I'm going to check the menu online and see what I can have. Maybe I will try to get the salad dry with vinegar on the side and a basic tomato-based marinara and pasta for my meal. I'm not going to sweat this one meal too much, but I won't have dessert and I will try to get the salad dry.

Today is a rest day from my running schedule. My very beginner running schedule. Tomorrow I run again.
Caroveggie

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals