A little white lie cant hurt, can it?

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: A little white lie cant hurt, can it?

Postby stirFry » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:32 am

Debbie,

Sorry to hear that and I think you probably did the right thing.

I'm glad my kid isn't old enough for these issues yet. I would be pretty upset to find out she was drinking milk every day. I would probably blame getting sick on the milk too and I'm sure all that extra sugar probably caused the behavioral problems. It's going to be tough raising a healthy kids when everyone is so okay with being sick from overindulging in bad foods.
stirFry

Postby blondie » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:18 am

I don't think you lied to her, even if she has caught some sort of stomach bug, it was probably made worse by the milk in her tummy, and she may have not caught it if she had not messed with her digestive flora by drinking milk. Glad she learned her lesson.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w/]
[/url]
[url=http://www.tickerfactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w]My Weight Chart:
Image[/url]>
311 all-time highest weight. Began McDougall plan at 300 lb. on 2/9/2011.
blondie

Postby circle city vegan » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:51 am

Whatever the reason, whatever the cause, etc. you are still the boss around here and if you believe milk is not appropriate for your child, then take steps to make sure she doesn't drink it. I took my son to the doctor and asked her for a note allowing him not to have milk at school. I deposited that note with the school office. Then just to make sure, I didn't fill out the free lunch application so he would have to have money to get the junk. Finally, I started packing lunch for the kids every day. Now my kids only get what I pack and what I feel is appropriate to eat and drink.

I think your daughter is old enough to understand that there are many many manifestations of allergy when it comes to milk. One that I didn't know about until recently was bedwetting. The milk causes the bladder to be inflamed and then not sensitive to sensations. Let her know that everyone reacts differently, some with stomach aches, ear infections, rashes, and in her case cranky behavior. You could just get gross about it too and tell her there's puss in the milk from the infected udders of the overworked and sick cows. All's fair in Love and war (against SAD).
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wP3S3L8/]
[/url]

Vigilance requires effort until it does not require any effort.
circle city vegan

Postby janluvs2heel » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:21 pm

Deb:
Are ear infections contagious? I didn't think they were. had one about a month ago? Noone else got it, so I think you could blame the milk on. Yeah, she has never had one before.
Of course pink eye certainly is. If they are laying on the cushions of the couch, be sure you do something because anyone can get pink eye. I got it from when you were around 6 I think. Then I got it later, from where I have no idea. All their bedding needs to be washed & their toys, like the pillow pets as well.
What if she was deathly allergic to milk? Like some kids have the peanut allergy. That school needs to be way more careful when they are dispensing food. Even if it is a substitute. The regular person needs to leave a list of what kids can have what.

Geesch!!!!!!!

But I am glad to hear that she thinks it is the milk. Just think of it sitting in her tummy, souring, curdling. Just the thought is making me gag. LOL

Jan
Last edited by janluvs2heel on Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
janluvs2heel

Postby somnolent » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:34 pm

I have been known to blame all kinds of illnesses on dairy, just to make a point with my own daughter. 8) One time she had a rash on her ear and I told her it was from the milk Daddy gave her. Now whenever he gives her milk, she asks me to check her ears. :oops:
somnolent

Postby blondie » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:52 pm

Did all the ear infections etc. start after your MIL fed them all yogurt while you were in the the hospital?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w/]
[/url]
[url=http://www.tickerfactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w]My Weight Chart:
Image[/url]>
311 all-time highest weight. Began McDougall plan at 300 lb. on 2/9/2011.
blondie

Postby Julia » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:24 pm

Hi Debbie,

To be honest I told the kindy that my son was allergic to milk. I didn't know how else to get them to avoid it and to get him to agree to avoiding it. The way I see it we are all somehow allergic to it, the reactions are just more extreme on some. It definitely is not made for us.

So there you go, you are not alone with the white lie thing. My son is now 8 and I am slowly explaining to him the health and ethical reasons why we don't eat milk. At some point the white lie just dissapears into we just don't do it.

I really hope you find solutions to all the sickness you have been experiencing in your family. That is worrying i am sure.

Let us know what Dr Mcdougall has to say.

BEst,
Julia
Julia

Return to Family and Children