Psoriatic Arthritis Journal - 2.5 year Update Page 63

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Psoriatic Arthritis Journal

Postby nicoles » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:43 pm

Hey Everyone!

I have a little more time to post today - yippee! It's like a real Sunday! And I got all my supermarket shopping done before the Superbowl Madness really started, so I am not even cranky or exhausted.

Leslie - that watch and the comments on amazon are too funny! Didn't get to look at it until today, but I have been saying "It's not Rocket Surgery" every chance I get! :lol: :lol:

I thought it was weird too that the sausage and the fake mozzarella were "OK" but not the gluten or dairy, in that NYTimes article. Some friends of ours who we introduced to this WOE sent it to me and we went to their place for dinner last night. They were really surprised about the meat too, and the fake cheese.

I did really like the concept of Leaky Gut all spelled out and "creditable" right there for those educated folks who read the Times to see, instead of it being some sort of sketchy new-agey scam concept. Stories like your friends son's experience are what made me believe it enough to test it out, even thought my M.D. pretty much made fun of me for bringing it up. Good for her Fierce Mama Tiger-ness!

Moonwatcher, the felon turned playwright is probably my fave too. It got me early with the: ' "Use a knife!" they said' :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, Joseph Encinia is amazing! And really, really nice. (He's a Leo, btw, and a very natural and generous teacher) I have a strange relationship with the idea of a Yoga Competition, too, but there is no denying that Bikram Yoga can work wonders and is the perfect practice for many people, so who am I to judge how it is done, right?

I have met more than a few people with RA or PsA or Lupus or other AI diseases who were "cured" by regular Bikram Practice. By cured I mean as cured as we are by diet - it only lasts as long as the yoga (or diet) is maintained. But still, very promising!

Joseph found it cured him and he wanted to teach, but could not afford the training ($10,000!!!), so he set up something like a kickstart campaign for himself and got the funding to teach! Very enterprising guy. I wish him all good things, he is so generous and has been through so much.

It is the original "Hot Yoga," started by the very flamboyant Bikram Choudhury* and it is supposed to detox the liver and kidneys and lymph and adrenals. Very vigorous and challenging, but I rather like it. A new hot yoga place just opened up walking distance from us and they have a very afforadble special ($20 for 30 days of unlimited yoga classes) and I have been thinking of trying it out again.

Debbie -that banana one comes on my FB feed all the time, too! :lol: everyone drives poorly according to your husband, stressed or not! :lol: In all honestly, the same is true for my DH, he just gets worse when he is stressed! And I join him, instead of rolling my eyes....

Eri - I cannot for the LIFE of me imagine giving a toddler mtx, either!!!! So sad that it happens, but at least the article was generally hopeful, instead of the other way around, as they so often seem to be.

And it was in the NY TIMES!!! I love that. People, the word is getting out. For reals.

*(an Aquarius, which I only know because I am a savant about remembering people's birthday's and signs. I don't even mean to, it is just like remembering their names for me. :lol: Tell me your birthday once and it is there forever. I wish this were true for History or Physics, but it ain't :lol: )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In other news, I have been doing very well, although DH has been burning the candle at both ends and not sleeping well, so he is under the weather today. At least it isn't both of us! I have been very careful about sleeping enough, resting and stretching as well as my eating, and it has been very successful.

We went to friends last night for dinner and watched The Queen of Versailles, a documentary about a wealthy family who were building the biggest home in America, based on the Palace of Versailles, but lost their huge fortune from timeshares after the 2008 crash. What a crazy story!

I had also finished a portrait of them that I delivered, which they loved, so that was really nice! It was just great to have a relaxed evening to remember who we really are underneath our current stressful situation. Tonight I am dropping off another portrait I did for another friend and her fiance, so that should be fun, too.

What I really want to do soon is go to a comedy club. they are all over LA, and pretty cheap too, and laughing is the best thing ever. Has anyone ever heard of this? Seems odd, but I am warming to the idea lately...Oh, and for happies...PUPPY CAM!!! (although they are just sleeping right now)

Happy Sunday!

Nicole
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby nicoles » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:35 pm

This is a very interesting thing.

My Journal
nicoles

Postby eri » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:49 pm

^^ Yep, that is odd. I can laugh at the house. :lol: :cool: :lol:
eri

Postby Lesliec1 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:32 am

nicoles wrote:I had also finished a portrait of them that I delivered, which they loved, so that was really nice!

Best feeling ever!! I've made a couple people cry. It can make my whole week, even if the painting wasn't my fav.

I love comedy clubs. It's my very very fav thing to do! Unfortunately, at the moment I associate them with good drinks and bad food. As soon as I'm "over that" I will go back. Let me know if you see anyone particularly great. Over the years I've kind of lost track with which comedians are the best. It really helps to know! My fav live show ever was Greg Giraldo but he died. So sad. I adore Brian Regan too though he got so big that he mostly plays very big venues now - so that's not as fun.
Lesliec1

Postby moonwatcher » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:32 am

hi nicole,

Just wanted to stop in and say YES!! I have heard of laughter yoga!! It's wonderful! (I try to smile the whole time I'm doing my asanas, and it really helps.) A friend of mine who's now a buddhist monk had a community radio show here and he did a whole show on yoga laughter. He is also a former actor and has a great voice and his laugh on the radio is one I will never forget.

And yes to all you say about Joseph Encinia, competition and hot yoga. With the body temperature regulation issues MS brings, even though they are noticably improved eating this way, I doubt Bikram is the way for me to go. But never say never I guess, because life is long, especially so if we keep eating this way and don't walk in front of buses!! :lol: :lol: it's very wonderful that how the Bikram yoga helps so many people.

And fun the founder is an Aquarius! You are funny about birthdays. I don't always remember the day, but if I've seen someone's chart, I remember the shape of it. So that gets me in the ball park. :lol: :lol:

Comedy clubs, laughter yoga, however you do it it's great to laugh and love to. I am never shy of inspiration since I laugh at myself so much. That helps everything!!

By the way, so neat you and Leslie both paint.

xoxo

moonwatcher
Please join me at my new blog Plant-Based Slow Motion Miracle

http://fatfreevegan.com/slowmiracle/

Or visit my journal, Moonwatcher's Slow Motion Miracle, on this site. Before and after pictures on page 4.
moonwatcher

Postby nicoles » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:54 pm

Ever wondered why our immune systems just go crazy and start attacking us? Well, my answer is, "Go home, evolution, you're drunk."

My Journal
nicoles

Postby moonwatcher » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:03 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

more laughter yoga therapy!!

xoxoxo

Or visit my journal, Moonwatcher's Slow Motion Miracle, on this site. Before and after pictures on page 4.
moonwatcher

Postby Lesliec1 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:30 pm

Blobfish! Those animals are awesome.
Lesliec1

Postby moonwatcher » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:53 pm

HI nicole,

I posted something in my journal here especially for you and eri after reading your conversation in her journal about burning soup. I hope it makes you laugh!!

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=31193&start=300

xoxox

moonwatcher

moonwatcher

Postby lmggallagher » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:54 pm

Hi Nicole:

I have finally caught up with you after being away so long! Lots of reading over here and some really interesting topics too. One thing I can count on is the eccletic nature of it all. Yay - we are on sea critters now, hehehe.

Oh pass me your tumeric pills - I am detoxing the antibiotics and I have a KILLER headache. It gets worse and worse each day and the pills are 2 days behind me! I bet the unexplainable acne (like Debbie's) is around the corner too......sigh.....

lmggallagher

Postby lmggallagher » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:31 pm

Nicole:

Weirdness - the terrible headache kept me awake all night. didn't you have one too that did that. I used to sleep through migraines - this has never happened before. It's a weird thing too - it feels like brain freeze more than anything, I have major chills and a temp of 96, huh? Plus, my gums are terribly sore and my tongue even feels weird. I have terrible tummy problems going on too. Oh and did I mention I can feel each individual lymph node in my body and they are screaming. Pretty much it feels like my time for the glue factory is now - though that is an awful way to put it - that's how bad this all feels.

So the reason I am seriously whining on your page is that I don't know if some of this it the tertiary phase of the flu, some of it is detox from antibiotics or bad food choices (gluten) or what the heck is going on. Though the fibro flare symptoms that are simultaneously with me are easily teased out of the rest of this mess. Anyway, what ever does detox feel like? Can you tell me???

lmggallagher

Postby nicoles » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:28 am

Oh, Michelle, that sounds so horrible!

I have had headaches where I could not sleep recently, once quite recently after I was sick sick, but also a few other times right before a "detox" period.

Detox periods for me have been like this: Headaches, extreme fatigue, brain fog, joint pain, general uptick in pain and and all-over body tenderness and sensitivity. I have also had chills, mild* fevers, swollen glands, digestive upsets (tummy boiling and burning, sharp pains in digestive tract), rashes, uveitis, coated tongue, bad breath and body odor, weird smelling urine, constipation or the opposite and itchiness.

I have had low body temperatures, too, but not below 97 that I know of.

Michelle, I definitely hope that whatever is going on for you, whether it is detox, tertiary flu stuff, coming off antibiotics or a combination, ends very soon! Please keep us updated on how you are, and really, truly take very good care of yourself!

XOXOXO

Nicole

*I accidentally typed "milf fevers" first, which I corrected, but then thought was too funny not to at least add here. MILF Fever! Whoo Hoo!

My Journal
nicoles

Postby nicoles » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:54 am

In other news...Interesting podcast on how much treatment doctors would choose at the end of their life if they had severe dementia or were otherwise compromised.

Also - this is too cute!

Plus a bit of whimsy Or maybe a bit of wtf?

Anyway, I have been busy busy busy. No jobs yet for DH, but he keeps on husltin', as do I!

Happy Thursday!*

*D'Oh! Wednesday I mean. Yikes :lol:
Last edited by nicoles on Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My Journal
nicoles

Postby moonwatcher » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:06 am

I have to get up off this chair now, nicole, but will come back later and take a peek at these. Sending both you and your DH some job time glitter!! (They make it at the same gossamer factory as the sleepy-time glitter, I hear.) :)

lots of love and to be continued. . .

and oh how you made me laugh with your response to my spoon!!

moonwatcher

moonwatcher

Postby eri » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:26 pm

I can't believe that shopping cart book is for real. i need to write a flippin' book! :lol:
eri

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals