MWL Broccoli & Cheese Soup. Make it now!

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby hatshepsut » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:40 am

Thank you for posting this recipe. I made the soup for our breakfast this morning (we enjoy soups for breakfast) and it was great. You guys got me worried about the nutritional yeast in the soup, so I only used 2 heaping tablespoon's of it.

Thanks, again.

Hatshepsut
hatshepsut

Wow-ee and Yoo-hoo for Kai!!

Postby auntemmy » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:12 pm

I made this for lunch today, it is amazingly good!! Used all ingredients in the amount from your recipe - not too much NYF's at all but a bit salty for my taste. Next time I will reduce salt to 3/4 teaspoon and add 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper to the mix. After everything was blended in the food processor I then pulsed in the broccoli, just a few pulses to make the bits a little smaller, and heated it through. My DH is wild about it, and I waited until after he ate it to tell him what it was made from. He was surprised :shock: This soup will pass muster with vegans, vegetarians and meat eaters, it is that good. Frankly, Kai it almost seems illegal. :D BIG Thank you!
~Emmy

What's taters, precious?
Po-ta-toes? Boil 'em. mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew?
auntemmy

Postby Quiver0f10 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:26 pm

I have this cooking again today. It's definitely one of our favorites!
Jean
Quiver0f10

Postby Mandy_Sav » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:08 am

I want to make this for dinner tonight, but I don't think I will be able to find great northern beans. What are they exactly? And are there any good substitutes?
Mandy
Mandy_Sav

Postby slugmom » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:11 am

Great Northern beans are mild in flavor and very light 'white' (light brown/beige) beans, you can usually find them canned, jarred (one of the few I've seen in jars!) or dry and bagged. If you can't find them, navy beans would be a good substitute, or, if you can't find those, either, cannellini beans (Italian white kidney beans) would also work. :)
- Kim

slugmom

Color it orange

Postby hatshepsut » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:02 am

By the way, when I made this wonderful soup I did add a large carrot to the broth. When the vegetables were pureed, my soup had a pretty orange color which, at least psychologically, enhanced the "cheese" aspect of this soup.

Hatshepsut
Last edited by hatshepsut on Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hatshepsut

Postby Mandy_Sav » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:26 am

Thanks Kim! I ended up using white kidney beans, because those were the only white beans the store I was at had. The soup was just OK for me. I'm hoping it is better the 2nd day now that the flavours have had a chance to blend in the fridge.
Mandy
Mandy_Sav

Postby Kai » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:01 pm

I like to eat lots of this soup so for the last few weeks I've been making this without the beans and it's just as good. Then I can save my bean rations for something else.
Kai

Postby Health~N~Happiness » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:35 pm

After reading all the posts I am convinced I must try this. I should be able to get the nutritional yeast on Tuesday. I'll post my results after I make it. Thanks for the recipe Kai.

Health~N~Happiness
Health~N~Happiness

JAN 2009 ~ 117 miles walked (Outside)
Feb 2009 ~ 100 miles walked (Outside)
March Goal 110 miles
Health~N~Happiness

Postby Laurie Crittenden » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:35 pm

The soups all sound good to me. Even though it is in the 70's here right now, I guess winter time just sounds like soup to me.

I get my Nut yeast from Whole Foods bulk and it tastes really cheezy to me. Maybe you just have to try some different brands. Or, maybe it is just not for you.

When I am really tired, I even mix a spoonful in water and drink it. Major pick-me-up from the B Vitamines in it. Beats those energy drinks that you don't know exactly what all is in there.

I use it for a faux chicken broth that we love inplace of actual chicken broth: from http://heart.kumu.org/chickn.html

Chick'n Style Seasoning
When a recipe calls for vegetable or chick'n broth
use this seasoning mixed with water instead

1 1/3 C nutritional yeast flakes
3 T onion powder
2¼ t garlic powder
1 T salt
1 t celery seed - Used Savory instead
3 T Italian seasoning (or 1½ T oregano + 1½ T basil)
2 T parsley, dried

Put all ingredients, except parsley in a blender and make a fine powder. Stir in parsley. Store in airtight container. (I never blend it)

Making this yourself is much less expensive than buying vegetarian chicken broth. You'll find it tastes better and has much less salt.

You can use this seasoning to make a quick chicken-like stock out of water when you have no veggie stock on hand. Excellent for flavoring rice and as a soup base.

36 - 1 T servings, each: Calories 21, Fat .049 g. (2% cff), Carbohydrate 2.85 g, Protein 2.16

Healing Heart Hint
To make a very simple, easy, and tasty gravy, combine: 1 T Chik'n Style Seasoning, 1½ cups water and 2 t miso. Just before serving, blend 1- 2 T corn starch or potato starch in a ¼ C water and add to gravy to thicken over medium heat until you reach desired thickness.

It's not Dinner - It's not Lunch
It's Inbetween You Want to Munch
Laurie Crittenden

Postby mairead11 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:57 pm

Kai—thanks for posting this recipe. I was snowed in today, and made sure I would have the ingredients on hand to make. And I just devoured a bowl of it! It was so incredibly delicious, I would never have guessed it was MWL approved. Very psyched about that. It's going on my short list of recipes for sure.
Thanks again!
Mairead :-D
mairead11

Postby Felini » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:25 pm

I too did not like nutritional yeast at first taste. But I really like it now. I made the recipe as written and I loved it. I thought a little lemon juice would brighten it up just a touch....I will try with leftovers.

Great base for dozens of different soups.

Thank you. Oh, I use Bob's Red Mill Yeast.

Felini

"I know I can, I know You can!"
Felini

Postby Ruth » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:11 pm

Mmm-mmmm! This sounds great--right up my alley.
Ruth

Postby DeAnn » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:17 am

Kai-
Looks like your recipe made it to the McDougall Newsletter - congrats!!
DeAnn
Image[/quote]
DeAnn

woo-wooo

Postby ncyg46 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:56 am

yup it made it :D :lol: congrats!
ncyg46

PreviousNext

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning