Does exercise make low calorie food more appealing?

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Does exercise make low calorie food more appealing?

Postby Lani Muelrath » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:54 am

Apparently so, according to this study.

But apart from burning unwanted fat, dieters now have another reason to work out because scientists have discovered that physical activity makes low-calorie foods appear more appetizing.
Scans taken after volunteers jogged for an hour showed that the brain’s ‘reward centres’ lit up when they were shown images of low-fat diet foods.
But the same brain regions showed reduced activity when volunteers looked at pictures of calorie-dense fatty foods.
The findings, by a team of researchers at the University of Birmingham, suggest that exercise has the power to help change eating habits as well as shed fat.

Read more here:

http://tinyurl.com/mhrapbs

Keep eating more plants and moving your body!

Lani
Lani Muelrath

Re: Does exercise make low calorie food more appealing?

Postby schermel » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:57 am

I'll have to look for this reaction. Not sure. I do know I'm not as hungry after working out. So tend to eat less.
schermel

Postby Learning » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:30 am

I think this has always held true for me. I can’t think of many people over the course of my life that wanted to eat a steak dinner after an aggressive run. I can think of a lot of people that have told themselves they need to eat a high protein meat based meal after heavy lifting. But even after heavy lifting the last thing on my mind is a heavy meal. Whether I run or lift I still want something healthy afterwards, which equates to a per se low cal meal. To the other point, inactivity seems to foster a craving for heavier foods, calorie-dense.
My Star McDougaller story can be found here: https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... ten/ron-m/
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. This WOE saved my life and how I get to live it!
Learning

Postby Lani Muelrath » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:17 am

Learning wrote:I think this has always held true for me. I can’t think of many people over the course of my life that wanted to eat a steak dinner after an aggressive run. I can think of a lot of people that have told themselves they need to eat a high protein meat based meal after heavy lifting. But even after heavy lifting the last thing on my mind is a heavy meal. Whether I run or lift I still want something healthy afterwards, which equates to a per se low cal meal. To the other point, inactivity seems to foster a craving for heavier foods, calorie-dense.

Learning, thanks for sharing your thoughts! Healthy movement inspires healthy eating. What a pair.

Eat more plants, move your body!

Lani
Lani Muelrath

Return to Exercise and Fitness