Suggestion for comment

Give us your thoughts on the latest McDougall mailings here

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve

Suggestion for comment

Postby dannyw13 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:00 pm

I wouldn't mind hearing an opinion on the "Michael Phelps" Diet :-)
---
Here’s Phelps’s typical menu. (No, he doesn’t choose among these options. He eats them all, according to the Post.)

Breakfast: Three fried-egg sandwiches loaded with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions and mayonnaise. Two cups of coffee. One five-egg omelet. One bowl of grits. Three slices of French toast topped with powdered sugar. Three chocolate-chip pancakes.

Lunch: One pound of enriched pasta. Two large ham and cheese sandwiches with mayo on white bread. Energy drinks packing 1,000 calories.

Dinner: One pound of pasta. An entire pizza. More energy drinks.

http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2008/08/13/ ... t-at-home/
dannyw13

Postby starchcurious » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:36 pm

I'd sound silly if I said it didn't seem to be working for him, but it was mentioned elsewhere on the forum that he might face more potential problems later on than if he cut out some of the saturated fat and protein now.

I wish I could swim regularly, but there's no good pool where I live. When I used to swim regularly, I got an enormous benefit from just eating a high carbohydrate meal like pasta than if I ate something with a lot of fat or protein, like a hamburger. I see he eats a lot ( :shock: ) of pasta, but I wonder if instead of throwing in things like chocolate chip pancakes or omelets, or egg sandwiches with cheese, he'd be better off with less hazardous foods that have a similar amount of calories. Who knows what he might be able to do if his blood flow was that much more efficient and clean.
starchcurious

Postby momof4 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:42 pm

starchcurious wrote: Who knows what he might be able to do if his blood flow was that much more efficient and clean.

I wondered the exact same thing!
People don't care what you know until they know that you care.
momof4

Postby Melinda » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:26 pm

I would like to know what his cholesterol levels are, and also what his arteries look like! Remember James Fixx?
Melinda

Postby starchcurious » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:41 pm

Melinda wrote:I would like to know what his cholesterol levels are, and also what his arteries look like! Remember James Fixx?

*googles*
EEP! I'd never heard of this guy. Geez, now I'm really worried for Phelps.

:(

Edit: I'd love to be able to email my family a McDougall commentary about Phelps, since he's so popular right now... I think people need to know that a dangerous diet is still dangerous no matter how many gold medals you have. It'd also be a great slap in the face to the promoters of the myth that all you have to do is exercise to keep your arteries clean.
starchcurious

Postby momof4 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:54 am

Phelps is one of the athletes who agreed to participate in "super testing," where they're being checked for more substances--I'm not exactly sure how that works.

It'd be great if one of the doctors--McDougall/Esselstyn/Barnard offered to do some thorough labs on the top athletes, not for drug use, but for HEALTH! I'm sure it would be a wake-up call for many!
People don't care what you know until they know that you care.
momof4

Postby Faith in DC » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:56 am

Let's just hope after the olympics he gets to a clean diet. Can you imagine how long it takes to eat all that?
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby starchcurious » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:41 pm

His appetite probably knows no bounds, so it actually might not take long at all!
starchcurious

Postby starchcurious » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:36 am

In case you needed a visual:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... haelphelps

Check out the photo gallery. :shock:
starchcurious

Return to Comments on Latest Newsletter or Star McDougaller