Fall Vegetable Garden

Share your gardening experiences here

Moderator: JeffN

Fall Vegetable Garden

Postby kittyadventures » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:19 am

Are any of you going to plant a fall garden?
I know this may only apply to people in the south and the west coast but I am going to try to grow stuff as long as possible this year.

I am on the California coast so I can grow greens year round also turnips and beets. onions and carrots and radishes.
I have never had it together enought o actually do this I am hoping to manage to do it this year. A bonus is my tomatoes and peppers are in regular pots instead of the garden so I am hoping to move them inside for an extended harvest.
Who knew an Apple a day, really would keep the Doctor away!
"Be the change you want to see in the world"--Gandhi.

http://www.kittyadventures.wordpress.com

Days in a row of exercise: 9
kittyadventures

Re: Fall Vegetable Garden

Postby Plumerias » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:09 pm

If I still lived in central Ohio and was still gardening, I'd be planting some of my fall garden about now. The first thing in would be some peas. I had lettuce beneath a cold frame until Christmas one year.
Plumerias

Postby Lois » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:42 am

I'm in eastern NC and will soon plant some broccoli seedlings. We usually have mild winters and I can harvest greens all winter from my garden.
Lois
Lois

Postby kittyadventures » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:43 am

Plumeria WOW that is pretty impressive.. I grew up in Michigan and I know how cold it gets there in the winter. I wonder if I should do a cold frame for stuff. and peas I hadn't thought of trying a few peas.

Hi Lois Welcome to the forum. Have you started the broccoli seedlings yet or do you wait until later to plant them. We grew some one year and it was pretty interesting. maybe I will give that a go again this year and see how it does.

since the summer garden is still gong strong and it is time to get the winter stuff in .. I am going to have to plant it all in pots to get it all started. and then move it all into the garden as I clear out some of my summer stuff. :lol:

kittyadventures

Postby Plumerias » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:26 pm

I grew up in Michigan too, my siblings all live in central Michigan. Their season is a at least couple of weeks shorter on both ends. Ha, ha, ha!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I didn't put the peas inside cold frames, but I did have bird frames, as our lovely cardinals truly adored our peas. When frost threatened, the drop cloths would come out. They draped very nicely, with the help of some good old fashioned clip clothes pins, over those frames, especially if I happened to use the old flannel sheets.

Remember when planning your fall garden to account for the shortening day lengths of the season. You must add time that you would not need in the spring, when the days are lengthening.
Plumerias

Postby Faith in DC » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:12 pm

I am hoping to get another round of green beans, beets, chard, kale, peas and some broc and brussel sprouts, oh and radishes. I have planted all of this but some didn't come up. I may be having to put a dark plastic around them. I know we seem to go from summer to frost in a snap and you never know when that is coming.

Some of the beans and pea I put out a while ago and they are growing so slow.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby Faith in DC » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:33 am

I finally found my pac choi and spinach seeds so went out between rain drops and put them in yesterday.

I was lazy with my fall planting and didn't mark where all I stuck seeds. I always assume I will remember. So it'll be a mystery LOL.

My eggplant is still booming.
Faith
Faith in DC

Postby kittyadventures » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:29 am

Well my eggplant has had absolutely no fruit on them... I will go back to the japanese ones that do so well in my area.

I am picking the early corn this weekend and not a moment too soon the late corn is putting on it's ears and I will be having that in about a month.

the lettuce and collard geens I planted have sprouted and this weekend I am going to go ahead and plant in some six pack s with some of the winter stuff I want to grow.. as I am probably two weeks at least till that corn bed is empty.
I got all teh weeds out of the paths of the veggie garden last weekend.. so it looks really nice.

I have been having a feast of cuccumbers and peppers and OMG MY Beans have done wonderfully. So yummy. and I am still slowly harvesting beets. I pull them as they get big enough.

Every thing this year has grown so slowly too because we have hasd such cool weather on the west coast.

Also I don't know why but the carrots I pulled are very bitter.. I will only be cooking them rather than having them raw.

kittyadventures

Postby blondie » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:42 am

It is starting to feel like fall here in Missouri, with night time temperatures in the 40s. I was hoping to find some broccoli plants to plant for fall but no luck. My zucchini plants were done so I've pulled them up, one last tomato that needs to ripen, and there are a few banana peppers and cucumbers still out there.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w/]
[/url]
[url=http://www.tickerfactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w]My Weight Chart:
Image[/url]>
311 all-time highest weight. Began McDougall plan at 300 lb. on 2/9/2011.
blondie

Postby Chile » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:18 pm

I hadn't been paying attention to some native beans we'd planted and just noticed yesterday that not only are there some long green pods on the plants, some were already dry! They are a beautiful black and white bean that is an Indian variety of black-eyed pea.
Chile

Postby kittyadventures » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:24 pm

We got rain today... OMG 6 weeks early! Okay it was only a shower but still.

usually we don't see any rain until halloween week.

kittyadventures

Postby Faith in DC » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:00 pm

well the rain may help the garden.

It's funny how some years one thing does so good and other years it does so bad. I've had a OK year for green beans. I'd like to have harvested more. Now the pole green beans are doing well. I hope the second planting works. My area seems a bit unpredictable.

Blondie - do you ever see broccoli plants for sale in Missouri, in the fall? Around here there is never vegetable plants for sale in the fall. So I start my own. It's a seasonal item and I guess they don't realize that some things have two seasons.

Chile that is great on the beans. I am thinking of trying a dried bean next year. I got some free seeds from here last year for these purple pod beans that looked like black eyed peas inside. They didn't do real well, but I'd like to try something that I am familar with. I just took a guess to let them dry on the plant. Are your's viney or more bush like? Those she gave me didn't get too long.

I made two eggplant dishes. I've been roasting some cubes with soy sauce and a little seasame oil each week and really like that. I also tried this mediterarian dish, which is OK, but I need to spice it up more. I picked six eggplants, all a decent size, on Sunday.

I pulled out my old green beans plants this weekend. sniff
Faith
Faith in DC

Postby veggielou » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:15 pm

I'm not Blondie but am in Mo. We never find any fall veggie plants. Plus have to buy seeds in spring. If we wait until time to plant for fall,all seeds have been sent back to distributers.Our fall garden is doing well. Harvesting kale,lettuce, chard,now. Broccoli,brussel sprouts,beets,cabbage, etc are looking good.
veggielou

Postby blondie » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:44 pm

No I really haven't. I went looking for spinach seeds starting in mid July, thinking I would plant some of them this fall and couldn't find any then. I live about 1/2 hour away from Baker Creek (rareseeds.com) so I was hoping to get out there and get some, but just haven't taken the time to make the trip.

I'll just look forward to and plan for spring, and hope I can find good stuff at the farmer's market this fall.

Walmart had large utility tubs on clearance and I bought three of them and plan to dismantle my raised bed and transfer the dirt to those three containers, so I can have my plants closer to the house for easier watering. My neighbor gave me 3 wheelbarrows full of rabbit poo to put on my garden, so that helped things grow after we got past the cold, rainy spring, then weeks of 95-100 degree summer with little to no rain.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w/]
[/url]
[url=http://www.tickerfactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w]My Weight Chart:
Image[/url]>
311 all-time highest weight. Began McDougall plan at 300 lb. on 2/9/2011.
blondie

Postby Chile » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:01 am

Faith, the plants are somewhat viney but did not grow very tall, less than a foot and a half. This may be normal as they are a drought-adapted heat tolerant plant or they may be stunted like everything else we planted in buckets. Our theory is this year was so hot that the soil in the buckets heated enough to stress the roots. These plants, though, look very healthy and are producing well.
Chile

Next

Return to Gardening