6-29-2014 update on MS

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

6-29-2014 update on MS

Postby Roey » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:23 am

Hey all,

I decided to move things here to facilitate further discussion on multiple sclerosis (MS). My first post about my experience with the McDougall program is from May 13, 2013: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36733#p372943, where I had gone a year on the low-fat Maximum Weight Loss Plan (MWLP), had had an MRI and found everything stable.

A couple of months later I had an MRI and we found a new enhancing lesion.

A year later, we did an MRI on June 26, 2014 and found everything stable, with that lesion shrunken. At this point I have been following MWLP for two years with MS medication only intermittently and have experienced no new symptoms or noticeable degradation in function. For a few years now since before I started with this way of eating (WOE), my left foot has been tiring out quickly, but I've found that this improves with the more walking that I do: Last year I found that walking between five and six miles per day on my way to the office and back, as well as climbing many floors during lunch, strengthens the muscle and alleviates the issue. Owing to this WOE, my bodyweight has stayed the exact same since last year.

Roey
Roey

Re: 6-29-2014 update on MS

Postby Ampin Up » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:45 pm

Great news! I'm very happy for you. A very inspiring story.
Jeff - Certified Starch Solution Instructor
Down over 50 lbs and controlling BP, cholesterol, diabetes and arthritis no meds
Free Health info and recipes on my website
Self-Paced classes from $1
https://sites.google.com/site/letsbehealthytogether/
Ampin Up

Postby snapple » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:22 am

Great news Roey.

Im in a similar situation

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=43388

I cant tell you what it means to have someone with same issues (i.e. not just worried about weight). So..

Have you noticed any improvments of existing 'damage' done by MS?
Do you ever think having more oil (e.g. flaxseed / linseed) oil, than strictly allowed in this diet - helps (we might benefit from fats that heal nerves) etc?
I want to be posting this time next year in a lot happier state than im in now - how long before you felt diet was working?

Regards, snapple
snapple

Postby Roey » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:27 am

Hey there Snapple! Thanks for your reply. I agree that it's reassuring to find others facing the same challenges. I read your initial post that you linked to, and am continuing to read your updates there. For here, I wanted to reply to your questions:

Have you noticed any improvments of existing 'damage' done by MS?

As Dr. McDougall mentions, there is no expectation for lost function to be regained on this way of eating (WOE), but the transient effects can lessen. For me this WOE eliminated tingling in my digits and markedly reduced the false-heat and false-cold perceptions in the skin on my legs. Regarding fatigue, I consider myself fortunate that I have not so far faced what others with MS appear to suffer, even after consuming large quantities of food. I don't feel sleep-deprived as long as I'm able to wake up naturally with the light, and even in the winter when I wake up with the alarm, I don't need much sleep--about 6-7 hours before I wake up on my own (though if I'm in a meeting that's particularly boring, then nothing short of a small cup of coffee will keep me awake.)

I've found that in periods when I walk a lot, my weaker left ankle gets stronger and I can maintain a normal walking gait longer.

Do you ever think having more oil (e.g. flaxseed / linseed) oil, than strictly allowed in this diet - helps (we might benefit from fats that heal nerves) etc?

Given what I've read about oil in diets, I somehow doubt that adding oil will ameliorate the situation. If anything, MS sufferers appeared to benefit from keeping their diet as low in saturated fat as possible, and from a low-fat WOE overall.

I want to be posting this time next year in a lot happier state than im in now - how long before you felt diet was working?

Mmm, about six months? A year? The tingling subsided very quickly, and over time I just noticed larger changes in an overall way ("holistic", sound about right? ;)), with my bodyweight and all of my vitals looking pretty good and remaining stable over time. What are your symptoms?

You mentioned that you faced a challenge with keeping yourself satisfied throughout the day. Why not get a Japanese sweet potato, put it in the microwave for 11 minutes, cube it and put that in a plastic Glad box so that you can always have a filling starch to eat when you get hungry? I stopped making smoothies a long time ago because I did not find them satiating in the long-term; on the other hand, I did increase my consumption of starch, as I found that this does the job pretty well. When I feel satisfied after eating starch, I feel completely satisfied and no longer get distracted by hunger.

Japanese sweet potatoes are my personal preference for breakfasts and snacks, and they sell these at My Organic Market in the Washington, DC area; feel free to try whichever starch you like! Sweet potatoes, potatoes, rice, quinoa, etc.

Regarding the peer pressure you mentioned: let's keep in mind that we are in control of what goes into our mouths. Buck up and take responsibility. It would help to stop seeing restaurants as places to satisfy one's hunger, and more as places to socialize. I pre-eat my own food at home when I can, so that I'm comfortable eating just a fresh salad (dressing on the side) when I'm with my friends and coworkers. I just finished a project which saw me going staying multiple times in hotels for up to a week at a time. So that I would never need to rely on a restauarant to satisfy my hunger, I prepared everything ahead of time and made sure that my hotel room had a microwave and a refrigerator (that's another huge one, really).

- Roey
Roey

Postby snapple » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:10 am

Hi Roey,

Many thanks for getting back, and apologies for my slow response. I really appreciate your advice. Unfortunately, your advice of

Buck up and take responsibility

is very good and something i need to hear. I've been binging on food and drink since my post (huge binges of chips, chees,e chocolate, beer) etc - it all starts with a few drinks and some self pitty, and as a result, im feeling very bad now (vision, legs, coordinatation, fatigue).

I NEED to take control and responsibility. Why is my own life not important enough? Anyway, reading

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Pleasure-Trap-Mastering-Undermines/dp/1570671974

and hitting rock bottom, will hopefully be enough for me to change FOREVER, before its too late. I agree with you about oils, in fact I just have milled flaxseed instead and fry with water (pretty stupid after binging on fast food and icr cream for weeks).

I find that after about 1 month of really good diet, tingling, numbness, vision and coordination all imrpove, but its getting harder and harder.

I guess I need to feel better and stay there, not use it as excuse to binge and damage myself. Im agree with you about bigger changes taking longer, i find that after a few months, i just "feel more normal" - like ive joined th human race again.

I kind of want to become a new person, someone who lives this WOE (i like it, enjoy it and love all the stuff most people dont) - but i just screw up and cant carry on doing that. I feel so good when i stick to McDougall plan, and love my greens and garlic etc.

I hope to take inspiration from someone who really did stablaise their MS.

Thank you.

Regards, snapple
snapple

Postby maggieleaps8 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:21 pm

Hi Snapple

I am 'new' to this way of life, and have not taken it up due to serious medical issues as it seems you have. However, i do feel better when i eat this way and kick myself when I don't. Also sometimes the more I tell myself 'you can't have that' the more I want it. Now I say 'you can have that, but it won't make you feel great, probably make you feel bad, and you'll have to eat something else right after because it won't fill you up, still want it?'
I truly hope you are able to find a way to make it work for you before it is too late and you can't go back to relatively good health. Sometimes I do resent 'having' to eat this way and watching others eat pizza and ice cream and really anything they want without giving a thought to how it will make them feel, or how much weight it will make them gain (ignorance is bliss but knowledge is power kinda thing). I imagine all of us have gone through this to some degree at some point in our journey.
Have you tried eating a big meal before shopping so that you do not buy any of the things that tempt you? My friend does this and it works very well for her. You can't binge on what is not there.

happy (healthy) eating

*M
maggieleaps8

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories