Energy, exercise, and McD

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Energy, exercise, and McD

Postby danmc » Sun May 27, 2012 9:48 am

This is a testimony for those concerned with having enough energy and doing strenuous exercise on this WOE.

Since starting McD on Feb. 8th, I've been biking quite a bit, in addition to swimming when the weather's not nice enough to bike. Since we had a warm winter and early spring I was able to get out early. On April 2nd I decided to buy a new road bike. I have a hybrid that I had for 12 years, but decided that I enjoyed biking on the road rather than trails. Since getting the new bike I've put 641 miles on it, including rides of 54, 47, and 45 miles. This is in addition to swimming 24 laps on days when the weather isn't nice enough to cycle.

I'm 47yo and don't have any issue at all with having enough energy for these long rides of up to 3 and 4 hours. My staple food is brown rice, and I probably eat 6 cooked cups a day, excepting those days that I have whole wheat pasta. I eat lots of potatoes, salads, veggies, fruits, whole grain bread...adhering pretty strictly to the McD regular plan.

I've used the Cronometer in the past to put in a few typical days meals and saw that I was getting all of the protein (OMG, where do you get your protein! Someone please think of the protein!) and nutrients that I need. Now I don't even think about it!

I love the fact that I can just eat and eat as much as I want as long as I stick to the McD foods. :D

So if a near-50yo :crybaby: can keep up this pace, then I don't think that this should be an issue for anyone concerned with having enough energy on this WOE to exercise.
danmc

Re: Energy, exercise, and McD

Postby themaillady » Mon May 28, 2012 6:27 am

Very inspiring! I walk all day delivering mail and I don't have any problems with energy issues either. I walk about 9 mile or so. I also take bike rides on my off days and try to be as active as possible at home. I am going on a hiking trip in July, so I will see how eating this way works out then. Great post!
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w36XQEN/]
[/url]
themaillady

Re: Energy, exercise, and McD

Postby Brad » Tue May 29, 2012 7:58 am

I concur. I do a long run (for me now) of 6 miles and bike ride of 30 miles weekly and have never had an energy issue while excercising. I was not recovering quickly afterwards though. I tried a vegan protein supplement immediately following excercise and it really helped. 57, so no crying over being almost 50!!! :D
brad
My Weight Chart:
Image[/url]>
Brad

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories