Doing the "Happy Dance"

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Doing the "Happy Dance"

Postby velvetelvis » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:34 pm

My apologies in advance for the long post:

Prior to an understanding of diet/health relationships in May of 2008, I was on 3-4 medications for uncontrolled high blood pressure, trying to control A-Fib with implanted monitors, meds, coumadin, and not realizing that I was overweight at 5’3” and at least 145 lbs.:

Cardiac Risk: 2.19
Cholesterol: 217
Triglycerides: 149

By December of 2008:

Cardiac Risk: 4.56
Cholesterol: 223
Triglycerides: 149

February of 2009, I read The China Study, changed, never looked back and read and learn more with each passing day.

By March of 2009:

Cardiac Risk: 1.27
Cholesterol: 191
Triglycerides: 121

With the passage of time and gathering of knowledge and the finer points that can impact test results, today’s doctor visit (6/25/12) was:

Weight: 117 lbs.
Cholesterol: 163
Triglycerides: 111 (which the doctor says may not be lower due to genetics)
Cardiac Risk: 0.68

WBC was a bit low @ 3.4. I said that might be due to lack of inflammation as a result of my diet. Dr. said, “Bingo, that’s it exactly and nothing to worry about.”

The greatest progress toward today’s results compared to those of 2008 are, of course, the diet changes but greatly enhanced as fat and processed foods were phased out.

I’m happy with my doctor but disappointed that, although he’s vegan himself, his wife and family are not, and he still feels that if a patient thinks 10-20% of diet from animal protein is vital, he does not force the issue. I got the impression he recommends but does not sell a low fat, plant based protocol assuming that it won’t be followed. Therefore, he’s not totally on board with The Starch Solution as, although not said in so many words, that many starches coupled with 10-20% animal protein = meat ‘n taters. That said, if you follow The Starch Solution information, Dr. McDougall’s program is not lotsa taters and some meat.

All in all I’m very happy and found what I believe I need to know to live heathy with little medical intervention on beyond my 69 years.
velvetelvis

Re: Doing the "Happy Dance"

Postby talkingmountain » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:07 pm

Congratulations! It's amazing what health can be acheived just by following this way of eating!

(And consider yourself lucky that you have a doc who doesn't push dairy on you! :nod: )
talkingmountain

Postby velvetelvis » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:19 pm

Thanks, talkingmountain. I am truly lucky to have the doctor I have. It was in his treatment room while waiting to be seen that I found The China Study on his windowsill. I bought my own copy that same day.

I failed to mention that as of today, I am no longer on any blood pressure meds -- all attributable to the change in diet.
velvetelvis

Postby Frieda » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:29 pm

Wonderful!

I'm glad your doc is supportive as well.
Frieda

Postby ETeSelle » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:51 pm

CONGRATS TO YOU!!! That's wonderful! Keep up the great work!
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby lmggallagher » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:48 pm

:-D :) :-D :D FABULOUS. :-) :) :-D :D

I am so happy for you. My doctor is vegan too, she hasn't said so, but she recommends all the best cookbooks and recipes from them.

I seriously get the feeling that more of them are going this way than we know. Yet, they don't have the feeling that their patients, and (in your doc's case) family members are willing to take the plunge.

Considering the backlash we get when we mention our WOE, I can somewhat sympathize with those Docs that don't push it, but sell it on the sly - chuckled at the "China Study" on the window sill.

Aren't we lucky were are here and have these successes to share - it's just wonderful :)
lmggallagher

Postby velvetelvis » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:54 am

Thanks to all and to this forum for access to the best information and motivation. Onward, saving lives, one potato at a time!
velvetelvis

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories