Not messy toddler snacks

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Not messy toddler snacks

Postby edamama » Mon May 02, 2011 6:38 am

I'm looking for the least-offensive snack for my toddler to have that doesn't include dried fruit and of course, dairy. It seems that goldfish crackers are so popular because kids love them and they aren't nearly as messy as say, cut up fruit or even frozen pea or beans. They are full of bad ingredients and even the Annie's version contains milk, so we obviously want to avoid that.

Besides cheerioes, what other easy finger-food snacks to do you use? Specifically, what brands of crackers have you found?

We do lots of fruit and other high-fiber items for snacks, but my toddler sometimes needs less fiber and more high calorie density snacks.
edamama

Re: Not messy toddler snacks

Postby lfwfv » Mon May 02, 2011 7:01 am

What about brown rice crackers?

Target's Archer Farms brand also has bags of fruit chews which are kind of like sunkist fruit snacks, except they are only made from fruit purees, juice, and real fruit. They have no oil, binders etc..

In terms of lower-fiber...what about dried banana chips (you could dehydrate them yourselves)...that's a lot less fibrous and stomach-irritating then, say, raisins or apricots.

I would also think 100% whole grain, dry cereals, like Barbara's Bakery shredded oats original, or Barbara's Bakery Hole 'n oats fruit juice sweetened cereal.
lfwfv

Postby chewy » Mon May 02, 2011 7:32 am

arrowhead mills puffed corn,puffed rice,puffed millet ,puffed kamut,
brown rice cakes .
chewy

Postby circle city vegan » Tue May 03, 2011 7:51 pm

You put "not messy" and toddler in the same sentence. :lol: Even the cleanest food is going to get poured out everywhere and then stepped on. Sorry to poke fun, maybe I'm just happy mine is almost 3.

Generally the smaller the portion, the less mess there will be. Cubed sweet potatoes can even be a clean snack if you cook them just a little firmer and only give out 2 or 3 at a time. It's ok to give the same dense starch over and over. If the beans are accepted, give them out as often as they'll eat them but only 2 or 3 at a time.

Also toddlers really should be sitting down when they eat because they like to choke on food frequently. Sitting down helps minimize that as well as making them more noticeable to you when they are in danger.

I just don't like crackers in general. There isn't much good about them. They're not a whole grain. They say made with whole grain which says to me that they take a whole grain and wave it over the vat they're processing the crackers with. They often have tons of salt or sugar in them.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wP3S3L8/]
[/url]

Vigilance requires effort until it does not require any effort.
circle city vegan

Postby dragana » Sun May 08, 2011 8:03 am

I found Nature Valley organic corn puffs and I was over the moon. My 10 month old still finds a way to stick it in the wholes in her baby chair. So funny. But yes as someone else suggested, corn puffs, kamut puffs, plain rice cakes, little cubes of tofu are not that messy, grapes, blueberries cut in half, etc...
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w8vHiYa/]
[/url]

May 12, 2011: 40/34/40
dragana

Return to Family and Children