Psoriatic Arthritis Journal - 2.5 year Update Page 63

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Psoriatic Arthritis Journal - 2.5 year Update Page 63

Postby lmggallagher » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:12 pm

Hey Nicole:

How you doing?

I love all the crazy and not so crazy things you post. I am sending the art nerd crib sheet to all my high school girl friends. Senior year at the Catholic girls school included two semesters of Fine Arts. If we had only had this crib sheet, I would have got an A+. After that I got to tour Europe with nuns, oh joy, and see those same pretty terrifying paintings in the flesh, so to speak, in various museums and churches thither and yon. I swear when I get Alzheimer's ( hopefully McDougaller's don't) I will still ace fine arts flash cards :shock:

The animal rights "cartoons" are brilliant. I especially have a place in my heart for the women hunter series - I can't believe that it's a new fad to get women in to big game hunting. I heard it stated by a representative of the National Football League that if just something like 3% of parents refuse to let their kids play football - now that the word is out finally about all the brain damage that can happen - the sport is doomed. We vegans are now 3% of the populations I hope that's our tipping point for getting folks to come this direction - meanwhile, a little black humor goes pretty far in convincing folks that there is something really wrong with how we have been living. Thanks for sharing!
lmggallagher

Postby nicoles » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:04 pm

Hi Michelle! Thanks for the visit! :D
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby nicoles » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:17 pm

Well Into Year Three!

Looks like (if my month-math is correct) I am about 3 and 1/4 years into eating this way.

So! What's new?

It is hard to quantify here, how I continue to improve. There is a quality of "feeling well" that evades definition, you just sort of know you are feeling well, or you know that you aren't. It is fairly invisible to the casual outside observer. At any rate, I generally feel well, rather than not-well. In fact I generally feel VERY well. :-D

Definite, Clear Positives:

My cyclical psoriasis is no longer with me (PMS-related)

My cyclical joint pain is abating significantly.

FINALLY my pms is lessening in horrible-ness (rest and regular exercise perhaps the cause of this?)

I can exercise daily and am building muscle, without negative joint repercussions.

My strength and aerobic capacity are increasing.

My weight is stable.

I have more energy and concentration for things I like to do, not just for things I have to do.

Definite, Continued Limitations

I need regular, amply adequate sleep to feel well.

I must eat on plan 100% to feel well.

Too much stress, bad OR good in nature, will tire me out.

Ignoring being tired will lead to problems.

So all in all, I am a happy camper. This diet-healing stuff takes time, and is not linear, and I am overall glad to be this far along rather than just starting, but boy o boy am I glad I found this site and made the big lifestyle changes. :-D

My Journal
nicoles

Postby jamietwo » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:57 pm

Nicole, I am SO happy for you! You have worked so hard for your amazing results, and you deserve to feel good! :D
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby Lesliec1 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:55 am

Nicole! Nothing better than reading about your progress. You are the biggest rock star here because your disease is so stubborn and you are still beating it!

Please consider this suggestion: email Dr. M just to tell him of your success so far. I know you are so humble and don't want to toot your own horn, plus I know you're thinking you have so far to go still but...

I just decided I should email Dr. M with a quick "thank you" email. I basically said, I'm not cured and I haven't been perfect on this diet BUT the fact is that I am now off drugs and now can do this and this....etc. (just a quick then vs now progress report.)

He was SO happy to hear about it. Said it made his day etc. Also said perfection doesn't matter. It's all about results. (So that made me feel good because sometimes I feel like a pathetic loser for not being perfect.)

Anyway, that's my plea for you to email him. It would be great for him and also you need to hear from "the man" how awesome you are. You are the best role model ever. We are so lucky that you share your story. I can't imagine how many people you have helped.
Lesliec1

Postby nicoles » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:23 am

Hi J2 and Leslie!

Jamietwo, thank you so much. I know it is hard where you are right now, and even still you take time to check in with me! Your support means so much to me. :-D

Leslie, thank you for telling me about your email to Dr McD! That is so nice of you to have done and I think you are right, I should let him know. He definitely deserves to hear about how helpful he has been to so many people, he has been so generous with us.

Happy Sunday/Easter to all!

My Journal
nicoles

Postby lmggallagher » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:20 am

Hi NIcole:

So great to see your update on improvements - so motivational for me and of course I am over the moon that it's working out so well for you!

Again we are so similar - it's imperative for both of us that we eat on the program, get sleep (lots of it consistently) and exercise ( but without going to the point where it can be a problem). Not to mention keeping the stress down as much as possible and doing things that are stress reducers or getting relaxation in too.

That sounds just like a good prescription for anyone, but for us it's just MANDATORY to have a complete daily balance.

I think though for both of us there is a component missing in your write up and that is the foods we have found that are triggers to our symptoms. These are things that add to our symptom load that just don't bother other folks and for us the problems experienced from eating them can be really game stoppers.

In my case, I am going to have to double test all my foods from the ED I am on because in some cases the symptoms from eating them are subtle and in others I simply am in denial that like broccoli can cause me so much pain! Anyway, I do think you have done a ton with tweaking food that you aren't taking credit for above. Now that I know just how hard doing ED's are - I really think you should take credit for doing that laborious and occasionally painful work too and maybe tell us about a few of your culprits - now gone - that are helping make your life better!

That said - I applaud the idea Leslie had about you writing Dr. McD. You have worked really hard at this and are a gleaming example about how food matters. Plus, I really don't think it's out there much (though I know you have tried) that this WOE can help Psoratic Arthritis this way.

I am also glad that she said Dr. McD isn't one to beat us up over some slips here and there - would that our bodies were so forgiving :lol: :lol: :lol:

xoxoxo - Michelle
lmggallagher

Postby nicoles » Thu May 08, 2014 9:36 am

Michelle! I know what you mean about being in denial that such a healthy food can be a problem! :lol: It is hard to wrap the mind around at times, that's for sure!

Leslie, I took your advice, and I am writing to thank Dr McDougall, and I also put up a Testimonial in that section of the boards.

xoxo

Nicole

My Journal
nicoles

Postby jamietwo » Fri May 09, 2014 2:22 pm

nicoles wrote:I also put up a Testimonial in that section of the boards.

Yea! I can't wait to read it! You are definitely a Star McDougaller in my book (and an official one soon, I'll bet! :nod: )!
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby Starch Chick » Thu May 15, 2014 10:53 pm

nicoles wrote:Well Into Year Three!

Looks like (if my month-math is correct) I am about 3 and 1/4 years into eating this way.

So! What's new?

It is hard to quantify here, how I continue to improve. There is a quality of "feeling well" that evades definition, you just sort of know you are feeling well, or you know that you aren't. It is fairly invisible to the casual outside observer. At any rate, I generally feel well, rather than not-well. In fact I generally feel VERY well. :-D

Definite, Clear Positives:

My cyclical psoriasis is no longer with me (PMS-related)

My cyclical joint pain is abating significantly.

FINALLY my pms is lessening in horrible-ness (rest and regular exercise perhaps the cause of this?)

I can exercise daily and am building muscle, without negative joint repercussions.

My strength and aerobic capacity are increasing.

My weight is stable.

I have more energy and concentration for things I like to do, not just for things I have to do.

Definite, Continued Limitations

I need regular, amply adequate sleep to feel well.

I must eat on plan 100% to feel well.

Too much stress, bad OR good in nature, will tire me out.

Ignoring being tired will lead to problems.

So all in all, I am a happy camper. This diet-healing stuff takes time, and is not linear, and I am overall glad to be this far along rather than just starting, but boy o boy am I glad I found this site and made the big lifestyle changes. :-D

Hi Nicole
What a great post. I'm so happy you have seen such gains in health and I loved your comment
There is a quality of "feeling well" that evades definition,

I see you posted in the testimonial section. What an inspiration to others to give this way of eating a try
Keep up the good work
.....Beth
"It's the food" - Dr McDougall
Starch Chick

Postby lmggallagher » Tue May 27, 2014 3:22 pm

Hi NIcole:

I was thrilled to read your "Success Story" today, just completely thrilled and you look great in that yoga pose BTW!

Frankly, everyone here is a hero to me: no matter where we are on this journey we got here and are steadfast at keeping with it.

However, in terms of motivation that speaks to me - those here to trying over come some of the most debilitating conditions are those that have my fullest attention. You are the top of that pinnacle to me :)

You have been so generous in sharing everything you have learned and I credit you for getting me on the FODMAPS ED too. It turns out that food intolerances likely play really a big role in these super stubborn, painful and fatiguing disorders. I think without that clue from you I wouldn't be able to say I am not there yet but I now know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel - I just hope that when I get there I can eat more than 6 foods ;-)

Love you and am so very happy for you - Michelle
lmggallagher

Postby mhclarke » Wed May 28, 2014 4:54 pm

Hi Nicole, I have had psoriatic arthritis for over 3 years now, found McDougall 9 weeks ago, started the diet and was feeling better right away, stopped my injections for 6 weeks, the pain started to return so much I started injections again, reading your story looks like I had written it, the pain is moving, doctors tell me diet has nothing to do with it, I feel lost now trying to cut foods out, it seemed at the start like I would feel way better by now, I just saw your story today and how long it took you to feel cured. I can't find how to send messages to you but I would like to talk.
mhclarke

Postby nicoles » Wed May 28, 2014 10:22 pm

HI MHClarke!

I am so glad you contacted me here! You can do private messages here by clicking on my username above any post I have written on the thread. This will take you to my profile page, where there is a click-able "Contact nicoles" which takes you to PMs.

I'd love to talk in more depth for sure, but since you mentioned feeling better and then stopping your meds, then feeling worse, I wanted to mention some relevant info on that. I have been in touch over the last three years with a few other people with PsA who used some variation of a plant-based diet to get results - most through Dr Fuhrman's site. Some of them stopped meds after feeling better and then felt worse again, and all of them managed to get better eventually either by going back on the meds and tapering off, or staying off the meds and pushing through the pain, although both can take a very long time. That is essentially what I did - went off and pushed through. But there was SERIOUS PAIN involved in the pushing through and I am not saying that is what you should do, just letting you know my experience. Anyway, it seems as though some of the rebound pain from going off meds might have to do with your body processing out the medications themselves, and reacting to it. But let's talk more!

Nicole

My Journal
nicoles

Postby ElizHC » Thu May 29, 2014 9:10 am

I'd love to talk to both of you! I also have PA and have been struggling with it for years. Another joint on my left hand is fusing and I'm really trying hard to get this all into remission.

I am tempted to start my own PA Journal here, but don't know where or if it would just be another place for people to have to go to have the same conversations. Ideas?

e.
ElizHC

Postby fulenn » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:59 am

Nicole! Congratulations, you shining STAR!! Image

Thank you for sharing with so many people by publicly becoming a Star McDougaller! People need to hear about this, often, so it becomes the new norm.

So glad you continue to do well,

Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals