Percent of Calories from Fat

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Percent of Calories from Fat

Postby JOJO1947 » Wed May 08, 2024 10:50 am

Dear Jeff,
I am not a math dunce, but this figure has me confused.
I NEVER pay any attention to the % of Daily Value Column of figures on the food label, but I want to know how they calculate that 1 gram of fat (9 calories) in a 60 calorie serving is 1% of the Daily Value. That is what is on the label of my Sari nooch.
But if 1% of the Daily Value is 1 gram, that would make 100% of the Daily Value 100 grams of fat which equals 900 calories. How can that be right?
I watched your video on reading nutrition labels, and you said the bold 7% fat would take 30 minutes to explain :) I'm hoping there is a quicker answer.
Appreciate it if you can shed some light on this.
Thanks JoAnn
Last edited by JOJO1947 on Wed May 08, 2024 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JOJO1947

Re: Percent of Calories from Fat

Postby JeffN » Wed May 08, 2024 3:18 pm

This should help but you have to read through it and some of the links. I always say the IRS tax code is easier to understand.

https://www.fda.gov/food/nutrition-facts-label/daily-value-nutrition-and-supplement-facts-labels

Jeff
JeffN

Re: Percent of Calories from Fat

Postby JOJO1947 » Wed May 08, 2024 4:00 pm

OK Jeff. Well, thanks, and I do understand now and thanks for the link.
I am blown away by the fact that by eating 1 gm of fat, I have met only 1% of my need for fat (according to the ?experts?) Really? It's a joke, but not funny and horribly sad that we are given such BS. JoAnn
JOJO1947

Return to Jeff Novick, RD