Potty training

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Potty training

Postby circle city vegan » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:30 pm

Trick her into wanting to go. Buy a nice toy that she would like and wrap it up really pretty. Put it up somewhere really high where she can see it but not get to it. Do all this when she isn't around. Tell her that when she is dry for 15 days she can have the special "big girl present". Make a paper chain with 15 links that you can tear off every day she makes it. When she earns her gift, have a special desert and lots of fanfair, like a birthday party.

Your present can be a carpet cleaner.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wP3S3L8/]
[/url]

Vigilance requires effort until it does not require any effort.
circle city vegan

Postby merriweather » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:50 pm

I am really interested if any one has success with this. My own experience was so easy I am embarrassed. One child just decided at 2 yr. 1 mo that she wanted to use the potty. That was it.
But my granddaughter is really having a struggle. She will turn 4 soon. Thing is she was born with a problem with her bladder. Has been on antibiotics all her life :eek: I know???
Any way she almost died at a few weeks due to intense infection. Something about how the tubes are made. And there is some improvement at the last checkup.
Any way we figure she does not feel things like a little tingle, but more pain, or possibly numbness.
I am making her little gifts. I have a scad of demo cups. So I am putting a tiny gift, sticker etc in each. Glueing a circle of paper over it, and she will get one at each successful use. So far she has not even made it once :eek:
Love is never wasted
merriweather

Postby circle city vegan » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:36 pm

I like putting on lots of potty videos and putting the child on a potty chair right in front of the tv all the while giving them lots of lemonade and salty crackers. They can't help but go and then they start to associate the feeling with the act. Merriweather, your granddaughter might not physically be able to be trained yet. Does she stay dry for 2 hours at a time anytime during the day? My disabled daughter was potty trained using the schedule method where she was brought to the toilet on the hour every hour of the day. After she got better we stretched it out to two hours. It was tough but she was mostly trained (enough for preschool) by 3.
[/url]

circle city vegan

Postby merriweather » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:11 pm

Thanks circle. She is in Tenn, I am in Ca, so I will have to ask her mom how long she can go.
So far we are afraid she is unaware of even feeling wet. She is #3 of four. I think maybe this is a stressful time anyway. Baby is 7wks old. Daddy just left for Iraq. So I am glad Mommy is not pushing it too much.
I mean her==mommy==plate is pretty full right now.
Love is never wasted
merriweather

Postby circle city vegan » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:46 am

Merriweather, That does sound like the wrong time to go for the training. Plus it's cold out now.

Debbie, my #5 baby is almost 30 months and I fear he'll be my hardest case yet. I say that because he hides out to poop. I never had a kid that would do that so I think he'll be really hard to train. He just came to me this morning letting me know he peed into a toy and dumped it into the big toilet. Ugh! At least it's not forgotten on the floor. Just when you start feeling like an expert, you get a change up in the game.
[/url]

circle city vegan

Postby merriweather » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:50 am

This weekend I did a demo that was sponcer by Kimberly Clark. So lots of coupons, and this book to hand out.
It was in English and Spanish, and frankly I just kept thinking of all the paper wasted.
But there was a section on potty training==and coupons for pull ups and Huggies. Well, the point made was to know your kid, and play to their strengths.
But :roll: The idea if your kid likes people?? Yeah, have a potty party. Invite all their little friends over, with their potties. And have the kids sit around and , well, use them. Sorry, just not sure about that idea.
I had one who hid to do his. Had to be alone I guess.
Four kids, four different training experiences.
Love is never wasted
merriweather

Return to Family and Children