Fall Vegetable Garden

Share your gardening experiences here

Moderator: JeffN

Re: Fall Vegetable Garden

Postby LeeAnne » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:24 am

Kitty--good thing peas don't mind cooler weather.

Dendra--I'm the same way about wanting to grow my own greens and also herbs. We had a family thanksgiving and my sister-in-law grew her own rosemary and thyme and many other herbs---which she used in her bread dressing. It was absolutely the BEST dressing I've ever had--vegetarian of course. But the fresh herbs is what made it so good!!
LeeAnne

Postby kittyadventures » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:35 pm

The Austrian peas are sprouting Whooo Hoooo!

I was worried I put them in entirely too late but they seem okay.

I am having a slug issue though so i need to get some bait.
everything that is sprouting is sprouting really slowly. except for my greens .. They are all happy little plants.
Who knew an Apple a day, really would keep the Doctor away!
"Be the change you want to see in the world"--Gandhi.

http://www.kittyadventures.wordpress.com

Days in a row of exercise: 9
kittyadventures

Postby Dendra » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:17 pm

I have good sage and rosemary. Am putting in parsley. Need to get some oregano - for some reason I keep thinking oregano shouldn't need added water... Next time I'll treat it better. Fresh herbs make things taste so much better.

Kitty, Glad your peas are sprouting! Is that variety a cover crop?

As to slugs, I've had good luck just hand picking them when I see them. I like to toss them in the pond - the fish love 'em. :unibrow:

This evening I finally got around to planting more greens. Spigarello, kale, and collard greens this time. I also found some Red Russian kale in my 'greens' seeds container. Might eventually have to plant some of that too. Think I'll wait to see what my germination % is on these first. I would love to have lots of this stuff to process and have ready in the freezer to just dump into soups and things.

A few days ago I tranplanted seedlings of parsley, red chard, and tat soi into larger pony packs. I hope I'm not repeating myself. :duh:
Dendra

Postby dlhanson » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:42 pm

We moved to the Tampa, Florida area last June and we planted a fall garden starting in August. The garden didn't start out very well because I planted most plants too early. There were lots of problems with fungus and with insects (some that I can't even say).

We have two gardens --- we have 16 earthboxes by our house. 11 of them with tomatoes (2 per earthbox). They have done very well and we have been harvesting tomatoes for about 2 weeks now. 1 earthbox has oregano and basil and it has done well also. And we have 4 earthboxes with strawberries; they are starting to turn red now.

We also have a garden plot about 2 miles away. We are picking pole and bush beans, and snow peas. We have a few tomatoes but mostly the 8 tomato plants aren't doing much as fungus had hurt them too much. The cabbage is looking very good but it won't be ready for another month, I think. I also have bok choi and romaine lettuce that look good but are not ready yet. I have a few sick pepper plants --- the bell peppers have been attacked by something, fungus or insects, since August. I replanted several times and even when they grow nicely for awhile, most of them have gotten very sick later. (We do everything organically so we use organically approved fungicides and insecticides like copper and BT.)

At the back of the garden plot, we have 6 papaya trees. I bought them at Walmart and they have grown alot since they were planted. They are about to blossom (I don't know when papaya should blossom here).

We love living here, both DW and I love the summer heat, and we love having multiple gardening seasons.
dlhanson

Postby kittyadventures » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:55 am

Okay this is totally just for FUN

a song by Frank Zappa.

IT is a bit Avante Garde'

Call any vegetable..Lyricks are down in the comments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOLOnJbBdkI

Enjoy.

kittyadventures

Postby kittyadventures » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:12 am

So i had some swiss chard from my veggie garden in some soup i made. It was sooo yummy. The rest of my garde is in slow mo... Because it is just too cold. I fully expect it all to explode with growth in abou a month. In the mean time i will enjoy my occasional bit of greens. In other news i am trying to pick out the seeds i want to grow this year and i am trying to forment an acceptable planting schedule that gets me the most bang for my buck.
I am going to schedule the last set of corn to be harvested by the second week in september. And the fall garden to be planted byoctober firtst. That way it will be really up and growing before the coldest days start. I am hoping to do the same next winter with four plots for veggies and three with cover crops.

I also have two hay bales to try the haybale garden bed method.

It should be a really interesting year in my garden. Any body else have winter stuff growing. Wish i was like dlhansen with a bit warmer weather LOL

kittyadventures

Postby kittyadventures » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:35 am

Something sprouted in one of my beds .. IT is a mystery as to what it is because it is really cold out side.

Also some of my carrots sprouted Yay carrots.!

kittyadventures

Previous

Return to Gardening