running and exercise after hip replacement

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

running and exercise after hip replacement

Postby dteresa » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:13 am

Lani, are you aware of any restrictions on running or on using certain exercise and weight machines at the gym. After surgery a patient has to follow hip precautions but after a few months they are lifted and my doctor said I can do any exercise. However, I am seventy years old and I suspect he does not think I would do very much anyway. He is not a good communicator. Hip precautions dictate that you cannot bend your knees more than ninety degrees but with a rowing machine of course you do. One piece of equipment involves sitting on a machine with your thighs pressed tightly against pads and swivelling your hips from side to side by using the thigh muscles. Another involves sitting down and pushing against a rectangular board with your feet. Also involving using those thigh muscles and bending beyond ninety degrees. Running as opposed to bike riding involves lots of pounding on the ground. The therapists always say ask your doctor and the doctors have no idea of what is involved---they are very good at cutting and replacing though.

Have any of your clients had hip replacements?

didi
dteresa

Re: running and exercise after hip replacement

Postby Lani Muelrath » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:46 pm

dteresa wrote:Lani, are you aware of any restrictions on running or on using certain exercise and weight machines at the gym. After surgery a patient has to follow hip precautions but after a few months they are lifted and my doctor said I can do any exercise. However, I am seventy years old and I suspect he does not think I would do very much anyway. He is not a good communicator. Hip precautions dictate that you cannot bend your knees more than ninety degrees but with a rowing machine of course you do. One piece of equipment involves sitting on a machine with your thighs pressed tightly against pads and swivelling your hips from side to side by using the thigh muscles. Another involves sitting down and pushing against a rectangular board with your feet. Also involving using those thigh muscles and bending beyond ninety degrees. Running as opposed to bike riding involves lots of pounding on the ground. The therapists always say ask your doctor and the doctors have no idea of what is involved---they are very good at cutting and replacing though.

Have any of your clients had hip replacements?

didi

Didi,

Exercise is important at any stage of our journey to keep muscles strong for stabilizing joints, metabolic function, and just plain thriving in life! Sorry to hear about your sideline with the surgery but what a great modern invention!

I would recommend working with a physical therapist experienced in bringing people back to activity after hip replacement. You mention 'therapists' in your post - is a PT what you mean? It's worth a search to find someone that can work with you before any more time lapses.

Please keep me posted on your journey - there's nothing like being strong and active and when you're used to being fit, a layoff can be hard!

Lani
Lani Muelrath

Return to Exercise and Fitness