Nonviolent Communication - anyone use it?

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Nonviolent Communication - anyone use it?

Postby HealthyMe2010 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:49 am

I've just started reading the book "Nonviolent communication" in hopes that it will help me be a better and more compassionate listener.

Has anyone read this book or gone through NVC training? Has it made a positive difference in your family life?
HealthyMe2010

Re: Nonviolent Communication - anyone use it?

Postby jld » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:23 am

I haven't read it, but I'm sure it would be helpful. Would you mind sharing what you've learned so far?
A clean life is its own reward.
jld

Postby HealthyMe2010 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:43 am

jld wrote:I haven't read it, but I'm sure it would be helpful. Would you mind sharing what you've learned so far?

LOL. Once I get past the introduction :-D

One example of how this process of communication can be used is if your child has stuff all over the floor and rather than saying "Will you pick up those dirty socks off the floor!", you would instead say something like "I see that there are socks on your bed and on the floor. It irritates me because I'd like to see more order in this house. Would you be willing to put them in the washing machine?". So basically, you communicate in a way that is non-judgemental, expresses your feeling and requests an action.

I look forward to reading more. I know theres a NVC book specifically for parents, but the general training can be applied to just about any setting.
HealthyMe2010

Postby jld » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:52 am

Sounds good, HM. Thanks for sharing that.
A clean life is its own reward.
jld

Postby HealthyMe2010 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:06 pm

I had a big reading session and got through a third of the book - this is definitely something i'll be re-reading at least twice. The concepts are deep and make sense, but I can see how they will be a challenge to master and incorporate into my life as I've been so conditioned to communicate opposite to what the book teaches.

Some of the concepts have also been real eye-openers too! Like how we don't often express our feelings properly and we end up saying what we THINK we feel like or what others think we feel like, rather than what we really FEEL. Or how we judge a situation, rather than observe it.

I can certainly see myself reading the other books in this series once I grasp the general concept.
HealthyMe2010

Return to Family and Children