Psoriatic Arthritis Journal - 2.5 year Update Page 63

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Psoriatic Arthritis Journal

Postby Lesliec1 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:22 pm

nicoles wrote:Leslie - did you earn a lot from the paintings? Or were you doing something else, too?

I always just did it on the side. I think that's why I had the confidence to charge more. When I rely on it for money then I get scared to ask too much. Do you have a fb page? Debbie has a link in her sig. for hers (in red type.)

edited to add: I'm amazed that turmeric works for some people. I took so much of it in the past. Plus both natural docs liked Zyflamend which seems to be mostly turmeric. Now I'm curious to read something concrete about it. I spent quite a bit of money on that with no results at all. Never understood why so many seem to like it.
Lesliec1

Postby Debbie » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:52 pm

Sorry you have a headache. :( No fun no matter what!

I hate this word, but I think Im detoxing. I have acne!!! Even in my puberty years I didn't have but one a month, at that time of the month. I currently have like 7!!!! :eek: sigh, that's what I get I suppose. :nod:

Feel better soon!!!

Edit to add, the link is in my signature line. :)
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby Lesliec1 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:10 am

nicoles wrote:Guess what I found? The blog of someone who is getting off meds and dealing with her psoriatic arthritis through a vegan, Fuhrman-based diet!

You are so good at finding things. I read some of her blog. Looks like she's been doing it for 2 years now? I read where she says she hopes to eliminate Humira. Have you found if she has been able to do that yet? I'm so NOT good at finding things.
Lesliec1

Postby nicoles » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:50 am

Hey Leslie :) . As far as what I found on her blog, it looks like she is still on the Humira, but off two of the other drugs she used to take, and taking the Humira less frequently, so heading a the right direction.

It's always so interesting to see another person's experience. Seems to me that it takes a long time for a lot of people to really get results, a longer time than anyone'd prefer at the outset, for sure. But still, the alternatives leave much to be desired.
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby nicoles » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:54 pm

So, the headache is gone. It came back a few hours after taking the turmeric supplement yesterday, but then lifted later on in the day. I also went to bed around 4 in the afternoon, and it was wonderful :D

But anyway, between the last couple of days, the headache and reading Debbie's new journal, it got me to thinking about detox. So I got on the scale this a.m., and sure enough, I am down 3 pounds from a week ago. All I can say for sure is: yes, I was quite stressed, but also I lost some weight this week, and every time I do I seem to have one of these "episodes." (I was trying to lose some of the weight I gained over Christmas and last week was the week I officially started to do that.)

So, what does this mean? Maybe nothing, I have no idea. But I find it interesting to take note of.

My Journal
nicoles

Postby roadwarriorvegan » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:15 pm

Hello everyone,

First, my apologies for crashing Nicole's journal, but I thought I'd stop by to introduce myself as I noticed I'd had some visitors to my blog from here. Yes, I am the blogger mentioned above by Nicole, and yes, I have successfully got myself off Celebrex (I was taking 200 mg twice a day) and Methotrexate (I was taking as much as 20mg - 8 pills - once a week). I've managed to stretch my Humira to once every three weeks and hope to improve on that as time goes on.

In all fairness, I've only really been doing Dr. Fuhrman's program for the past 6-7 months; before that I had dabbled in it, turned vegan, added fish back to my diet, turned vegan again, and then finally made the commitment to Just Do It Already! So it's been two years of experimentation and then 6-7 months of commitment.

Again, apologies for crashing Nicole's journal, but I love hearing about others who are trying to deal with PsA with diet rather than all those medications. It's not a quick fix, for sure. Then again, remember the saying? "Fast. Cheap. Good. Pick two." Yep, it certainly applies here.

Humira gives me fast and good, but at an unknown long-term cost to my health and it's certainly not cheap. I'm hoping for cheap and good, without the long-term cost to my health, but it's not as fast as I'd like. That's okay. I'd rather rely on whole foods to heal me than a very expensive drug.

I have visited here before (and in fact, Nicole, your journal was my inspiration to get serious about using food as medicine), but never signed up. Thanks to those of you who stopped by my blog. I hope you find it helpful in your own journey back to health and I'll try to stop in more often and maybe even post once in a while! :-)
RoadWarriorVegan - now gluten-free too!

Blogging about being a gluten-free, vegan road-warrior with psoriatic arthritis, and simple, tasty recipes at roadwarriorvegan.wordpress.com
roadwarriorvegan

Postby Debbie » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:23 pm

Its funny, the word detox. I don't feel badly, like one would think that someone would go through if they stop alcohol or drugs, but Im definitely going through something. The next week for me will be critical. Not only do I have to deal with the blahs of "boring eating" but I also have to deal with getting rid of toxic build up of crap from what Ive put in my body. It might get ugly. :unibrow: :lol:

Hope you ended up having a good day!
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby eri » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:21 am

Hey Nicole! Just getting caught up on your journal! So much going on. First, I love Katt Williams. He is so flippin' funny (but so not clean)! I'm glad you are feeling better! I think a lot about what you wrote a few pages back...defining our identity through work & work only. No work=no identity for many people. It sucks!

Hey & *hugs* to Leslie, fulenn, Debbie, mw & rrv!
eri

Postby nicoles » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:30 am

Hi Debbie, Roadwarriorvegan, and Eri!

I have a bunch to say but today is not going to be a computer day so just stopped in here to say "Hey" and leave you with this lovely video of a pod of Dolphins working together to help one of their own. I read something recently or heard it about how we are more biologically similar to whales or dolphins that previously imagined...I think it was on 60 minutes...and I have been on a sea-mammal kick ever since.

Until next time, Enjoy!

My Journal
nicoles

Postby moonwatcher » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:07 am

HI Nicole and All,

Here's something to feed your sea mammal kick--this little book about a 17 year old girl who is an open ocean swimmer encountering, and then helping, a lost baby gray whale is a gem--

http://www.amazon.com/Grayson-Lynne-Cox/dp/B002UXS1GK

It can be read in a very short time, and is not to be missed if you love the ocean and all the creatures in it, and are fascinated by interspecies communication. :) Okay, that was a mouthful, but you get the idea. :lol: It takes place off Seal Beach, Nicole.

xoxo

moonwatcher
Please join me at my new blog Plant-Based Slow Motion Miracle

http://fatfreevegan.com/slowmiracle/

Or visit my journal, Moonwatcher's Slow Motion Miracle, on this site. Before and after pictures on page 4.
moonwatcher

Postby nicoles » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:59 pm

Oooh, thanks Moonwatcher! I am very excited to read that now. I love the cover, too! So lovely.

Oh yes, and I also found a video today about the gentle side of leopard seals.

My Journal
nicoles

Postby moonwatcher » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:11 am

Thanks, Nicole, that video was amazing!! What a great way to end my day.

xoxo

moonwatcher

Or visit my journal, Moonwatcher's Slow Motion Miracle, on this site. Before and after pictures on page 4.
moonwatcher

Postby moonwatcher » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:08 pm

ps: Just want to say I forwarded the leopard seed video both the my film making son, and to a poet friend who had a residency in Antarctica. Both loved it. Mike said the guy was a bad ass. (I thought he'd like the part about the camera being the photographer's mouth :lol: :lol: ) The friend says that photographer is the real deal, dives with polar bears, and that he grew up in an Eskimo community, is part of it. Thought you might enjoy that factoid, if you didn't already know. It's hard to impress my friend with Antarctica stuff, since he knows so much about it, and even has a book of poems coming out about it, so it was fun to do!!

Hope all is well at your end. And let me know what you think of Grayson, once you get a chance to read it.

xoxoxo

moonwatcher

moonwatcher

Postby nicoles » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:00 pm

Oh I am so glad to hear that, Moonwatcher! And I did not know the factoid. Speaking of Antarctica, I loved this movie, and I am looking forward to seeing this one, especially after I read the article about the family in the Tiaga that was cut off from society for 40 years.

I mentioned Grayson to my Dad, lover of all things books, and he is sending me a copy - I'll let you know when I read it!~ I read the kindle sample last night and I am hooked, so I read the sample of her other book, too.

My Journal
nicoles

Postby nicoles » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:01 pm

Thought for the day:

We can let the circumstances of our lives harden us so that we become increasingly resentful and afraid, or we can let them soften us, and make us kinder.
We always have the choice. ♥

~ The Dalai Lama

My Journal
nicoles

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals