MWL Broccoli & Cheese Soup. Make it now!

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby Ruth » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:02 am

Cool! Congratulations Kai.
It's what's for lunch... I can't wait.
Ruth

Postby fulenn » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:59 am

I just made it for lunch. My spouse said it smells like walking into my mother's house. Yumm! I only used 1/4 cup of the yeast, but think I will try the whole 1/2 cup next time.

Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby Ruth » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:20 pm

I made it for lunch. My husband and I loved it-we ate 2 bowls each. I even blogged about it on my blog. Here's the link:

http://ruthsvegetablesoup.blogspot.com/ ... -good.html
Ruth

Way to go Kai!

Postby auntemmy » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:13 am

I am making this today, using leftover white bean soup that I made on Sunday. The soup has celery, onion and carrots in it. I'll let you know how it turns out. If it's good it'll give me another day of soup with a switch up in flavor. This is by far one of my very favorite recipes. I still say it's good enough to be illegal....
~Emmy

What's taters, precious?
Po-ta-toes? Boil 'em. mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew?
auntemmy

Great As A Topping, Too!

Postby nelliec » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:52 am

I made this today, but used a whole carton of Imagine Low Sodium vegetable broth and also used what are probably medium sized potatoes instead of small. I still used the 1 can of Great Northern beans, though, and a little extra garlic. I left out the broccoli, and plan to use the remaining ingredients as a sauce/topping for meals. That's cause my lunch & supper usually consist of a starch (brown rice, potatoes, etc.) with some type of frozen veggies (I like the southwestern/Mexican that have broccoli, corn, onions, peppers, sometimes beans) on top of the starch and then add a topping over everything. I also think I may add a little mustard to the next batch. Oh, and I left out the salt, since I try to keep my diet very low sodium.

The experiment was very good, and I really thank you, Kai, for posting this.

NellieC
nelliec

Postby Chrmann » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:06 pm

I do not like nutritional yeast very much. But, I made this last year for my Grandaughter when she was sick and she loved it. So, did I. She is a very picky eater and found this to taste real good. So, you might want to try it.

Broccoli and Rice Cheeseless Soup
(serves 4 to 6 people)

1 medium potato, peeled and chopped
2 carrots, sliced
1 teaspoon onion powder or 1 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon Mrs. dash garlic/herb seasoning
12 oz. Mori-Nu lite silken tofu
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1 cup Westsoy unsweetened organic soymilk
3 cups chopped frozen brocoli, cooked
2 cups cooked brown rice
1/2 teaspoon dill weed, optional

Cheese mixture: Boil the potatoes, carrots and onion powder or onions in a saucepan with 1 cup of water. I used my pressure cooker and pressure the ingredients for 8 minutes. Puree the tofu with soymilk, nutritional yeast and Mrs. dash seasoning. Add the cooked vegetables w/all of the water from the pressure cooker. Puree.

Add all together: the cooked brocoli, rice and tofu/veggie mixture (and dill weed) in a large saucepan. Heat for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.

Note: I didn't use all of the cheese mixture with the brocoli and cheese mixture. I had about 1 cup left over. I think this cheese mixture would taste good on macaroni for "cheeseless macaroni". I loved it!
Chrmann

Previous

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning