Geo - Eye's Wide Open 2012

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Geo - Eye's Wide Open 2012

Postby geo » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:48 am

Hi Fulenn! Thanks for stopping by! For the dark chocolate Ice cream, I used Hershey's Special Dark cocao powder. It is really good tasting but can be a bit bitter as well. My Dau really liked the ice cream, but in reality since the fat level is low, its probably more accurate to call it ice milk :) It freezes a bit harder than ice cream and is not quite as smooth texture-wise, but the taste really is like a brownie. If you can stand the fat, adding a few mini chocolate chips into the churn could make it even chocolatier (is that a real word?).

Of course its not really healthy, but a lot healthier than regular ice cream. You could experiment with dropping some of the sugar and maybe adding stevia instead. Or you might want to try Almond milk instead of soy milk to drop the calories a bit. At any rate its a really simple recipe and easy to adjust things. Enjoy it. I only got to taste about a teaspoon of it before it was all gone...
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Postby geo » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:05 am

Day 178

B: oatmeal with flax and cinnamon
herbal tea
L: basmati rice with mixed veggies and salsa
watermelon
D: baked potato and sweet potato
grapes
D: watermelon

E: 90 mins walking - 10,753 steps. Total steps for day - 13,327 steps
M: 10 mins
TM: none

Good day today. Did my morning walk a little later than usual as I wanted to get my bloodwork done before I did it. But the walk went well and quick. My evening walk also went well but was feeling a bit tired when I did it. My butt was dragging a bit today towards mid-afternoon. Not sure why and a little nap didn't seem to help any. Since I took the day off, there was no real stress but there was a lot of anticipation over the bloodwork :-)

At any rate I did do the blood work at 7:30 AM and it went very quickly. In and out in like 5 mins. Since its a friday, I don't know if the results will come back on Saturday or if I will need to wait till Monday. But I will post them as soon as I get them...

Did a bit of food shopping today to try to prepare for our upcoming trip on Sunday. Everyone is really excited about it :nod: Its only 4 days (Sun-Wed) but I'm sure we will make the most of it. My dau has already started packing her things up 3 days in advance :lol:
geo

geo

Postby geo » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:32 am

Well here are my latest bloodwork results: After 178 days of MWL

Test.............................02/28/2012......05/26/2012......08/25/2012

Weight...............................261..................213..................180
BMI...................................35.4.................28.9.................24.4
Glucose, Serum..................131...................77....................72
BUN...................................14....................11....................13
Creatinine, Serum...............1.50.................1.40.................1.30
eGFR.................................52.....................56....................61
BUN/Creatinine Ratio...........N/C..................8......................10
Sodium, Serum..................140..................140..................143
Potassium, Serum...............4.3...................4.4...................4.6
Chloride, Serum.................102...................103..................106
Carbon Dioxide, Total..........26.8.................29.2.................32.2
Calcium, Serum..................8.7...................8.7...................9.0
Protein, Total, Serum...........6.9..................6.2....................6.3
Albumin, Serum..................3.7..................3.6....................3.6
Globulin, Total.....................N/C.................2.6....................2.7
A/G Ratio............................N/C.................1.4....................1.3
Bilirubin, Total.....................0.8..................0.7....................0.6
Alkaline Phosphatase, S........98...................85......................93
AST (SGOT)........................19...................14......................17
ALT (SGPT).........................42....................34......................39

Cholesterol, Total...............273...................170...................148
Triglycerides.......................559...................173..................125
HDL Cholesterol..................37.....................29....................36
VLDL Cholesterol Cal...........N/C..................34.6..................25.0
LDL Cholesterol Calc............N/C..................106...................87
T. Chol/HDL Ratio...............N/C.....................6.....................4

C-Reactive Protein, Cardiac 7.15..................2.46..................1.30

Needless to say, I'm ecstatic over these results. You can see a real progression from sick to healthy in 6 months!

Some of the more notable things:

* Metabolic Syndrome (insulin resistance) all gone!
* Diabetic sugar levels now low/normal. 45% drop in sugar!
* Lost 31% of my weight. From Obese to Normal weight!
* Total cholesterol dropped 46%
* Triglycerides dropped 78%
* CRP dropped 82%
* My Creatinine and eGFR are now in the normal range which indicates no more chronic kidney disease.
* Blood Pressure is way down - from 153/92 to 98/54 over 30% drop
* Resting Pulse is also way down from 88 to 46 almost 48% less!

And all of this just by changing the food I eat and doing a little walking :eek: :eek: :nod: No heavy exercise, no starvation, no counting calories or measuring out food portions. Just eating whole plant-based foods, as much as I wanted, when I wanted.

And I've still got weight to lose, so I expect these numbers to just continue to improve... I will take another test in 3 months and report back again!
geo

geo

Postby scooterpie » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:21 am

Such remarkable results--all credit to you for your consistency and InSpIrAtIoN!

Keep up the good work--as usual!
scooterpie

Postby WeeSpeck » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:30 pm

You just continue to impress!

What a HUGE inspiration you are for this way of eating.

Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us here on the McDougall boards.
--\--@ Nancy @--/--

I am but a wee speck in the big picture of the universe.
WeeSpeck

Postby shell-belle » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:32 pm

wow--fabulous! that's WONDERFUL. thanks for sharing!
shell-belle

Postby pundit999 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:14 pm

Wow! Excellent results! Your consistency is inspirational to new people like me. And thanks for sharing the details.
pundit999

Postby yarnpetter » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:12 pm

Congrats- you have worked hard for those numbers!
yarnpetter

Postby geo » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:44 am

Thanks everyone! As Jeff might say, constant and consistant application of the principles, guidelines and recommendations will result in optimal health. I live by that now as I know it works. It may take some time to see the results, but they will come! :nod:
geo

geo

Postby geo » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:09 am

Day 179

B: gluten free hot cereal with flax and cinnamon
herbal tea
L: baked potato and sweet potato
grapes
D: baked potato and basmati rice with mex veggies and salsa
mango and plum
S: bake potato

E: 90 mins walking - 10,778 steps. Total steps for day - 14,802 steps.

Great day today. Did my morning and evening walks with no issues. Weather was warm today, almost 90, but cooled off a lot in the evening. Had good energy and motivation was high.

Got my results of my bloodwork back and the numbers were great! I'm below that magic 150 cholesteral number and my trig's are finally in the normal range though still a little higher than I would like, but its all going in the right direction. My kidney function numbers are all normal now which is a big relief and my sugars are well under control if not just a tad low. The only number that I don't understand yet is the total carbon dioxide number has consistantly gone higher over the 6 months and is now just a tiny bit high. I need to look that one up. And finally my CRP keeps going down steadily. I still have some inflamation but it seems as I heal myself its gradually going away. All in all, my Metabolic Syndrome is now history and its never coming back! :nod:

I can only imagine how much better my numbers will be once I reach my goal BMI of at least 21.9. I have less than 20 lbs to go! With any luck I'll reach that in the next 3 months when I take my next bloodwork. :-D

Finally, took my dau to the community summer picnic today. WE spent about 2 hours at the pool and she had all the food they were serving...hamburgers and hot dogs and chips and cotton candy and sluchies and sodas and such. Me I ate my usual meal before we went and so wasn't tempted 8) By the end of the day though I was hungry and so had a snack of baked potatoes to fill me up :lol:

We spent the night washing clothes and packing up our bags for the trip tomorrow. 4 days away from home, lets see how I do with my diet ;-)
geo

geo

Postby geo » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:30 am

Day 180

S: apple
L: baked potato
grapes
D: SAD vegetarian meal

E: 45 mins walking - 5373 steps. Total steps for day - 10,649 steps

Good day today. Did my morning walk as usual with no issues. Had some breakfast then we loaded up the car to head out on our trip so didn't get anymore exercise per se in today. However we did walk around a good bit and was generally active.

Ate MWL for breakfast and lunch, however for dinner we went out to a nice restaurant that had nothing non-SAD available and wanting to enjoy the outing decided to just make the best of it with a SAD vegetarian meal. I could tell it was loaded with oil and dairy. And I'm suffering for it now. But I'm not fretting over it. Its not going to ruin anything, nor am I going to regain weight. It may slow my weight loss for a day but no big deal. This isn't a race, its a life style :) So tomorrows another day, and I suspect things will go the same and we'll make the best of it on this trip. Its far more important to enjoy our family time then it is to worry and stress about a meal :nod:

We ended up going to the water park last night where my dau really enjoyed playing. They had these 4 story tall water slides that she just loved. Tomorrow I'll go on them with her :-)
geo

geo

Postby geo » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:51 am

Day 181 - Week 26

Its been 25 complete weeks now and here are my latest numbers:

Weight: 179.0 down from: 180.4 started at: 261
BP: NA down from: 96/63 started at: 153/92
Pulse: NA down from: 46 started at: 88
BMI: 24.3 started at: 35.4

Total weight lost after 24 full weeks on MWL - 82 lbs!

Since I'm on vacation right now I don't have access to my scales or BP machine so those are blank this week. I did weigh myself on Sunday and thats whats reflected above. So not a lot was lost and I suspect this week will be a wash as I've been eating SAD vegertarian on vacation and suffering the results of it. But what I'm learning is that I don't need or even really want all that greasy food anymore. It doesn't taste that good and is causing me all sorts of intestinal issues right now. Fortunately only one more day of this and then its back to my normal MWL lifestyle. I'm also missing my walks and exercise. Never thought I'd say that :-)

S:SAD ice cream/waffle cone and 4 pieces licorice
D: SAD Veggie pizza and root beer soda

E: total steps for day - 6353 steps. Some water hoops as well.

Poor Day! Woke up with intestinal issues from the SAD meal I had before. This effected me all day. McDougall's revenge strikes again. It's really weird the way SAD food effects your body. And yet its what most everyone eats everyday. The body definitely learns how to compensate for it over time. Needless to say it doesn't make me happy or feeling good. I'm sick to my stomach all day and feeling tired and run down. Now I can't wait to get back home and my normal food!

We did a good bit of walking around the shops and spending money today. Wife and dau seemed to enjoy themselves a lot. We also went to the water park again and this time I played some water hoops and did the crazy tube slides with my dau. They are a lot of fun but did turn my stomach as well.

I enjoyed the wather but my wife and dau thought it was too hot :lol: It seems that McDougalling has really reset my internal thermostat so I no longer get really hot all the time. In fact I'm usually cold now in the early mornings and evenings which is really weird for me...but I do so like it :nod:

We also visited the arcade a few times as my dau seems to like that quite a bit. She ended up winning a large pair of fuzzy dice to hang up in her room as a memory of this place. So all in all it was a good fun time by all and other than my food issues everyone is happy :lol:
geo

geo

Postby geo » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:24 am

Day 182

S: plum
grapes
D: SAD vegetarian crap

E: no walking again. Total steps for day - 9,012 steps

Good day today. I wish there was some kind of walking path here as I'm eager to get my walking in. At least we spent all day walking around town and such and I did go for a little swimming and water hoops in the morning. So I got a little more active than expected. But nowhere near what I really wanted to do.

Once again I tried to stay 2/3 meals MWL and 1/3 SAD. But calorie wise, I'm betting it was just the oppisite or more :( Thankfully I've had my last sad food in a while. I don't plan on this again thats for sure. My stomach has been turning sommersaults for the past 2 days from the SAD food.

My body is just off and paying me back for the damage I've done it. Its very interesting how people can be on a McDougall Diet for a few months and then go back to SAD. I couldn't do it. I feel horrible right now and just want to feel good. I'm actually craving veggies which is really weird for me.

Oh well tomorrow we head back home a little more tired then we came, but its been fun and I think we all enjoyed ourselves a good bit...if not spending too much money :lol: I know I will enjoy my food and bed again, though not looking forward to going back to workand seeing how much has piled up for me the last few days. :crybaby:
geo

geo

Postby geo » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:01 am

Day 183

S: plum
L: baked potato and sweet potato
grapes
D: basmati rice with mex veggies and salsa
corn on the cob
S: SAD vegetarian - few pieces taffey candy

E: 44 mins walking - 5318 steps. Total steps for day - 9,149 steps.

Good day today. We got home in one piece and all was well. I was finally able to get my walk in last night and it felt great to do it! No problems with the exercise at all.

I'm still getting over the effects of the SAD I ate while on the trip. My digestive system is definitely rebeling against me. Fortunately, I was almost 100% MWL today :nod: So give it another day or two and I should be back to feeling normal again.

With the SAD I've eaten (and the extra calories that go with it) plus the lack of formal exercise, I've probably halted or reversed a bit my weight loss this week. But nothing to worry about, today I'm back down to earth and eating my normal meals. So a few days off should have nothing but a temporary, minor effect. :nod:

We were a bit tired when we got home so we did take a nap in the afternoon which really helped me a lot. Tomorrow I go back to work to catch up on a weeks worth :( I'm sure it will not be a fun day. Probably have about 500+ emails to go through as well.
geo

geo

Postby LaurieRD » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:50 am

Geo! Welcome home and welcome back to your healthy ways! Last week I actually read through your whole journal! Thank you for keeping it. I needed the inspiration, but I was also interested in learning something about the kind of personality that can stick to your eating and exercise plan as you have. (I'm a dietitian and I am always looking for insight into my patients)

You're an engineer, yes? So would you say something like, "Convince me that these parameters and guidelines are true and I will stay inside them with very little straying." ???? And then you just do, because you decided to?

Some folks have more emotional issues going on which require different responses and a different kind of encouragement. But whenever I see an engineer-type, I know I can offer a plan with reasons and they'll follow it!

I hope you quickly feel your (new) old self again with your comfortable healthy food!

Laurie
Nourishing your body is a non-negotiable priority.
LaurieRD

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals