Psoriatic Arthritis Journal - 2.5 year Update Page 63

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Psoriatic Arthritis Journal

Postby nicoles » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:28 pm

I hear ya Leslie. I can't say fasting is easy, but it is manageable for me, for whatever reason. And not as hard as it sounds. But still, not easy! (Does it sounds like I can't make up my mind right now? :lol: just don't talk to me about food or recipes and all will be grand. ;-) )

It is definitely not for everyone though. And I think the same benefits happen eating the way we do, just a bit more slowly. So no great loss if you aren't up for it.
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby Lesliec1 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:13 am

How long are you going to fast?

Hey, maybe some day for me! I never close doors. Obviously I want to be able to fast or I would never have attempted it. Makes sense to just give your poor body some time off from digesting, among other things.

Maybe even meditation some day which I know I need... I can dream.
Lesliec1

Postby nicoles » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:42 am

Hey Leslie. This morning is the beginning of day three and I am planning on four days total, so I'll break the fast tomorrow night or Saturday morning.

Did you actually do 2 or3 days? That's a decent fast then. You can do it after all ;-)

My Journal
nicoles

Postby nicoles » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:30 am

Fasting still. This morning is day three. I have found a doctor who is willing to supervise my fasts, otherwise I would not be so quick to do one, because fasting can be weird. :lol:

And through this doctor I have learned some things that I think are very interesting and true to my experience.

For instance, yesterday I had a sore throat for about an hour that then mysteriously disappeared. Apparently this is normal, to have symptoms that look like illness or may be even the controversial detox, that later resolve.

And yesterday I was belching a lot, and not, as my mother suggested because I was, "desperately gulping down air because I was so hungry" :lol: (my mother is adorable, even though she hates to be thought of that way. But I get that she'd be concerned so I have to call every day to prove I am OK)

Anyway, the doctor said that belching is common when the liver is dumping bile full of irritants into the small intestine, and that it is likely a positive sign that my body is dealing with retained wastes.

Also interesting to learn is that is might take many cumulative days of fasting to resolve issues like autoimmune disease. Meaning that doing repeated short fasts of 2-3 days, once every 6-8 weeks, is as (or more) helpful as doing one long fast of something like 10-15 days, and safer to boot.

Also significant is never to fast when vitamin or mineral deficiencies are present, especially vitamin d and b12, but really any of them.

Which brings me to something interesting I found out about yesterday, which relates to something I read in The Autoimmune Epidemic.

I was noodling online and came acrossthe blog of a young Australian woman who was blogging about battling her cancer diagnosis through the Gerson Therapy as I was looking for information about healing and stress and specifically meditaitions for healing and stress relief.(she has a vey interesting interview on ger site with an Australian man who had cancer and is healed and leads retreats)

Anyway, I noodled around on her site, partially because I have always been curious as to what the Gerson Therapy entails, but mostly because she is a very engaging writer with a fascinating story, and I came across this interview about Nutritional Genomic Testing.

Basically, in The Autoimmune Epidemic, I had read about a genetic test that showed that certain women with a defect in a gene, or a missing gene or something like that, had higher levels of retained pesticides after exposure that other women who had a gene fully intact to deal with processing that particular chemical group.(the authors point was that there are safe levels set for different chemicals based on the idea that we all process chemicals the same, which we do not)

In the video, the doctor tells the blogger that she has many genetic defects that lead to her not getting rid of toxins she is exposed to, and theorizes that this is why her body created cancer.

I don't have a point exactly right now, but it is interesting.
P.s. I apologize for any typos-I am using an ipad and it is too much of a pain to figure out how to fix the, right now. I am just proud I got the links in! :lol:

ETA: I guess I do have appoint after all. After doing more noodling and reading this article on Nutrigenomics I have come to the conclusion that getting a DNA test is expensive, has privacy issues and is therefore not helpful, but getting my vitamin levels checked twice a year and supplementing or altering my diet as necessary based in the tests, might very well be, in case I have a DNA defect that makes it hard for me to store a vitamin or something.

Not that I am saying anyone else should do this, just something I am curious about experimenting with for me.

My Journal
nicoles

Postby Lesliec1 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:37 pm

I did it for 3 days once and didn't feel like it was enough but couldn't go on.
Lesliec1

Postby eri » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:34 pm

Lesliec1 wrote:I'm so envious of the ability to fast. I'd have to pay someone to lock me up.

:shock: :lol: :shock: :lol: Leslie, you have me rolling over here!!

Yes. I do not know how people fast. I really wonder if it would help me. Too bad I'll never know.

OMG I am laughing so hard I am almost teary! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I guess I will chime in with my experiences. In my younger (dumber) days, I did the Master Cleanse fast. Scroll to the middle of this page for details. I wasn't really doing it to lose weight, but more to detox & give my system a break. I did it twice for 10 days each.

Of course, this is kind of like a juice fast, not a real water fast. The second time was much easier than the first & even though I wouldn't do MC again, I could see myself fasting for real in the future. I am crazy though, I watched food network & went to restaurants with my friends while on MC. This was all pre-fibro if I remember correctly. I wonder how it would be to do it now, the right way.
eri

Postby nicoles » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:47 pm

Wow, Eri, that master cleanse thing sounds really intense!

I was just stopping in to share this link of poems by cats which might only be funny if you have had a pet cat.

Yeah, fasting in general is intense. I think part of the reason that I am able to do it is that I like a bit of drama and doing Intense things. All or nothin kinda gal. ;-)

Why did the ipad make the word intense above capitalized in the first letter? Why won't it let me change it? I may never know...

My Journal
nicoles

Postby nicoles » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:40 am

Still fasting. It is kind of boring to tell you the truth. Not hungry, kinda tired, just reading and watching movies.

My sense of smell is crazy good, but that only means I can really tell what my downstairs neighbors are having for breakfast: coffee, bacon, toast and eggs! They are regular cowboys, I tell ya.

My Journal
nicoles

Postby nicoles » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:02 am

What is it, like March is psoriatic arthritis month? There are two other posts up today from people with PsA. That never happens!

Everyone in my family's birthday is in March. Except mine. I gotta get cracking on the cards. :eek:

My Journal
nicoles

Postby Lesliec1 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:40 am

Cool! I saw one. Are there other "long timers" with PsA like you?
Lesliec1

Postby Lesliec1 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:42 am

and if you're lying around, go to youtube and look for an animation called "Runway Reversal." I thought the artwork was really cool and mysterious. It's an anti-fur piece but it's not gross at all. Just cool and artistic.
Lesliec1

Postby nicoles » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:02 pm

Nope, both new.

That video was great! Ugh. Fur. Why?!?!

this is an interesting article related to the gut and saturated fat

I wonder if it applies as well to saturated fats in coconut oil and milk and meat?

My Journal
nicoles

Postby Lesliec1 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:33 am

Yes, interesting article. Hadn't heard of the sulphur thing before.

So it says "the bacteria's waste can damage the intestinal walls" which I assume means leaky gut. Right? I think I'm a little unclear on what exactly causes leaky gut. (I know processed food etc makes the intestinal lining porous but I forget how exactly.)
Last edited by Lesliec1 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lesliec1

Postby PineappleTraci » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:53 am

Hi nicoles!

Are you still fasting? I think fasting can be a wonderful experience -- did one last march (10 or 12 days maybe? I don't remember), then found this WOE.

While I was lying around letting my body "heal" (or suffer -- I guess we can't say for sure till there are better studies), I read and watched about other people's fasts. Some links for you:

http://personalexcellence.co/blog/fasting-series/
http://www.youtube.com/user/yogayak/videos?query=fast

You will post a little about your experience, I hope? Sending kind thoughts and good energy your way!
PineappleTraci

Postby nicoles » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:58 am

Hey Leslie, yeah I think that leads to leaky gut, or at least impaired immune function, since so much of our immune system lives in or executes functions in the gut. I am still trying to really get the whole leaky gut thing too. I know I read somewhere that impaired gut flora can lead to fungus and infected areas in the small crevasses of the intestinal villi, and that can cause permeability in the intestinal lining.

My Journal
nicoles

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals