One Month Lipid Results

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

One Month Lipid Results

Postby djdasher » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:06 am

Trying to be a healthy person, I have always been concerned that my lipid profile didn't reflect that. In summary, my total cholesterol has always been high and rising. My HDL is high because I work out quite a bit. My ratios were borderline "ok", per my doctor. I'm 65 years old, 5'9" and about 165 pounds.

I decided to give plant foods a chance. For the month of July, I ate only plant-based foods. On August 2, I went in for my pre-physical blood lipid panel. These are my results. The first number is prior to plant foods and the second number is with a plant-based diet:

Total Chol 263 210
HDL 67 74
LDL 177 116
Chol/HDL 3.9 2.8
LDL/HDL 2.6 1.6

I'm very pleased with these results. If I continue with the program, am I likely to see even more improvement?

Also, can anyone explain to me the significance of the ratio's? I'm not sure what they mean.

Thank you,

DJ
djdasher

Re: One Month Lipid Results

Postby ETeSelle » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:19 am

You will probably continue to see improvements for quite some time as you lose weight. :) Congrats!
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby Vegankit » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:05 pm

Most people see a drop very quickly but others, such as myself it slowly dropped over a two year period.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Re: One Month Lipid Results (One Year Update)

Postby djdasher » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:19 am

Hello Everyone,

This is an update of my journey. As you can see by my very first message, my results after just one month were dramatic: Total Cholesterol down 53 points, LDL down 61 points and HDL up 7 points. I was exited, to say the least. Some people commented that my "year later" results would be even better. Well, I've passed a year and just got my results: Total Cholesterol down another 6 points, LDL down another 5 points and HDL down 3 points (to 71 from 74). My ratios are almost unchanged (2.87 / 2.8).

As far as lowering my cholesterol any further, I feel as if I've kind of bottomed out. Don't get me wrong, my ratio went from 3.9 to 2.8. I recognize the significance of this positive change. I'm thinking that my body is producing more cholesterol than I need. I base this upon the fact that I'm eating as cleanly as I can and still am above 200 and the fact that my most significant improvement was in the very first month.

During the same period, my RBC count went from 4.07 to 3.92. I've always had a low RBC count. I don't think that I'm getting enough iron. I seem to be fatigued, especially during vigorous exercise. I take a multi, but it doesn't contain iron.

Would anyone like to comment on my cholesterol and iron readings? Thanks...

Dennis
djdasher

Postby Acura » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:28 am

Do you have more weight to lose? If yes, that should reduce some cholesterol. It seems your starting cholesterol was some what high ( not knowing your anatomy), on average People lose 60-70 points on TC. Some do even more. But mostly what I have seen is if your starting TC is 220, then you come down to 160 etc.
CC
Acura

Postby djdasher » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:16 pm

I'm 5'9" and about 160 lbs. I work out 5-6 days of the week. I don't believe that I have much to lose, as I've never really been overweight. I think that my body produces too much cholesterol. In total I've lost 59 points in cholesterol. I don't think that I can change what my body naturally does with respect to cholesterol. I like that my HDL is high and my ratio's are so much better. Can't argue about that.
djdasher

Postby Ern2Win » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:03 pm

djdasher wrote:I'm 5'9" and about 160 lbs. I work out 5-6 days of the week. I don't believe that I have much to lose, as I've never really been overweight. I think that my body produces too much cholesterol. In total I've lost 59 points in cholesterol. I don't think that I can change what my body naturally does with respect to cholesterol. I like that my HDL is high and my ratio's are so much better. Can't argue about that.

Would you describe yourself as heavily muscled? Your BMI is 23.6 which would seem to indicate you do have plenty of room to lose weight, unless you are heavily muscled with low body fat. What is your waist to hip ratio?

Good luck with your eating program. I expect that you can continue to reduce your cholesterol numbers if you are following the McDougall program faithfully.

Ernie
Ern2Win

Postby ETeSelle » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:14 am

Are you following the plan CLOSELY? Do you cook with any oil? Do you eat out more than occasionally?
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby Acura » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:56 am

djdasher wrote:I'm 5'9" and about 160 lbs. I work out 5-6 days of the week. I don't believe that I have much to lose, as I've never really been overweight. I think that my body produces too much cholesterol. In total I've lost 59 points in cholesterol. I don't think that I can change what my body naturally does with respect to cholesterol. I like that my HDL is high and my ratio's are so much better. Can't argue about that.

If you have never been too heavy and you certainly are not now. Therefore, you are right in thinking, your body produces little too much cholesterol compare to average. Who is to say this problem? As long as you are eating the right stuff which it seems like you are otherwise you wouldn't have got where you are.
CC
Acura

Postby ETeSelle » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:07 am

Are you following the plan CLOSELY? Do you cook with any oil? Do you eat out more than occasionally?
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

ETeSelle

Postby darad » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:22 pm

DJ, did you manage to drop a few pounds in the process? Actually, your BMI was not very high, and close to being within the desired range, i.e. <23.

Realize the red blood cells have a lifespan of 120 days, hence after four months on the plant diet your cholesterol should stabilize to its target value. Further changes could require an even more strict plant diet, in my estimation.
darad

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories