Psoriatic Arthritis Journal - 2.5 year Update Page 63

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Psoriatic Arthritis Journal

Postby Lesliec1 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:46 am

Nicole, what do you think of coffee enemas? Have you read much on both sides? I was wondering if I should try it (since it's cheap) but I haven't heard much about whether or not it's safe.
Lesliec1

Postby nicoles » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:58 am

Hi Moonwatcher - yes, I'll take definitely relatively better than before, too! progress is progress after all. :-D

Hey Leslie,

I don't know much about coffee enemas. I have heard about them, mostly glowing anecdotal testimonies, and I did read a couple of studies that suggested that they are effective for pain relief in cancer patients (maybe in other kinds of patients, too, but cancer patients with extreme pain and advanced cancer were the subjects of the studies.)

I have also read things about people getting addicted to them and one woman dying as a result, although she was doing something like 20 coffee enemas a day, so that could be the main reason. I have not been able to find any evidence that they were harmful, or that they were harmless, that I trusted 100% at least.

I have not written them off as something to try, but I am not really sure about them either. I'd like to say they are safer than other kinds of pain treatments, but I don't really know if they are. they are a big mystery.

I wish someone would study them officially, so we could put it all to rest one way or the other! But I guess not much money would be made off of them if they were effective, so perhaps it will not ever happen.
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby Lesliec1 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:38 pm

I did just read something from a link on one of the threads that warned against it for people with colitis. So that lets me out. I would never risk another colitis attack for anything. Oh well.
Lesliec1

Postby nicoles » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:22 pm

Well there ya go! They probably are not all that much fun anyway.

My Journal
nicoles

Postby Lesliec1 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:02 am

What's going on? You feeling OK? Don't post if you're busy. Just wondering how the post fast is treating you.
Lesliec1

Postby nicoles » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:44 am

Hi Leslie, thanks for checking in! Doing OK, just super busy - lots to catch up on. I'll post more soon when I have time.

My Journal
nicoles

Postby nicoles » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:31 pm

Sad today. Found out of an old friend's death. She died more than a year ago, but we had lost touch. The end of this month would have been her 49th birthday.

She was an exceptionally sweet and kind person, very supportive of others, perhaps even at her own expense. I am just so sad to hear of her death. I'm not sure what she passed away from, but my guess is cancer, based on some vague information.

My Journal
nicoles

Postby moonwatcher » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:12 pm

Oh Nicole, I am so sorry to hear this. It's such a sad thing to find out about. I am sorry for the loss of your friend. Sending you my sympathy and a hug.

xoxo

moonwatcher
Please join me at my new blog Plant-Based Slow Motion Miracle

http://fatfreevegan.com/slowmiracle/

Or visit my journal, Moonwatcher's Slow Motion Miracle, on this site. Before and after pictures on page 4.
moonwatcher

Postby Lesliec1 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:02 am

So sorry to hear! Take care.
Lesliec1

Postby nicoles » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:11 am

Thanks Ladies! Means a lot to me.

I did find out what she had. Stomach cancer. And it was misdiagnosed as irritable bowel by her GP for a long time, which is sad but then again I don't think stomach cancer in general is easy to treat nor does it have a good prognosis, but I could be wrong.

Talked to another old friend about it last night. She'd meant to go see her, but did not get a chance until she was really far gone (our friend had moved back home to her folks' for hospice care so she was a good 12 hour drive away from where we lived). She said the last time they spoke was on the phone and she was on a lot of medications and was not doing well nor was she cognitively all there. She felt really bad about that. I understand, although she could not have known.

Ack. Life is really unfair sometimes, or at least it seems that way. It is one thing for me to see the silver lining on my own problems, but I feel awkward about the idea of designating a good meaning to someone else's suffering and untimely death. So I am just stuck on how unfair it was for her to die young and suffer immensely. She was truly one of the kindest people I ever met.

My Journal
nicoles

Postby nicoles » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:38 pm

Having a better day today. Nice thing about living in Los Angeles, when things get you down, just go outside, it's gorgeous.

Also, this status update from a friend on FB just cracked me up:

"When people have been on a vacation to an exotic place and they come back and say they are getting back to reality-----I wonder if their reality is the same as mine-------Staring into the gutter of Canal Street and walking around with a nice bag of cat litter." :lol:

Anyway, I have been listening a lot to these podcasts on the Weston Price Foundation, just because I am curious. As always, I wonder, what do they base their "Wisdom" on? I never see the evidence, aside from anecdotal stuff.

My Journal
nicoles

Postby moonwatcher » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:31 pm

Hi Nicole,

Thanks for all you shared here about your friend and your thoughts on all of this. And so glad to hear you are having a better day. I laughed at the quote. Weston Price? You are a brave girl indeeed. :)

xoxo

moonwatcher

Or visit my journal, Moonwatcher's Slow Motion Miracle, on this site. Before and after pictures on page 4.
moonwatcher

Postby nicoles » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:56 pm

:) Hey Moonwatcher.

Yeah, Weston Price stuff...they are all so convinced that it is true, but I am not convinced. I am not convinced that there is no value to some things I may not do or eat now, either, but I like to have some evidence that I trust.

I listened to a talk by this one woman who is a scientist, but not in the field of nutrition or biology, and it was so weird - she was justifying things based on her preferences (I like beer and butter, therefore they are good for me!) and also making things up on the fly, as she went along and even saying so, then presenting them later in her presentation as factual arguments to support other points.

My Journal
nicoles

Postby nicoles » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:57 pm

True or not, this is a nice idea

My Journal
nicoles

Postby moonwatcher » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:18 pm

I think it's true, or some version of it is true. All I have to do is listen. That can be the tricky part. :)

Thanks for posting this. :)

xoxo

moonwatcher

moonwatcher

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals