Psoriatic Arthritis Journal - 2.5 year Update Page 63

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Psoriatic Arthritis Journal

Postby Lesliec1 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:18 pm

moonwatcher wrote:I have known about and wrestled with these things over the years and more.But gee, sometimes we can control them, or clean, sometimes we can't.

haha Yes, a million times true!!! Sometimes I make myself looney. Is there black mold behind that wall? What about the carpet fibers? Oh no, there's a pile of leaves by the door. I know they are snickering at me waiting to release their mold spores when i pass by. Oy! But then again, I really do feel the effects when I rake leaves outside. So how crazy should we be exactly?

Alas, I'm not a great housekeeper. I'll never win any awards for a clean house. (Then again I don't know of any.)

I have to say that reading the China Study helped a lot. Especially that peanut butter in the Philippines story. (Kids ate toxic peanut butter but only the ones who also ate meat & dairy died.)
Lesliec1

Postby nicoles » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:53 pm

:lol: Leslie :lol:

Yeah I have been in a little of a panic recently about it all. Gotta relax, man! Also, I read The Autoimmune Epidemic the other day, and THAT can't have helped.

Good point about The China Study, Leslie. And I guess the leaves could just be allergies, maybe?

I am not much of a housekeeper, either. Might be why it got so dusty. My DH is really good - he'd hand-wipe the ceiling fans clean every week if he had the chance. But we worked it out that I do most of it since I don't have the steady job, so the house has suffered.
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby Lesliec1 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:02 am

nicoles wrote:My DH is really good - he'd hand-wipe the ceiling fans clean every week if he had the chance.

Color me impressed! I'm grateful that my husband doesn't act like he notices the dust. I actually don't know if he cares that I'm a bad cleaner or not. I'm not about to ask any time soon.

It's a funny subject and also so important and confusing. I seriously don't know how concerned I should be with environmental things attacking me. For me, because I was "put through the ringer" by natural docs, the pendulum has swung the other way and now I turn my back on all that and focus on food exclusively. But not like that's OK either ... It's just that I think "what am I supposed to do about it all?" Being concerned about that and working on it has never helped me in the past. Anyway, I'm sure by now you realize I'm in a constant state of confusion about my health.

I also think we "stay at home people" have too much time to think and read!
Lesliec1

Postby nicoles » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:49 am

Moonwatcher - I get what you meant by the italics. I really like the image of waiting for a train and not knowing when it is due, but knowing it will come. :-D

Lesliec1 wrote:I also think we "stay at home people" have too much time to think and read!
:lol: Too true!

Lesliec1 wrote:For me, because I was "put through the ringer" by natural docs, the pendulum has swung the other way and now I turn my back on all that and focus on food exclusively. But not like that's OK either ... It's just that I think "what am I supposed to do about it all?"

If you don't mind my asking, what kind of ringers were you put through?

I know I tried to avoid all that by focusing exclusively on the diet right off the bat, but then again there might be something to some of it. How would I know? How much do they even know? Etc. But so many things seem like snake oil, really expensive snake oil, that I am wary. But occasionally intrigued.

I know what you mean about the constant state of worry about your health. I wasn't really that way for awhile, until recently, now that I am stressed about a lot of other things and not doing as well physically. And I guess I am more anxiously seeking answers lately, so the worry has increased. Chicken and egg, perhaps.

Anyway, to make myself feel better today I first read this (which starts to be fun around # 18)

And then this (the comments, the comments!)

Looked at some really tiny cool art

And reminded myself of this:

My Journal
nicoles

Postby nicoles » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:59 am

So the pain levels are high enough and only rising that I decided to do a short water fast starting today. I may or may not be on the pc in the next couple of days, we'll see.

My Journal
nicoles

Postby nicoles » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:03 pm

Also isn't this cool? it is a bottle sculpture in Brazil:

And this is it at night:

My Journal
nicoles

Postby Lesliec1 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:01 pm

Those fish are shockingly beautiful. I'll look at the other fun stuff later plus I saw the coolest animation. I need to find it and send it to you.

Yes, my "ringer." I should really write all this down some day so I don't forget it all. The important thing to know that I REALLY respected both docs so I do not mean to imply anything shady. Both touched on the best way to eat but it was just a footnote, even though the second one was vegan! I think she felt she wouldn't have clients if she crammed that down people's throats. Can't blame her. Anyway, here is my short list from memory of things I've done but I'm probably forgetting a ton. Just ask for clarifications:

vitamins, enzymes, supplements too many to list right here. At one point it was up to $800 per month. This was the main part of treatment for each doc.
natural estrogen and progesterone (Wiley protocol)
hair test
stool test
food allergy blood test
blood tests for various
hcg (for joints, not weight loss)
accupuncture
trigger point massage
FAR infra red sauna
clay baths
chiropractor
"Activator" type chiropractor (this is the ONE thing that was good)
Active Release Therapy
Lesliec1

Postby Lesliec1 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:02 pm

You must be so upset about the pain levels. I really feel for you.
Lesliec1

Postby moonwatcher » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:15 pm

Good luck with the fast, Nicole, if you decide to go with it.

Those fish are absolutely amazing!! Thanks for posting them.

Sending you gentleness and relief. Loved the "be kind" sign, too. :)

Haven't gotten to the rest. I am plugging through a lot of stuff here, and am not feeling that great myself. A bit fibro-y, so taking it easy. Weather, stress, ya know. :)

Leslie, that's quite a ringer indeed. You sure have been through it, too.

xoxo

moonwatcher
Please join me at my new blog Plant-Based Slow Motion Miracle

http://fatfreevegan.com/slowmiracle/

Or visit my journal, Moonwatcher's Slow Motion Miracle, on this site. Before and after pictures on page 4.
moonwatcher

Postby Debbie » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:23 pm

EEK! Sorry youre not feeling good. Good luck with the fast. I really hope it works.
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby nicoles » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:44 am

Bummer I just wrote a whole post then accidentally deleted it. Still not used to typing on DH's ipad.

Anyhow, thanks for that list, Leslie. It's crazy! I have questions, I will ask later. If that is OK.

Thanks Moonwatcher. I do hope you feel better Soon or at least that there is a better "better" on the other side of the fibro flare.

Thanks Debbie. I am feeling pretty good now.

I did decide to fast. It is so crazy. By the middle of the day yesterday my sinuses had cleared and the lingering headache from the dust left. Then by last night, a lot of the pain was greatly reduced. Today it is even better. So it is nice to rest without pain.

Of course, some of that usually returns when I begin eating again, but according to Dr. Fuhrman, the detoxification pathways rev up or clear or something like that, post-fast, so in a few weeks the pain should reduce further. That is how is has gone for me in the past.

My Journal
nicoles

Postby moonwatcher » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:10 am

Hi Nicole,

I am glad to hear the fast turned things around. You are intrepid.

I have been reflecting on how without fasting, but with being very careful of what I eat, I seem to go through these times when I "eliminate" toxins. I ache all over, feel like I have a mild case of the flu, and my gut seems to working eliminate stuff that wants to "stick" to it. I call it my fibro-flu-detox, for lack of a better term. I suspect, like my doctor suspects from research he's read, that fibro is caused by a virus. Because when bugs are going around, I dont' seem to get much of the current one, but I can get a resurrection of this same thing. And then I work through it, and feel quite better. I am almost there now. Perhaps this time the trigger was walking a long distance in the snow and getting too cold and a bit wet. It may carry a very mild "cold" with it, but it always comes with my "FFD." :lol: :lol: I'm not sure this makes any sense to anyone else, but thought I'd share it just in case.

Anyway, I, too, am on the mend. And have posted my good news on my blog. :)

Big hugs and kudos to both of us, for making it through!! :lol: :lol:

xoxo

moonwatcher
Please join me at my new blog Plant-Based Slow Motion Miracle

http://fatfreevegan.com/slowmiracle/

Or visit my journal, Moonwatcher's Slow Motion Miracle, on this site. Before and after pictures on page 4.
moonwatcher

Postby Lesliec1 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:13 pm

I'm so envious of the ability to fast. I'd have to pay someone to lock me up.
Lesliec1

Postby nicoles » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:25 pm

Hi Moonwatcher-so glad to hear you are coming out of the other side of that flare up, with great news greeting you,too !

Leslie do you mean they'd have to lock you up because you'd have such a hard time not eating?

My Journal
nicoles

Postby Lesliec1 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:31 pm

Yes. I do not know how people fast. I MAYBE have made it 2-3 days and then I start eating the moulding off my house. I really wonder if it would help me. Too bad I'll never know.
Lesliec1

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals