Just getting started

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Just getting started

Postby rmartyce » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:01 am

Hello all. I have so many questions. I have been binging on of the vegan doctor's and dietitian's youtube videos for the last three weeks. At that time, I made a commitment to going vegan and removing all oil from my diet. I have been doing ok with vegan, but did consume some oil eating out at a vegan restaurant.

With that start, for the last 2.5 weeks, I have not lost any weight. I know... I should focus on health, but I'm being realistic. I want to lose weight. I am 53 yo, 5"5" and I weight 220. I want to lose 75 lbs.

Can someone tell me how long it takes to start seeing some progress? I am fine with loosing slowly, but I would like to be losing something. I have tried every diet under the sun, but can not sustain them. From raw to 1200 calorie fruit, to Atkins, you name it. I don't want to do the fad or extreme diets anymore, but sometimes I feel like my body is alien and won't release the weight.

Also, I am fine eating potatoes and rice as long at it has some gravy or something wet on it. I made the McDougall gravy yesterday, which calls for brown rice flower. Should I use corn start or arrow root instead?

Is there a Mc Dougall program where someone reviews your food intake? Maybe that's what I need.

Thanks for any advice or encouragement.
rmartyce

Re: Just getting started

Postby kirkj » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:58 pm

People will comment and make suggestions if you post what you ate on a particular day. Usually, the more detail the better.
kirkj

Re: Just getting started

Postby frozenveg » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:14 pm

Yes, Kirk is right-- post a list of the foods that you are eating in as much detail as possible, people could help you with advice or suggestions. If you are eating according to the plan, you will lose weight. It might take longer than you wanted to, but it will come off.

Perhaps you should start a chart, and weigh yourself no more often than once a week, or possibly even once a month. That way, you can look back and see the progress that you have made. You could also find times where it you didn't lose and figure out why.

One initial suggestion: eating out at restaurants when trying to lose weight on this way of eating is not easy. Vegan restaurants seem to be among the most dangerous for us, offering food absolutely slathered in or oil, avocado, tofu, nut butters, and other things that are not going to help anyone lose weight! Often, I find nothing acceptable at a restaurant, except for plain green salad, and I bring my own salad dressing in my purse just for that purpose!

One big key to success on this way of eating is to plan ahead, to know what you're going to eat at the next meal or next snack, and to always be prepared. I decided to take sole responsibility for feeding myself, and not to leave it to chance to end up miles from home and hours from home with nothing to eat, thereby being "forced" to go to a restaurant.

Anyhow-- I hope this helps a bit! Post your list of what you're eating and folks can help!
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Return to How to Begin