What a difference 8 months make ... long post

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

What a difference 8 months make ... long post

Postby Amoux » Sat May 28, 2016 4:22 am

Hi everybody - this is my first post, although I'm an avid reader of the forum and have been since I joined back in October. I discovered McDougalling by a circuitous route, involving a Google search on Fodmops, after the worst sustained flare-up of IBS that I'd ever had. My hobby is long distance running (marathon and half marathon) - and I'm currently training my way up to running my first ultramarathon later this year. Anyway, on September 13th last year I ran the biggest half marathon in the world - the Great North Run - had a great time, but when I saw the photo of me someone had snapped on my mobile phone, I realised that enough was enough - I had gained a lot of weight, was bloated as all get out - and I needed to find something that worked. I was having to take Immodium every time I ran - and I knew that was not good for me at all - I'd experimented with eating at different times to see if that made a difference (it didn't) - I always ran on an empty stomach, just in case - but to no avail.

Anyway, the following day I weighed myself and got a shock (I was up to 185 pounds from 145 a bare 15 months earlier). I found my way to Dr McDougall's website, read up - and it all just clicked with me and made perfect sense (I should explain I'm a nutritionist and usually work with people who want to lose large amounts of weight - 100 pounds upwards). I downloaded MWP (and subsequently ordered The Starch Solution) onto my Kindle and started the same day. I was away for a long weekend in London a fortnight into this, took cooked potatoes, Shredded Wheat and fruit with me, and managed the food over the weekend just fine. I weighed myself after 10 weeks - and had lost 21 pounds. Which was great - but just not fast enough for me as for various reasons I'd decided I just didn't want to start another new year carrying excess poundage. Also, I was finding the food bland, despite all the herbs and seasonings. It was as though my taste buds were covered with a layer of clingfilm and I just wasn't tasting food clearly. Also, I was hating restricting fruit to two pieces a day - I've always eaten large quantities of fruit, and was starting to feel deprived (even though I understood why the restriction was there). Having worked with a lot of people and coaching them through the weight loss process, I knew this was not a good combination of feelings. So - as I was reading The Pleasure Trap, I got an idea from something in there - that some people benefited from a Fruit Fast (or a series of them) to clean the palate and help in the adjustment process. I knew I could lose weight fast by juicing - the problem is always in keeping the weight off when reverting to solid food. Anyway, in for a penny, in for a pound, I jumped - and did fruit (and vegetable) juice fasting 3 or 4 days a week. The other days of the week I had juices morning and evening, and a McDougall compliant main meal of the day at lunchtime. I did this up until 11th January, and finished off with 2 weeks of juicing (something I always do in January) - and before the two weeks were up my weight had fallen to a low that I had last weighed age around 12! My BMI had also gone below 18 and I felt that was too low - so I added McDougall food for the last 3 or 4 days, and stabilise the rapid loss. I ended up on 25th January down to 120 pounds - on that day I began McDougalling in earnest, and have done ever since.

My successes: a lot of them, the headline being in February the otherwise inexplicable reversal of progressive astigmatism in both eyes, following laser eye surgery in 2006. My ophthalmologist was at a loss as he has never seen this kind of improvement before - there is no trace of astigmatism in one eye, and now only minor astigmatism in the other (worse of the two) before, and he cross-questioned me about what I was eating (he had noticed the weight I had lost since he'd seen me the previous year) - and what exercise I was doing - and was of the opinion that the food 'could be doing it'. My blood pressure is down to 98/68 (from a high of around 130/78). I was diagnosed with auto-immune hypothyroidism and auto-immune pernicious anaemia back in 2002 - my dosage of levothyroxine has been reduced and I am taking another blood test on Tuesday as it likely requires further downward adjustment - will keep this post updated as it happens. I have to take sub-lingual B12 for pernicious anaemia, so it's handy that it's a supplement Dr McDougall approves of :-D I have stopped taking D3, of which I have taken a high dose (1,000 i/u daily) for 6 years - I took it after seeing the research on its efficacy for S.A.D. - far better than lux lamps - and it has been 100% effective as a preventive. However, seeing as I have been feeling so unbelievably well, when I was finishing the jar, I thought well, let's give it a whirl. I would have to say that my 'baseline happiness' for want of a better term has increased out of all recognition as the weeks and months go by - I don't EVER remember feeling this darn good. My total cholesterol is 3mmol/L.

[Background info - I'm 57 years old, have been mainly (a high fat) vegan (or vegetarian) for about 10 years, and I'm 5' 8" tall.]

Anyway, last weekend I ran another half marathon - the first since the Great North Run back last September. I smashed my personal best time by an astonishing 23 minutes! And the course last weekend was far tougher, with a lot more hills! That improvement has given me more pleasure than almost anything I can remember, and I just wanted to let Dr McDougall know that he has made a 'mature' runner very happy :) The first photo is from the September 2015 race - the second (race number 2154) is from the race last Sunday, May 22nd - and I think you'll notice a difference ...

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our chance to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom."

Viktor E Frankl
Amoux

Re: What a difference 8 months make ... long post

Postby JaniceYvonne » Sat May 28, 2016 9:18 am

Holy Cow
JaniceYvonne

Postby BroccoliForever » Sat May 28, 2016 11:51 am

Wow! Ultra marathon here you COME! Congratulations! You are an absolute inspiration. You look amazing.
BroccoliForever

Postby JaniceYvonne » Sat May 28, 2016 4:15 pm

Amoux What do you eat on a daily basis at this point in your journey?
JaniceYvonne

Postby Veganrocks » Sat May 28, 2016 7:30 pm

I'm a runner too, Amoux. Congratulations on the phenomenal life change!!! I'm interested in your daily fare as well... I've been vegan since 1975, and no SOS for the last 6 years. I love this way of eating. Looks like you're thriving!! :D
Veg since 1977.
Veganrocks

Postby Amoux » Sat May 28, 2016 11:46 pm

Thanks for the replies, everyone - much appreciated. My personal favourite is the 'Holy Cow' one, which is making me giggle :D

I eat HUGE quantities of food! Unbelievable, really. And I love every mouthful - even though I eat more or less the same thing most days, it always tastes good.

I start the day with a very early Ginger Shot (apple and root ginger juiced) and drink a litre of water in the first 90 minutes of getting up.

Breakfast: 80g dried weight gluten free oats (I think that's about 4/5 of a cup) made into porridge with water, mix in a lot of ground cinnamon when it's cooked, top it with cherry/berry compote, fresh raspberries, blueberries, pineapple and strawberries - followed by two baked potatoes topped with mixed veggies (peas, sweetcorn, peppers, spinach, etc.) followed by an apple and a banana.

Lunch: bowl of veggie soup; 3 baked potatoes topped with red pepper hummus and/or salsa; a bowl of steamed broccoli; an apple and a banana.

Dinner: bowl of veggie soup; a big bowl of mixed salad leaves, red pepper, red onion, and chopped apple with a fat free dressing; 4 baked potatoes with chili bean and tomato stew and veggie medley; a big bowl of tropical fruit sorbet (made from banana, pineapple, mango, kiwi fruit, papaya, etc.)

Supper: a small bowl of gluten free oats made into porridge (30 g dry weight - about a 1/3 of a cup, I think).

I make everything myself - the only thing I buy made up is the fat free salad dressing that I love - I am experimenting to make a good one myself, but haven't cracked it yet :)

Breakfast is probably my favourite meal of the day - I run five days a week, and when I get back from my runs, tucking into breakfast is a real highlight of the day :D
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our chance to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom."

Viktor E Frankl
Amoux

Postby viv » Sun May 29, 2016 10:57 am

Wow! That is a LOT of food. The running must burn off a tremendous amount of calories, so you need your fuel. Congratulations on the changes you have made and best of all that you are feeling great.

I would be curious as to how your levothyroxine dosage has been decreased. I was originally on 150 mcg now 100 mcg after three years of McDougalling. It the first time in 30 years that my dosage has been decreased. (I have Hashimoto's.)

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby Amoux » Sun May 29, 2016 1:03 pm

So far my levothyroxine has been reduced from 150mcg to 125mcg (at the start of February) - and I should have been back at the beginning of this month for a repeat blood test, but May kind of got away from me :-D The plan is to go down to 100mcg - depending on how much TSH there is - there was effectively zero at the end of January blood test, hence the decision to step down the dosage slowly and see what happens. I'll definitely post again here when I get the results of Tuesday's test - probably will get the results on Friday, with a bit of luck.

And yes, as to the quantities of food - it's quite astonishing :) I run 50 miles + a week, so it makes sense to me that I need to keep filling up the fuel tank. Which us no penance at all - in fact, it's utterly wonderful for me - I do love my McDougall food :)

Viktor E Frankl
Amoux

Re: What a difference 8 months make ... update

Postby Amoux » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:23 pm

So I got the latest blood test results back yesterday - more excellent news :-D

My T4 levels are right in the middle of normal, but still very low TSH to be found, so the Levothyroxine dosage is still too high - we're dropping to 100mcg for 8 weeks, and will test again with a view to dropping to 75mcg. Very happy indeed with this progress - although of course it may be more weight-loss related than otherwise, or it may be that the body is working to heal itself ... we shall see.

On another note while I was at the doctors' surgery on Tuesday I also found out my Triglyceride levels from my recent blood test (given the amount of fruit I eat - and have eaten - for so many years, I thought I better check this) and to my delight found it was nice and low at 0.32 mmol/L.

Another success for the Starch Solution - thank you once again, Dr McDougall :)

Viktor E Frankl
Amoux

Postby wade4veg » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:19 am

I started running in competition in 1965... and have kept up either running or biking since then.
My BMI at 5' 8", 127.5 pounds, is now 19.3.
I still exercise 5 to 6 days week. Either running/jogging, or climbing hills, or biking. Average about a 45 min to 1 hour per day.

Having said all of the above, I don't think having a BMI under 18.5 is a healthy or a particularly good goal.
I also think ultra-marathons are excessive, especially for individuals over age 50.
I spent most of my 50's doing a excessive amount of biking...training... and racing.
I now regret the time I spent doing such excessive exercise.
It brought me no added health and was just a excessive indulgence. But all during that time I was thinking how healthy I was.
My time would have been much better spent doing something useful while doing a more moderate amount of exercise.
I know how it is when you "get into it"... but I don't think its a sign of a well balanced life, nor a healthy life.
I think your most recent photo is not that of a person in optimal health..... though it mirrors what I looked like during some of my fifties.
(I would note, that photos taken during exercise or shortly thereafter, often given a drained appearance)

I know everyone here is rah rah... but I thought another perspective would be useful to contemplate.
Its not just ultra-marathons that I think are unhealthy.... I also think that for folks past age 50 that training for regular marathons are of zero health value. Half marathons OK... Past that is of no health value, and can often be negative.
You can become addicted to exercise and easily fool yourself into thinking it is healthy.

For people over age 50, I would rank, flexibility, strength (including upper body), balance/agility, and cardiovascular fitness each of equal value.
We can all go overboard in striving for health. We can even do it in our diet. I'm 66 now and went through the more extreme exercise phase. I gained no lasting value from that journey.
wade4veg

Postby Amoux » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:13 am

I hear you, wade4veg. The thing is that I don't run for health - I run for pleasure. I run 5 days a week - and I'm exceptionally careful about injuries.

I do daily yoga and pilates - and have done for years - the Pilates as a preventive for running injury - I also do cardio horizontal rebounding. I'm a qualified yoga teacher too, and have no desire whatsoever to limit my mobility, so I'm careful in how I use my body. I do appreciate your concern and understand why you voiced it. As to my not looking in optimal health - all I can tell you is that my medical practice tell me I'm in excellent health and to keep doing what I'm doing. Also that two people have commented recently how I 'glow' with health. A relatively steep uphill run after a ridiculously fast start has probably contributed to the less than optimal look you mention.

And a friend who joined me for the weekend (she's not a runner) felt that I looked so well she has embraced McDougalling! And another friend has started to follow this way of eating too - so I guess I can't look too bad.

It's good to hear another point of view - and I appreciate your taking the time to voice it. You can rest assured I self-monitor and will be careful - if the ultra thing doesn't pan out, it doesn't pan out - but so far, so good :)

Viktor E Frankl
Amoux

Postby Veganrocks » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:33 am

I honestly think and believe that one size does not fit all. I applaud you Amoux!! Way to go! Do i want to run an ultra? Nope. I run, but run 7 days a week, 6 miles. Most of my friends/family think that's excessive. Does it work for me? Yes. For the past 40 years.
Veg since 1977.
Veganrocks

Postby Amoux » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:54 am

Thanks, Veganrocks :-D I appreciate that - and I agree with you about it being what works for the individual. My running time is my 'me' time - no phone calls, no clients, out in nature, running in the hills - I feel incredibly privileged to live in such a beautiful part of the world where I can take full advantage of such a glorious environment :) We're at the coast so I have the sea to my left, and the hills to my right - it's pretty darn close to perfect.

Viktor E Frankl
Amoux

Postby brbbiking » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:26 pm

Amazing amoux, well done!
brbbiking

Postby Amoux » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:11 pm

Thanks, brbbiking :)

Viktor E Frankl
Amoux

Next

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories