Cabernet Roasted Red Potatoes with Vegetables

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby SactoBob » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:17 pm

This is a recipe developed by my wife, Farley. It tastes great

In a large bowl mix the following:

2 lbs Red potatoes chopped
2 Large portobello mushrooms chopped
1 Red onion chopped
1 Yellow or orange bell pepper chopped
1 Can of low sodium Red Kidney Beans rinsed and drained

All the veggies to be chopped in large bite-sized pieces

3 cloves of minced garlic
1 TBS each of dried ground basil and thyme or a little more if desired
ground pepper to taste

Add about 1/2 c of Cabernet and toss (no oil/no salt vegetable broth works also)
Place in a large roasting dish with high sides
Roast in oven at 375 and cook for at least 60 minutes
About half-way through roasting check to see if it's drying out...if so add more wine.

Serve on bed of brown rice and chopped greens
Last edited by SactoBob on Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SactoBob

Re: Cabernet Roasted Red Potatoes with Vegetables

Postby frozenveg » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:51 pm

Oh Bob, this sounds fabulous! We are flying home to an empty kitchen tomorrow, and I think this will be the basis for my quickie shopping list--have to check on our Cabernet, and send DH to the Oaken Keg!!
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby SactoBob » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:56 pm

Don't worry about Cabernet. Any red wine will do. LOL, I forgot that she even used red wine in that recipe - another processing point for me? But you could use water. The wine cooks off and you can't even taste it.

But the recipe is really delicious - one of my favorites. And it keeps and reheats well. She will also add or substitute whatever veggies are in season. Everything tastes great cooked this way. The roasting dish can be hard to clean because no oil is used.
SactoBob

Postby merriweather » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:21 pm

Reynolds makes these bags to roast in. They also have ones to line crock pots. My question is , Are they safe? I am not sure what kind of plastic it is. It is made for the oven, not for the microwave.
Love is never wasted
merriweather

Postby SactoBob » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:34 pm

Why not post the question to Jeff. I would like to know too. I am skeptical about anything that sounds like plastic, but if it were known to be safe . . . we probably still wouldn't use it. But maybe in a pinch . . .
SactoBob

Postby nomikins » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:35 am

Line the pans with parchment paper for easier cleanup. I don't cook anything in plastic.
nomikins

Postby Letha.. » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:12 am

Hi SactoBob,
I got a very similar recipe to this from your wife Gabagirl’s Recipe Journal. I made it and it was very good. I even put it on my blog with photos. :)

http://mwlfood.wordpress.com/2009/02/15 ... d-veggies/

Letha
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
Carl Sagan
Letha..

Postby SactoBob » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:53 am

Parchment paper sounds better to me than plastic. I am going to mention that to Farley. I'm glad you liked the recipe, Letha. Now that I have figured out how to post pics, I'll try to get one here the next time we prepare it. It is one of my favorites, so it shouldn't be long.
SactoBob

Postby ETeSelle » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:29 am

Mmmmmm. This is one I'm printing out!
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby luvnveggies » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:16 pm

Thank you for posting this, Bob. I made it tonight and I love it. Plenty of leftovers, as well. I will say, it did end up taking about an hour and a half to finally cook. I don't know if I cut the potatoes too big or if my oven is off, probably, a combination of both, lol. Either way, it was wonderful. I ate it just as you said, over rice with greens on the side. It made the house smell great, too.
Danielle

luvnveggies

Postby SactoBob » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:57 pm

Danielle,
Glad you liked it. And other than timing, there isn't much danger in cooking too long. Everything just gets crisper and IMO tastier. I hope the leftovers are good. If you like this recipe, my wife used to post here in the recipe section under the name gabagirl. She had a recipe journal you could see here. viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6673 I think everything in there is great.
SactoBob

Postby luvnveggies » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:32 pm

Thank you, again, Bob. I will, definitely, check out your wife's recipes. As the only one in my family following this plan, I need all the help I can get, lol.
Danielle

luvnveggies

Postby SactoBob » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:06 pm

Here is a picture of the dish before roasting.
SactoBob

Postby Rob » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:56 am

Bob - This looks delicious! I showed my wife the recipe and we're planning to have it for dinner this evening. A couple questions, however:

1. Have you ever tried the recipe with white cooking wine? We don't consume alcoholic beverages and consequently don't keep any wine around the house other than a small bottle of white cooking wine that a few of Mary's recipes call for. We had a bottle of red cooking wine that had been around (opened) for a few years and I can't remember the last time we used it - so I pitched it.

2. Have you every tried preparing this dish in the crock pot? We've been preparing potatoes and squash in the crop pot without adding any liquid and they come out great. I'm not so sure how will come out with adding the liquid from the cooking wine.

Thanks!
Rob

Postby SactoBob » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:06 am

Rob,
Farley always makes it the same way, but I don't see why your ideas wouldn't work. I think you could even use water instead of wine. The idea is to just have liquid in there.

You could try a crock pot, but I would think it would be a lot different. Who knows, maybe it would be a great idea. Let us know.

For crockpot, Farley's Dal dish, in her recipe journal, if fantastic. She also made a bean curry dish the other day that I want her to write down.
SactoBob

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning