moonwatcher's slow motion miracle

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

moonwatcher's slow motion miracle

Postby moonwatcher » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:20 pm

Moonwatcher's Slow Motion Miracle

Last week I sat on a yellow jacket. Apparently, anyway. Never saw it. It was very warm out, around noon. (The fact that I was outside and not weak and shaky because of it is a victory in itself.) The friend who helps me with landscaping was hauling brush out of the yard and I sat down on the back porch steps while we discussed our next steps as he walked by to his truck. At first I thought the cement was awfully warm (I had a skirt on) then realized I was getting stung at the top of my thigh just outside the panty line. I immediately got up and went in for some lemon balm oil. Yep, definitely stung, and in a very inconvenient place. I went back out to fetch some fresh lemon balm leaves for a poultice, and applied those to the sting area (Lots of fun trying to affix that with band-aids).

Now what does this have to do with MS and this way of eating? Over the years I have been stung in August and September, it just happens when it’s hot, I’m out in the garden and they are cruising, winding down their short sharp lives. We say around here they are pissed off they’re dying, so they’ll sting anybody just because. ☺

Before this way of eating, the message that I had been stung was like a fire alarm stuck in the “on” position in all nerve endings. I couldn’t even see straight or walk around the “alarm” was so intense. And it often took hours, sometimes a whole day for that to calm down. And the pain of the poison from the sting being drawn out by the lemon balm was protracted and exhausting and nauseating. I would be on the couch or in bed for the rest of the day.

This time it hurt, but the alarm seemed had cotton all over it, was in the background, pretty much localized to the sting site, and not completely systemic. It hurt, don’t get me wrong. But the inflammatory response was reduced dramatically. In fact I didn’t even tell the landscaper, until several minutes later, when I had it all bandaged up with the lemon balm and was writing him a check (wouldn’t have been able to do such a thing so soon after a sting because my hands would have been shaking and/or not able to.

The rest of the day went pretty much as if I had not been stung at all. In a couple of hours it was fine to take the poultice off, there was no swelling or tenderness. It all took a fraction of the time it once took.

So even when I happen to sit on a yellow jacket, things go better because of this way of eating. ☺

I’ll be writing about these kinds of little victories, food I eat, and other insights about this lifestyle here. Next post will provide some background about my health issues and some about how I came to this way of eating. I hope you'll join me now and then. :)

moonwatcher
Last edited by moonwatcher on Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Please join me at my new blog Plant-Based Slow Motion Miracle

http://fatfreevegan.com/slowmiracle/

Or visit my journal, Moonwatcher's Slow Motion Miracle, on this site. Before and after pictures on page 4.
moonwatcher

Re: moonwatcher's slow motion miracle

Postby moonwatcher » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:23 pm

For those of you who don’t’ already know, I have the following set of health challenges: born with mild cerebral palsy, which affects the right side of my body. Mild spasticity, less muscle development on that side, right leg slightly shorter (1/4 of an inch) than left, problems with balance, coordination, etc., which I have learned to compensate for rather beautifully. Then diagnosed with MS 16 plus years ago, which affected that all important compensatory left side, and altered the right side some, too. It also affects my cognitive functioning, so I don’t teach at university I like I once did. I never really experienced relapsing remitting phase in a very noticeable way, by the time I was given a diagnosis of MS, it was pretty much secondary progressive. This way of eating has altered the sharp downward progression that was gathering more and more force about 12 years in. I did not know who Dr. McDougall was at the time I began eating this way, but since I had always used lifestyle changes rather than meds, I asked myself “Have I really done everything I can do before I say okay, time for the wheelchair?”

After having heard about the Swank Diet in passing many years ago but never having had it explained to me except in general terms like “it’s a low fat diet and you eat a lot of chicken and fish” which, I didn’t particularly want to do, and not realizing there was a book I could read, at this point I could go to the internet (Yep, that’s how many years passed!) and just look it up. There I began to understand what low fat actually means.
I read The Multiple Sclerosis Diet Book by Dr. Swank and determined that I wanted to do it vegan. Though it limits and measures small amounts of oil, I quickly decided my fat intake would be better spent by eating small amounts of ground flax and a few walnuts instead of wasting fat grams on oil. So I typed in “fat free vegan reicpes” and found Susan Voisin’s blog “Fat Free Vegan Kitchen.” That will be 5 years ago this coming February. There I learned to cook without oil, and to love it. I made and commented on so many recipes I became friends with Susan. We got to meet last summer when she came to my corner of the country. Susan’s web site is where I first heard of Dr. McDougall. And there were references to him on the Swank Discussion Board here and there. I finally figured out they were the same Dr. McDougall and he had his own site!

I am not much of a numbers person. My story is anecdotal, since at the time I was diagnosed, spinal fluid taps and follow up MRI’s were not required, and I quickly realized the medical establishment has little to nothing to offer those with MS. I have a kind doctor who supports all my “alternative” measures, though he doesn’t pay a lot of detailed attention to them. Hopefully my slow motion miracles will inspire others to strike out on their own with this way of eating.

The effect of cutting out oil and saturated fat was immediate in the sense that I recognized I had been dealing with feeling as if something was eating away at me all the time, and that just stopped. Like a fever breaking. Within two weeks I knew I was no longer getting “worse.” I just knew. Since then, things have improved slowly and steadily. The improvement comes in myriad ways I hope to describe in little bits and pieces on here, as time goes on. A general way to describe it is that the form of inflammation and pain gets softened and continues to soften over time. It takes longer to get a “break point” where balance, coordination, or other functions just “go to sleep,” and a shorter time for bounce back if my nervous system does go into what I call “52 pick-up” mode. Before I started this way of eating, I had lost that bounce back.

So my slow motion miracle is that instead of slowly progressing, plateauing and then sharply progressing, I am NOT progressing and am slowly and steadily seeing improvements. I have reversed the direction of my illness. People can’t believe how great I look. Sometimes they don’t even recognize me. Plus, they see me out more. Whereas before I would struggle to walk a quarter mile, now I walk at least mile a day at a time, and then in addition some days walk the quarter mile to the grocery with my market cart. I have a wonderful service dog who keeps tabs on me, helping me with gait and proprioception and bracing if I get a little disoriented coming up from a bend. I am able to walk more naturally and more quickly with him than with the walking stick, which my doctor has happily observed.

Other side benefits: I instantly lost the little extra weight I had—that 5-15 pound range “above normal” is gone. Over time I’ve lost even more, without even trying,as I refine my diet for other reasons. . I can fit into size 6 and even size 4 pants comfortably. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would be in anything smaller than a 7-8, and without even trying!
The first year I did what I call a science experiment. I wondered if all the damage was due to the saturated fat alone, and wanted to see what would happen if I ate wheat products again (I had been tested as intolerant of it and rye). So I began eating some whole wheat pasta, Ezekiel bread, and baking fat free with whole wheat flour products, rye crackers, rye bread now and then. After about 9 months of that, I decided I really needed to avoid wheat and rye to improve my digestion and symptoms associated with that. It helped me a lot to return to that practice. That has since broadened out to all gluten. Perhaps menopause increased those sensitivities for me.

The second year of doing this I had a bad fall on a hot night. I lost consciousness while coming up from a simple yoga stretch and hit the corner of my masonry stove in the middle of my back. The pain reaction I had made me seriously consider something I had suspected for a while: that with all the falls I’d taken over my lifetime, I had developed the complication of fibromyalgia. I had read that falls can bring this on. That turns out to be true, so the next couple of years brought more “science experiments” to help reduce the effects of that condition.

Now before you start saying to yourself “oh, how terrible,” consider that I would not have been able to sort these things out at all before switching to this way of eating. But this lifestyle and diet change gave me all the ability to feel good enough to start distinguishing what was what, and what foods helped and what foods didn’t.

I cut out sugar completely, even the small amounts I was using to bake. Eventually I cut out baking, except for very special occasions when others are around to eat most of it. I don’t eat products made with flour, to speak of. I also gave up soy, even small amounts of the “good kind.” At about the same time I was coming to his conclusion about soy, I ran across a McDougall minute about fibromyalgia on the intenet that said to avoid gluten and refined flour products, oh, and at the very end, Dr. McD said, “oh, and no soy.” He didn’t say why, but I figured it was a sign. :)

These adjustments have made an immense improvement in the fibro pain response, and thus my quality of life. I love to cook, so still find ways to have good treats with whole foods. I hope to share some of those off beat things here.

Another side benefit: I had severe neuralgia and rosacea when I began this way of eating. That is all but gone. The rosacea flares up in response to heat and dust, but nothing like it once did. I met a nurse the other day who remarked on how healthy I looked, particularly my skin. She didn’t even know. So I went from being in pain while chewing, even smiling, my skin feeling like a peeled grape, to the miracle of being able to eat and chew and smile and laugh without also wincing in pain or guarding against the inflammation that would be triggered by those simple and essential movements.

I also had very severe issues with body temperature regulation. I was unable to cool down, and so would get very very hot and red, pulse as if on fire, then shake, teeth chattering, as I cooled off. This whole experience could last over an hour. I would have to lay down through it and after I would be exhausted, and have to sleep. That’s gone, too.
These and many other things I call my “little victories and epiphanies.” Is everything perfect? No. But I continue to celebrate the miracle that at a time in my life when I’m getting older, instead of sinking into the oblivion of profound MS progression, I am, as the old commercial used to say, “getting better.”

I’ll post some of my little victories over the past five years to encourage others with MS and/or fibro or other autoimmune issues no thing is too small to celebrate. It ALL counts.

There’s so much to say I have to just start in the middle. Please read, ask questions, and let me know what you’d like to hear about.

You can live and live well on this diet, even if your MS has progressed, even if you start over a decade after you’ve been diagnosed. Even if you have other serious complications. Even if they are congenital. :)

moonwatcher
Last edited by moonwatcher on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Or visit my journal, Moonwatcher's Slow Motion Miracle, on this site. Before and after pictures on page 4.
moonwatcher

Postby fulenn » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:57 pm

moonwatcher, thank you so much for sharing this! I am very happy that your reaction to a yellow jacket sting is so much milder now. :) I look forward to hearing about the many things that have changed for you with the way of eating. It is so encouraging to hear these things, they really are important and all add up to a big difference in quality of life.

Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby absgirl » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:33 pm

wow girls i think we r proof that GOD never gives us more than we can handle...
u both amaze me with ur stories....maybe someday il share mine

together we will over come this disease!
ABSgirl
I have MS but it doesnt have me
GOD HAS A PLAN
my journal==I THINK I CAN DO THIS the journey leading to this point is on page 3
http://drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=31040&start=30
absgirl

Postby moonwatcher » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:59 pm

Thanks, gals, I really appreciate you checking in and cheering me on for starting the journal. I feel like we're having an "MS" slumber party, of all things.! Funny image. Just couldn't resist kicking my fluffy slippers up in the air. . . :)

absgirl, hope you'll share more of your story someday too. Whenever it feels right. I've been on this board for 3 plus years and only now was I ready.

moonwatcher

moonwatcher

Postby never give up » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:08 am

Oh Boy, another place to "Lerk and Learn". Got my pjs on, can I come over here and hang out too? :)

moonwatcher, thank you so much for sharing this! I am very happy that your reaction to a yellow jacket sting is so much milder now. I look forward to hearing about the many things that have changed for you with the way of eating. It is so encouraging to hear these things, they really are important and all add up to a big difference in quality of life.

What Fulenn said!

It certainly appears that you have an incredible story to tell and I am so grateful to be able to learn from you. Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us.

never give up
never give up

Postby moonwatcher » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:43 am

hey never give up--

thanks! Looks like we might be about ready to put the popcorn on and stay up REALLY late!! :lol: :)

Here's something funny that just happened, which I would call a little victory. I was outside watering the garden and came in several minutes ago. I turned the beans I had cooking on the stove down, poured myself some hibiscus style tea, unlocked the front door, opened up the computer, read e-mails, responded to one, then got here. Several minutes. Only NOW did I realize I still had my straw hat on. Okay, this sounds like absent-mindedness (and it is to a certain degree, I am a professional absent-minded professor for sure), but what it ALSO means is that I did not feel the pressure of the hat on my head in any detrimental way at all. This is yet another sign of vascular strengthening and flexibility slowly recovering from the bad fall a couple of years ago, which was the result of something fancy called vasal vegal syncope (I may have the vasal vegal part spelled wrong)--which means the blood vessels don't open and contract accordingly and one can feel light-headed or lose consciousness all of a sudden as a result. For a long long time after the fall I could not even WEAR my hat (which is a challenge with sensitive nerves and skin and being out in the sun). When I did, I would always have to lift it up and let my head adjust, etc. So hooray for BEING ABLE to forget to take my hat off. And this after walking around with it on BENDING OVER to pull out grass, weeds, as I went outside. I tell ya, life is funny.

moonwatcher

moonwatcher

Postby absgirl » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:41 am

im tellin ya all the small miracles is a wonderful feeling...poured us all champagne glasses of chilled sweet water.....heres to all of us at this slumber party, proof of living miracles, enjoying our lives with an abundance of thanks to our Gods or Higher Powers, enjoying the company of the friends we are making and waiting for more to join us and looking forward to the journey in our improving bodies and souls!

now can we turn off the scary movies? and eat some more taters?
lmbo
ABSgirl
GOD HAS A PLAN
my journal==I THINK I CAN DO THIS the journey leading to this point is on page 3
absgirl

Postby moonwatcher » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:16 pm

good idea, absgirl. I'm always the first one to walk away from scary movies. Pass me some more of those taters instead!! :-)

blessings,

moonwatcher

moonwatcher

Postby moonwatcher » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:20 pm

Here is something anecdotal I found that I wrote a couple of years ago. It is a reflection on an evening experience I had just a few months after starting this WOE. I thought it might be helpful in giving encouragement to trust and listen to how you feel in your body, even when things are busy, or others are not quite “there” with you.

One physiological example I was quite aware of in the first months of the diet was a time L had come over for a visit and J also stopped by for the duration of a meeting he had dropped his daughter off at. It was evening, and even S had called before L arrived, so that I had not finished my dinner when she arrived, and so was sitting at the table with her finishing it, when J also arrived. To sit there at the table and be able to eat AND talk AND smile interchangeably, without flushing or having acute facial nerve pain, felt like a miracle. But it was very real. Ironically, as I was noticing this shift, the subject of the conversation was the aches and pains and health troubles of the other two friends, and how getting older just brings it all on. While I, supposedly, the “sickest” sat there noticing this remarkable improvement, which I mentioned, though the significance of it can only be truly felt by the person who has experienced the acute pain when trying to laugh or smile in conversation, or uncontrollable flushing and pain just as the result of the nerve stimulation in the face from the effort of chewing. What I did not mention, or know how to mention was this intuitive flash of compassionate knowing, that I had, at age 52, fundamentally changed the direction my physiology was going, just through the way I was eating, and so instead of being able to commiserate with them, I was certain at some cell level I was recuperating and healing, not sliding toward an inevitable demise. Didn’t want to gloat, that wouldn’t have been the point of it anyway, but it felt so profoundly true all I could do was sit in myself and respect the awareness, as encouragement for it to grow.

moonwatcher

moonwatcher

Postby fulenn » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:07 pm

Wow. That piece of writing was powerful! Thank you so much for sharing that here. As I have gotten older, I have had those times where my ideas of who I was supposed to be at that age and through the aging process, they nibble at your thoughts until you begin to accept the limitations that aging will inevitably put on you. But this way of eating changes that and you captured the feeling of that awareness perfectly in your words. Thank you for doing that!

Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby moonwatcher » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:18 pm

You're welcome, fulenn. I really appreciate your feedback. And how you know this way of eating changes that so profoundly. Thanks. :)

Let's always remember.

moonwatcher

moonwatcher

Postby absgirl » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:15 pm

moonwatcher

2 years ago my mothers daughter was askin my doctor about institutions to stick me. my doctors response was that i was no where near that.
still on a mission to rid herself of me and my ms she came to my house wanting me to sign papers puttin my daughters in maryhurst.......a home for troubled girls. she wanted me to give my house back to the bank and make her my power of attorney [so she could banish me somewhere?]

she told me i would never find a man....esp one that would accept my kids or the fact that im short fat and dont wear make up any more. to find a man that would tolerate my disease not to mention my laziness would be impossible. plus the fact that i dont make my bed...oh my ...she had me so convinced i was worthless and let me know it was time to let go and sit and wait to die

i was to depressed [how she wanted to keep it] to leave the house and she could not understand why i allowed my friends to come over n drink all my coffee. claiming that i allowed visitors all hours of the day and night.

i can so understand your mind set...this disease does a number on ur head and sometimes others dont help. im glad u came back to ur senses.

it took aaron walkin thru my door to help straighten me out. now this woe...even tho ive only been doin it a short time has me wantin to look at that evil woman and stick my tongue out as well as show her a finger...but im not like that really [ its only in my head]

i feel like what goes around comes around and the best we can do is be positive so positive things happen back at us
ABSgirl
GOD HAS A PLAN
absgirl

Postby moonwatcher » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:32 pm

Sounds like you've had some tough times with that woman, absgirl. Glad you made it through.

What I was trying to convey is the shift I felt in my body, very early on, almost immediately, which made it easy to stick to this WOE for me. That the truth is there, not in what we were taught to believe about getting older and/or being sick or disabled, no matter how well intentioned it may or may not have been, depending on the situation. This way of eating really can change any of those beliefs we may hold or be influenced by because it changes US at a physiological level.

moonwatcher

moonwatcher

Postby absgirl » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:45 pm

so many things change us psychologically for the negative. our food really does play a part.

i was depressed and the food i ate made me more depressed. since aaron arrived ive been more happy but this woe has made me down right a jolly person.

i want to scream about it from the roof top so everybody can experience it but u know the saying about leadin a horse to water.....so many people just dont get it
ABSgirl
GOD HAS A PLAN
absgirl

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals