Way of Life

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Way of Life

Postby f1jim » Thu May 02, 2013 11:15 am

You know that veggie curry thing sounds mighty good. I am going to have to explore that with you as I am a curry kind of guy.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby Caroveggie » Mon May 13, 2013 9:36 am

I just make Jeff's SNAP version using Madras Curry Powder. It's one of my favorite meals. Chickpeas are definitely better with it than pinto beans though.

This weekend flew by. Inspired by our Norm and Arthur (the guy who can walk thanks to yoga), I did some more research into DDP yoga and decided to purchase it. You can learn more about DDP yoga at DDPyoga.com.

I think I'll be able to do this with my foot how it is (painful usually) since I'm watching when I run so I won't hurt it more. So I think this will help me get in shape and become strong and flexible. I'm still waiting for my DVDs to arrive and I can't wait! I already have a yoga mat but maybe I'll invest in some yoga blocks too. I don't know yet.. I'm happy with my decision since I used to spend money on a gym and this costs only about 2 months of what I spent for a gym, yet it lasts forever.

This weekend was full of parties at people's houses. I didn't eat that great and I wasn't trying all that hard either. I just ate vegetarian but not healthy vegan. :oops: But now it's Monday, a new week, and I'm starting over.

I've had oatmeal with blueberries and 1/2 a banana for breakfast and I'll have chickpeas for lunch along with the other 1/2 of the banana. Then for dinner I'll make something healthy at home. I have to do my laundry and tidy up so I'll also make food for the rest of the week tonight.

I'm really excited about getting DDP yoga! I'm going to use this journal to track my progress with it.
Caroveggie

Postby Caroveggie » Wed May 15, 2013 12:21 am

I am just really excited about DDP yoga and still waiting for the DVDs to arrive! Today I had chocolate. I think the DDP yoga schedule will help me to avoid stuff I usually crave. When I used to run it was very easy for me to keep a healthy eating regimen. I think it has to do with being in healthy mode.

Well I got the results from my doctor from my blood test on May 7th. She says they are excellent but I am disappointed. My total cholesterol is 158 but a few years ago, when I had it taken at an Advanced Study Weekend, it was only 132. So I've gone up! Honestly I know it's from the dairy chocolate I've had and cheese too. :oops:

That's why I'm really excited about getting DDP yoga ~ just as running got me living in "healthy mode" so too will DDP yoga.

When will it arrive? I ordered it Saturday night. I'm going to check my email and see if it has a tracking number yet..
Caroveggie

Postby Caroveggie » Thu May 16, 2013 11:08 am

Breakfast: old fashioned rolled oats with a little almond milk, lots of blueberries, half a banana, and a small peach chopped up. And cinnamon and a little sweetener. It was delicious! I wish I had a camera because I wanted to take a picture of it.

My DDP yoga came last night and I spent the evening getting more acquainted with the program, including reading the booklet that arrived with it and watching some of the first DVD (and trying some of the "Diamond Dozen" standard base moves).

About halfway through I realized I had a nice thick mat to put under my yoga mat that luckily saved my knees. :)

Tonight if I have time I'm going to try the "Energy" DVD. I will let you know how that goes.

Foodwise I am having veg curry yet again for lunch (I put the other half of banana on it, sliced). Not sure what's for dinner though.

I'm really saddened to hear about Angelina Jolie. I wish she had the information I have about cancer and vegan nutrition. I've read a number of reputable books on the subject and have attended a cancer and nutrition symposium put on by PCRM. I attended a health cruise and listened to a panel of regular people who used vegan nutrition to strengthen their immune system in their respective fights against cancer. They had remarkable success. It's just a real shame this info is not widely known. It makes me really sad for her.
Caroveggie

Postby Caroveggie » Mon May 20, 2013 9:30 am

I'm on day 5 of my DDP yoga and really liking it. I've done yoga everyday since I got it. My eating has been pretty good, although last night I did have a veggie sausage.

Today I'm having oatmeal for breakfast, veggie curry on potato for lunch, and likely baked veggies for dinner..

Just a quick update. Have a good day. :cool:
Caroveggie

Postby Caroveggie » Thu May 23, 2013 10:29 am

I am still eating on plan although last night I ate a lot. I kept making tomato sandwiches.. then late at night I had another oatmeal bowl with fruit. It was all yummy. I think the bread doesn't fill me up as much as other stuff I eat.

I doubt I'll do yoga today. I'm meeting someone in the Mission so I won't have time. Oh well. I'll try to do more tomorrow.

Lately I've become more interested in cancer prevention through plant foods. I want to reread Anti-Cancer.

For instance, I thought chamomile tea was not very nutritious.. I thought green tea was better. Then today I read about apigenin which is in chamomile and makes cancer cells die. Yay! I'm going to start drinking chamomile tea. Previously, I would only drink it when we were out of green tea.
Caroveggie

Postby Caroveggie » Sat May 25, 2013 12:43 pm

I'm doing DDP yoga which is really keeping me in check as far as diet goes. I've lost 5 pounds since I started 10 days ago. :) I have not given into my cravings and have passed up pizza, chocolate, and cake in the last 10 days. So I'm doing pretty good.

However, I know I can do better. Two of my meals in the last 10 days were at Herbivore, a vegan (though not necessarily low fat) restaurant in the city. I had raviolis with a creamy marinara and a BBQ tempeh sandwich that had veganaise on it. So I know I can eat completely McDougall with a little more effort.

I'm going to have to do that if I want to lose a bit more weight. At the DDP yoga team site you take pictures and measurements to track your progress every 30 days.. so I think that's a big part of why I'm doing so well. I have the accountability and the goal of doing well for 30 days rather than just giving into my cravings.

Anyway, today I've had my usual oatmeal with fruit. I ate late today because I slept in. Now I'm waiting for it to settle before I do some yoga again.
Caroveggie

Previous

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals