Extended breastfeeding and return of fertility

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Extended breastfeeding and return of fertility

Postby tcat » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:48 am

Hi, I was wondering if there were any women on here who have breastfed for 2 years or more while eating McDougall. My son is 25 months and we are still nursing but I am getting worried about the fact that I haven't gotten my first postpartum period yet. I know nursing delays it and it's different for every woman but I was just looking to hear some other experiences with eating this way and nursing to assure me that it's normal-ish. I am down 15 pounds from my pre-pregnancy weight but it is a normal BMI for my height so I'm just making sure it's not causing a problem. I don't want my children to be that far apart in age and we are ready to get pregnant again now but I don't want to wean my current little one.
tcat

Re: Extended breastfeeding and return of fertility

Postby Jenna » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:39 pm

I have very long breastfeeding amenorrhea, also. With my first, I was pumping a ton of extra milk while working, and I got my period back when I equalized my supply to my 1-yo's demand. But with my 2nd and 3rd, I didn't get my period back until 6 weeks after weaning completely. With my 3rd, I was down to 1 feeding per day for a month or so, and I still didn't get my period back until 6 weeks after giving up the last feeding.

Anyway, you are totally normal, and many women would love to have an easy way to space out their kids naturally. But if you want to get your period back, there are things you can do to encourage it. http://kellymom.com/ages/older-infant/fertility/ This is a pretty good article on how you might encourage your period to come back without weaning entirely. But like I said, with my second two, there was nothing I could do to get my period back until I weaned completely.

Good luck,
Jenna :)
Jenna

Re: Extended breastfeeding and return of fertility

Postby zilly84 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:28 pm

My period came back around 21 months postpartum. I'd bet it will return soon when your child starts to nurse a little less frequently.
zilly84

Return to Family and Children