Pregnany Question

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Pregnany Question

Postby pretzel » Thu May 10, 2012 9:19 pm

I am not currently pregnant but my husband and I are considering it.

I am wondering if it is normal for women's bodies to get so disfigured after a pregnancy? What I mean is having trouble with bladder control, having sagging skin and a "moms apron."

I read that it comes down to collagen in the skin, but does anything have to do with what people are eating? Or what size they start their pregnancy at?

Any advice would be appreciated, and I really hope this came off as just a question and not offensive. It can be hard to figure out how to ask questions like this. Thank you everyone.
pretzel

Re: Pregnany Question

Postby topview. » Fri May 11, 2012 4:16 pm

I've had 5 babies and don't have those issues. I did have bladder control issues during my pregnancies, which quickly resolved itself when someone was no longer living on my bladder and the hormones were gone. I have no stretch marks on my tummy, though I gain weight there first now, which I didn't before children. Once I get back to my ideal weight, my current tummy will be gone. I am 38 years old and my youngest is 18 months. My

I have lost about 1/2 cup size in my breast with each nursling (once I weaned them - not during nursing). A naturopath told me that that is normal when you have no additional hormones in your diet and are not overweight. My breasts are now perky size -A's :lol:

I really think that many of the "mom" stuff issues come back to general overfeeding. My body seems to bounce back to "normal" in the time it takes to bear the child. At least that has been my experience - as long as i'm eating a diet that is right for me (McDougall works best) and getting plenty of movement in each day I'm back to normal in 9 months or so.

And yes, they are so worth it.
Melanie
Meeting the needs of 6 small people - 5 boys & a little princess
The latest boy was born at home on Sept 17, 2013
Eating right to give them the best start
topview.

Postby oregonmom » Thu May 17, 2012 7:45 pm

Those are myths spread by women who couldn't loose weight after a baby. I didn't have any if those issues. I actually weighed less than my prepregnancy weight just a few months after giving birth, but I did have a needy baby so I didn't eat much. Also, I was careful with keeping my skin soft to prevent stretch marks and stayed active so delivery and recovery were super fast. How well you take care of yourself during pregnancy really makes a difference.
oregonmom

Postby staceydarling » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:31 am

I just found out I'm pregnant - I have SO many questions about how I should be eating. I've read the newsletters regarding pregnancy but feel like I need more information. This will be my first baby - I'm very early in only a few weeks. I posted a topic to the forum "pregnancy." I'd love some guidance and support.

I'm also new to eating the McDougall way. I have RA - I wasn't a 100% there yet but now want to be! I want to do what is right for my health and my babies.

Also, did you only take B12 - no prenatal vitamin as the Dr. recommends?
staceydarling

Postby Tracy » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:49 am

I haven't had those problems either and I am expecting my 7th child in a few weeks. Although, I too have lost a lot of my breast size since nursing for so many years. I think more of it, though, is that I stay so slim naturally that there isn't much fat on my body. (thanks to McDougalling and plenty of exercise)
Feeding my seven children a low fat, plant based diet and loving it!

http://www.momasdoctor.blogspot.com
Tracy

Postby lamazemama2 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:48 pm

I have 4 boys and I have none of the above.

Exercising through pregnancy does wonders for your health AND your baby's health.

I recommend, 'Exercising Through Your Pregnancy" by Dr. Clapp.

I do have a few silvery stretch marks on my lower abdomen but I am rather proud of them. My body grew 4 healthy, strong boys! :-D
Lisa, mom of 4 great boys (10,8,4, and 1), homemaker and childbirth educator
lamazemama2

Return to Family and Children