How do you handle different?

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: How do you handle different?

Postby blessedmomof3 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:50 pm

Hi Deb,

Boy have I been through such similiar situations!! I've been out with MIL too many times to count when she would ask if the kids could have "butter" on their bread and when we politely remind her "no" she rolls her eyes and sighs heavily. We homeschool also so she already thinks we are completely nuts. But over the years she's actually backed off and doesn't do it AS MUCH. Although, she still has her moments.

One time after much frustration with her, I typed up a list of exactly what the kids could and could not have. I portrayed it as though I was trying to help her out. I've also given her resources (which I'm sure she's never read) but it at least lets her know that we're not doing this just because but for REAL reasons.

It's really hard to find anything to eat at Chili's. I believe the black bean patty has dairy in it. Just know that you're not alone! It can be very frustrating dealing with family members.

Kelli
blessedmomof3

Re: How do you handle different?

Postby jamietwo » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:25 pm

Debbie, I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Its hard when family (and friends) don't support our choices.

We are so different we don't even eat out. :shock: Plant based is hard enough without omitting added-oils, and in our case, gluten and soy and corn - too many opportunities for cross contamination. I dare say most of my friends think I'm being unrealistic, and some think "being different" is something much worse than I think it is! :lol: We live far away from family so we don't have the same issues you have, but any time we go anywhere we always bring our own food.

I would much rather achieve and maintain health through healthy eating than drugs. I hate it when doctors tell their severely allergic patients to not be too extreme, to just carry an epi pen. I hate it when doctors tell diabetic patients to eat whatever they want, to just use plenty of insulin. I hate it when (fill in the blank). I DO think it matters what we put in our bodies, far more than modern medicine and the population at large will acknowledge or recognize.

:oops: Where's the soapbox emoticon? :-P
Jamie
jamietwo

Return to Family and Children