12 year old with Crohn's disease

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

12 year old with Crohn's disease

Postby 2HIMBPRAISE » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:20 pm

My 12 year old son has Crohn's disease. He was diagnosed about 2 years ago. Although he is currently on 2 medications, Pentasa and Mercaptopurine (6MP), which seem to be controlling the inflammation well, I am also aware of the toxicity and increase risk of cancer with at least one of these drugs. My husband has spoken with a GI surgeon who knew several people who were able to control the inflammation and get off pharmaceutical medications by going on a vegan diet, reducing sugar, and adding Aloe Vera juice. We are currently making a transition to a vegan diet (not doing the other 2 things yet though I am trying to be more aware of how much sugar he's consuming). We were already vegetarians, so it is just a matter of taking dairy and eggs out now, but that has still been quite a transition and learning curve for me (the mom who does the cooking). I have four questions / concerns: 1. What do you think of the above approach? 2. Do you know of others who have had success using dietary means to control the inflammation of Crohn's disease? 3. The information that I've seen on the internet suggests that Aloe Vera is a plant source of vitamin B12. Is this true? 4. My son is roughly 5 feet tall and 60 pounds. His doctor wants him to gain weight. Vegan diets are naturally quite low in fat. How can I ensure that he doesn't lose weight and actually help him gain weight on a vegan diet?
2HIMBPRAISE
2HIMBPRAISE

Re: 12 year old with Crohn's disease

Postby 2HIMBPRAISE » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:56 am

Thank you for the information and encouragement, Debbie. I saw those links on other posts and both provide very useful information. I printed that second article and gave it to my husband who also found it helpful and he plans to take it with him to the appointment with our son's nutrionist. I'm glad to hear it helped in your mom's case. It is difficult to figure out how to make things without dairy products or eggs but there's a wealth of cookbooks, including the McDougall's "Quick and Easy" cookbook, that have made it easier.
Thanks again.
2HIMBPRAISE

You can get lots of recipes from

Postby veggiecat » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:01 am

http://www.fatfreevegan.com also available as a blog.Good luck with the Crohn's.
Best wishes,Cat
veggiecat

Postby 2HIMBPRAISE » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:44 pm

Cat,
Thanks for the link. It looks like a good resource.
2HIMBPRAISE
2HIMBPRAISE

Postby lamazemama » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:19 am

Many years ago I had a boyfriend with Crohn's disease. The diet he followed was very lowfat (although he did still eat white meat).

Has your GI doc given any feedback on research done on Crohn's and diet?
Lisa, mom of 3 great boys
lamazemama

Postby Faith in DC » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:24 am

Oh man, I just tried to search for you one of the best stories for Crohn's that I ever witnessed. Before McDougall started his board here, he was on Vegsource. Way back at the beginning was a new person named LoriM. Not long after she joined her daughter aged 10 I believe was rushed to the hospital in pain. They released her finally but still ran tests. Finally the diagnose was crohn's.

LoriM got serious about McDougalling, and researched and researched. The doctor's weren't any help. The daughter got better on McD diet, and it seems to me once she went to a birthday party and had pizza. She didn't tell her mother. The girl came home in the middle of night sick and finally told her Mother what she ate.

The girl matured into a beautiful and healthy older teen the last I saw and that was a long time ago. I wish I could find the thread as LoriM's posts were very emotional when she spoke of her daughter.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby 2HIMBPRAISE » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:16 pm

Thanks Lisa and Faith,

The doctor hasn't really said anything about diet other than my son needs to gain weight. They have a dietician/nutritionist on staff that the doctor has referred us to. My husband took our son this past week to the nutritionist and, to my surprise, she was actually VERY supportive of a vegan diet as long as my son was eating enough to get the calories and nutritional balance that he needs (that's the hard part). He's actually significantly underweight right now. I plan to discuss this more with the doctor at our next visit. The nutritionist suggested adding coconut oil to add more calories to what he's eating. Other than that, a wide variety of plant foods is the name of the game for nutrition (he also takes vitamin and mineral supplements though).

I'm glad to hear that this diet worked well for another child. That is very encouraging to me. It has been rather difficult for my son; he has had to give up a lot of favorite foods, although we did discover that pizza without the cheese is actually quite good. There is only one brand and flavor of soy yogurt that he likes (he takes his medication with yogurt), so that has been a bit of a bummer. Daiya makes a shredded cheddar cheese substitute that he likes o.k on his bean and "cheese" burritos. I'm so glad we have a Whole Foods Market close by; some of these items I can't find anywhere else!

Thank you so much for the support and feedback. I appreciate it.
2HIMBPRAISE
2HIMBPRAISE

Postby Steve » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:59 am

A couple of links,

Dr. McDougall's most recent book is called Digestive Tune-up. http://www.drmcdougall.com/store_dt.html

Also, here is the hot topics link.

http://www.drmcdougall.com/med_hot_bowelproblems.html

Steve
Steve

Return to Family and Children