Someone said if Overweight should not run, hard on joints?

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Someone said if Overweight should not run, hard on joints?

Postby ThunderDreamin » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:12 pm

Hi, I am intested in running, however I watched a video were someone said that if you are overweight you should not run, that is would be too hard on your joints and you will get injuries. Is this true? If so how close do you have to be to your goal weight before you can start running? I am about 50lbs overweight. Thanks
ThunderDreamin

Re: Someone said if Overweight should not run, hard on joint

Postby Lani Muelrath » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:52 am

ThunderDreamin wrote:Hi, I am intested in running, however I watched a video were someone said that if you are overweight you should not run, that is would be too hard on your joints and you will get injuries. Is this true? If so how close do you have to be to your goal weight before you can start running? I am about 50lbs overweight. Thanks

Hi ThunderDreamin',

FIrst, which video and who where? If "someone said" in a video, consider the source.

That said, true, greaater loading on the joints can mean more stress to same, so one should consider if there are joint stability problems to be respected and to wear supportive footwear and move in good alignment.

Don't let any of this discourage you from getting out and moving, barring precautions from doc. It can be a good idea to start out slow and work your way up. Are you currently walking? Start there if not. Then work with extending periods of walking and upping the pace as you advance in your practice - this can give you some great cardio benefit without breaking into a full run until ready.

Lani
Lani Muelrath

Postby ThunderDreamin » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:51 pm

Lani, That sounds like a wonderful plan !!! Thanks :)
ThunderDreamin

Postby Lani Muelrath » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:01 pm

ThunderDreamin wrote:Lani, That sounds like a wonderful plan !!! Thanks :)

Thunderdreams, keep me posted. This summer I started running almost daily again and it has captured my heart again, so don't want to discourage! I've run many a 10k, a half marathon and even a sprint triathlon, but had not really been running much for a few years.

Best to you!
Lani
Lani Muelrath

Postby nayasmom » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:02 am

I've been a runner before, and have started up again after about 15 years of depression getting in my way, and the least I ever weighed was 145lbs at 5'3". I've never had troubles with joint pain UNLESS I was in the wrong shoes. Once I figured out the few styles and brands that work for me, that has been the end of the joint pain. I started jogging again a couple of years ago when I weighed 194 lbs, no problem with joint pain. Last year I started yet again, and now I'm training for a marathon that's in August. When I started last year, I was 175lbs; as of Wednesday I am 171 lbs. I just did the McDougall ten day diet and Wed. was day 10, so I lost 3 lbs (starting weight was 174lbs).
Start out very slowly. I find walking to be incredibly boring, while I love to run or jog, so for me walking just isn't an option. If I have to walk... well, simply put, I just won't.
Let your body tell you if you're overdoing it or not wearing the right shoes. The best advice I can offer is: DON'T be a cheapskate when you buy your running shoes. Make sure they are running shoes, not cross-train shoes. Don't let a salesperson talk you into shoes that are not running shoes. They make shoes for "Clydesdales". I know because I am one. This Clydesdale completed two marathons in the past. I always buy my shoes from Road Runner Sports. I don't go online; I find I get much better service and advice by calling. Whoever you talk to, that person will get you started out. They don't judge, they don't roll their eyes, nothing like that. (Yes, you can always tell when someone on the phone is rolling their eyes! LOL).
And if you start to get even a hint of joint pain, STOP what you're doing and assess why it is there. It might go away, but will always come back worse if you don't figure out what is causing it. I speak from experience. I ignored hip pain for a couple of weeks until I could barely walk, and the doc told me I have osteoarthritis. I was 33 years old at the time. Thank goodness I didn't listen to him. I bought different shoes and the pain disappeared overnight. Now, I listen to whatever my body tells me. I tried a pair of running shoes last summer and doing a trail run my left knee started complaining. I walked the rest of the way, and sent those shoes right back. I had barely run 1/2 mile in them. I'm older and wiser now, finally. Good luck and I sure hope you find that running/jogging is your grounding and centering method. There is nothing like it. No matter how fast or slow, running to me is like the heartbeat, it's perfect.
Robyn
Great spirits have always met with violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstein

[/url]
nayasmom

Return to Exercise and Fitness